Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2023 3:35:26 AM EDT
Stopped off at a field I've not coyote hunted in a while to see if this big gobbler I've been watching was out and about. I'm not a turkey hunter but this guy has me thinking hard about trying to get him, I saw a fairly big coyote pacing along the edge of the woods about 450-500 yards out so I figured I set up and try the field. Good thing I did.

I was set up and about 8:20 pm I had a coyote slowly working towards me at my 1:00 as I played one of favorite sounds... LIGHTNING JACK. I panned to my right to make sure nothing was slipping up behind me only to see there was... FOUR GUYS with three dogs. They were trespassing looking to catch hogs and were coming right towards me, I can't believe they didn't hear my caller.

I got down out of my truck and as they got close I confronted and detained them as I already was on the phone with dispatch and had guys headed to me. This makes eleven trespassers and twice my hunt has been fucked up. I called the property owner and he insisted on prosecution so they were cited and released. I went back to hunting as I was already set up and figured the night was early.

All in all I knocked down five but one must have got up and wandered off. The grass and briars were thick in the field in some places and even with thermal finding a couple was difficult.  The action was steady with a coyote coming to the call about every forty-five minutes I'd guess, called it a night at about 2am.

Group photo... one looks to be in bad shape.

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 4:00:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#1]
Love it.

F’ers kill all the time around here.  We have a creek in a depression on the property and I sit out some nights trying to catch them.  No success on my end and I applaud your work.  Good work.

And LoL, if you like turkey let me drive you over to Idaho this fall. You literally have to not hit them with your car to get a beautiful one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 4:06:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jack67:
Love it.

F’ers kill all the time around here.  We have a creek in a depression on the property and I sit out some nights trying to catch them.  No success on my end and I applaud your work.  Good work.
View Quote

Thanks.

Well...it helps being a Deputy myself, I could not imagine in my adult life trespassing like that on someone else's property. I know they are just having fun, but there have been problems in the past with trespassers and the property owners are just fed up.

I spend a good deal of time on this ranch and if people are out there it's just a matter of time until I catch you. When I work night shift, I do a lot of thermal surveillance so that helps.

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 4:18:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#3]
Oh, I get it now. I missed/skipped the first paragraph in your post that you were not hunting the coyote.  Got it now.

Still I applaud it.

My deep aversion is about 10 years ago, I was riding into a big park on horseback, spotted a dead small dog off the trail. I stopped and retrieved the body; it was ugly and had been gutted by coyotes. I took the tag, buried it, and called the owner later w/the bad news.  Not the hardest thing I’ve done in my life, but sad and unnecessary.  Hate them.

I have set up for coyotes on our property before, no luck.  Laid out nights from dusk to midnight and no joy (only a few times, not all the time!).  Wish I had your success / glad you had it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I shot a coyote that attacked my pup in my front yard
Cops were called by a lefty down the street

Cops were understanding,and the caller then lost her shit lol.
Pup was fine .
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Good job! I hate trespassers!
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like an Awesome night!

Sad that people have no respect these days!

Would love to go chase some turkeys, hogs or both with you....

Stay safe!

Red
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Trespassers I would be pretty aggravated. Thanks for busting & getting them prosecuted
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on the coyotes and hopefully the trespassers learned their lesson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top