Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2021 3:33:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tex7488]
All right help me out.

Have a couple acres, back up to 250 acres of unused land (water reclamation). It’s 1 mile from my door to the next house.

I occasionally see coyotes in my fully fenced yard, regularly hear them just on the other side of the fence, and regularly get them on camera at the fence line.

I’d like to kill some of them now that my dog pack has dwindled with age and my toddlers are roaming farther. I’ve snared the fence but only got deer unfortunately. When I call them I see movement across the fence (heavy brush) but they won’t cross the fence for a call and bait. They will randomly cross the fence though day or night.

I’ve called day time and with NV. I’ll hear them at the fence or see them, but can’t shoot across the fence line.

How do I get these fuckers to cross the fence when I’m hunting them, and not when they feel like it? For what it’s worth I’ve reinforced, fixed, and repaneled several sections to keep them out, but that hasn’t worked. If I could find where they enter, I’d fix that section, but I can’t ever see them come in. It’s horse panel and barb wire tops.

So, 1 I’d like to thin them out and 2 see where they are coming in. What’s the best way to go about this? Are they just jumping 4 ft of fence?

This is also cyclical, one day we have a pack, and then they disappear for 2 weeks. They have hunting pressure from contracted  trappers on the other side but I think that’s over.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Any chance you could get a large carcass of some kind? Road kill deer, dead cow or horse or something?
What are you baiting them with? Or Shoot, shovel and shut up?
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNC:
I've rarely seen coyotes respond to a game call with rabbits or challenge calls. We've kille one that way. Around here I think they get too much education.

They don't seem to be able to stay away from barking dogs, though. Every time I've been on a set near a farm and a dog starts barking at them, they will come in. They are still smart enough to stay under cover or out of range, but it's a start.
View Quote

I get the same thing rabbit calls. They look my way but won't turn and come in.

Change to puppy in distress and here they come.

Watched it happen a couple times . Able to see for miles and spot one 1000 yds out and come running toward you is a rush.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds to me like they've been educated. Are you paying attention to the wind?

Try a different sound and sit in a different spot. Sit still for 10-15 minutes before you start calling. Make sure the wind is in your favor.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I see your in TX n I'm in Appalachia.  Way different tactics I assume.  Probably way different animals.  I sit in woods where I can cover some ground, or over a field, tucked back in woods.  Good camo.  Pay attention to wind.  I use a fox pro electronic decoy and fox pro electronic call.  I stick with distress calls and start calling soft before i get louder - woodpecker, cottontail, blue jay, fieldmouse, etc.  If nothing happens within an hour, I move on to another spot.

The only other ways I know to play are sitting over bait, or catching them at random.  Longest shots I have access to are probably 200 yards, but I've killed all of mine 40 yards or closer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
A 4ft fence is no match for a hungry coyote, or deer.

If they *want to come over, they will jump it easily. The question is how much do they want it? Might just be easier for them to eat elsewhere.

As far as hunting them, I can’t help, have yet to be successful in actively hunting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:32:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tex7488] [#8]
I ended up getting a cell camera today.

I’m gonna put it in a clearing on the other side of the fence, should help know when they are around since they obviously only come by every few weeks.

Combine that with NV and calls hopefully I’ll be able to get eyes on to put a dent.

Edit: I put out food scraps and deer carcass semi regularly but they always come at weird times and I can’t stay out all night.

Hopefully a cell cam will help instead of pulling SD card.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#9]
why cant you shoot over the fence?  Sounds like it is not your land but uninhabited correct?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been there and done well in the past. Here's a few tips.

1. They can hear you coming. Closing car doors, house doors, foot steps, talking, crunching leaves under foot. They know regular animal sounds and what people sound like. Stealth is the key.

2. They have great eye sight. They can see ya coming hundred of yards away. Move slow and quite.

3. They can smell you down wind.

Get into a spot quite as possible and setup high, where you can overlook a large area. If you are hand calling, they'll also come from behind and downwind. Electronic callers out 50 yards+. Get a buddy to watch your flank. Stay quite. Car doors quite. Walking in quite. They'll come if they are there and haven't spotted you. Get on the other side of the fence. If you are setting up to call, how much noise are you making? Also when they come in, are you visible? If I was on the other side of the fence, could I see you?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By everready73:
why cant you shoot over the fence?  Sounds like it is not your land but uninhabited correct?
View Quote

Not my land. County land, owned by the city, for water conservation. Nobody is on it but they have cameras all over and have been issuing trespass to all my neighbors lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top