Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2018 8:29:07 AM EDT
Looking at trying to black bear hunt next year.  Been just reading up on it and think I'm going to use my 458 socom.  Any advice on bullet selection.  For deer I've always used the 300gr xtp bullet which is awesome.  Some of what I've read says something like that would be good on black bear and others have mentioned using a more solid bullet for penetration.  I have no experience with black bear.  Is penetration an issue with something like a 458 socom.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#1]
i shoot barns tripple shock in my 458. i would absolutely use it on bear within 50-100 yards. penetration is a factor with bear hunting, they are tough and will run far even with mortally wounded. Getting them down quickly is what we want

to give you a perspective , i shot a bear in the chest with a 300 win at 25-30 feet, and the bullet never passed through. i found the bullet wedged up against the skin , never passing through.  180 gr nosler partition

this is the entrance hole

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ive also killed bears with 240gr JHP out of a 44 mag.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bldsmith] [#2]
Though I have yet to kill a bear, 300ttsx is my preferred.  Most accurate and very impressive performance.  Then again anything from the 225gn, 300jhp 325ftx and 405 rjsp would do fine.  Even if it does not expand a 45 caliber hole will do some serious damage.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
300gr xtp bullet
View Quote
That bullet will do just fine for bear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top