Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2017 1:09:10 PM EDT
Hey guys looking for a good bear spray to carry. Through bear areas. I know they are rare but as a precaution.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry Counter Assault Brand.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You think the 8 oz would suffice ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:51:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slopes-2-Shores] [#3]
Yes. It's unlikely to be used.
FWIW I do always carry a handgun too.

Cheers!
-JC

ETA: I have sprayed a bear that was just a little too comfortable on my porch. They don't like it, it works.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I carry a glock 17 and the guy I go with carries the same.  I have a 44 magnum 6 shot but its from my grandfather and not registered to carry .
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
45-70 for sure
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:06:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: its2234me] [#6]
Originally Posted By Nightstalker32:
Hey guys looking for a good bear spray to carry. Through bear areas. I know they are rare but as a precaution.  Thanks.
View Quote
Black, Brown, Grizzly, Polar? So much information... Bears are not hard to find here but if you're in Chicago? Counter Assault and UDAP are the players and they both have their followers. Size? Whatever size you pick will be feeling pretty small if you're being charged. Pick something with an appropriate holster and safety so you can get to it fast and not fumble. Just had an attack here the other day that the victim fumbled his spray and his hiking partner probably saved his ass.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Plently of bears in Chicago. You haven't heard ? Lol.   But just a general spray. Mainly for black bears. Manistee national forest. Smaller cats also , and whatever found between, Illinois, Michigan Indiana and Tennessee.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: its2234me] [#8]
Hmm forgot about Da Bears and I'm actually from there. Whatever you pick get at least 8 ounces with the most range and longest duration you can find. Montana FWP says 12-25 feet and at least 7 seconds of discharge. I've met a number of bears but never been really charged. I can tell you that no matter what gun or spray you are carrying will it feel tiny when you meet a bear in the woods. I used OC many times on duty and would'nt even consider one of those products for a walk in the woods. Creepy people and nippy dogs are easier to deal with!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top