Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2019 1:49:59 AM EDT
I would like to take a class with my youngest son. He has shown great interest in it since, he was a little guy. Now that he is
older, I would like to do this with him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
@beemerman
I know this is an old thread but I just saw it earlier today.
I've never been to any of the survival trainers courses but I figure don't over think it. Get a couple of books, watch some Youtube videos and then go outside and practice. PLEASE don't take this like I'm being a smartass but it aint that hard.
The skills you and your son can learn don't need to meet code or pass inspection. Your debris hut will be different than mine. But thats cool. Just learn stuff and have fun.
Again, please don't think I'm being a dick. I just wanted to encourage you to make it happen.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
No offence taken. You have some good ideas and I've thought about doing that very thing. It's just also for the camaraderie
as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beemerman:
No offence taken. You have some good ideas and I've thought about doing that very thing. It's just also for the camaraderie
as well.
View Quote
Yeah. I hear that about camaraderie. It's very cool hanging out with like minded folks. I would be down for a meet up/camp out. Lets figure out a weekend and set up camp.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:17:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: firemedic5586] [#4]
I've been to a couple classes (winter camping symposium) done by Kelly. He has lot of stuff on youtube. Kelly learned under Mors Kochanski. There are a few very good books put out by Mors Kochanski that don't cast all that much.

Bushcraft forum is also a good source of info.

Dave Canterbury also has a lot of Youtube info and books. He was also on Dual Survival for awhile, until it was discovered that the military experience he claimed to have was not what he actually had.. Due to that reason, he is the person who's name is not spoken on the web sight I linked above and why he was dropped from the show.

Winter Camping symposium is a yearly thing. A lot of good info to be had from good instructors with hands on, the cost is cheap too. Of course you also have vendors selling thier wares and its not hard to drop some $$$ for good kit. Their Face Book Page.

Have fun, with your son.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I thank you for all the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top