Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2022 10:39:08 AM EDT
Anybody on here have any experience with Benelli R1? I'm interested in picking up a 338 for TX Nilgai hunting. Just returned from my first Nilgai hunt and while my 30-06 got it done with Norma 180gr bonded factory loads on a cow and a bull, I'd like to step up in power without recoil knocking my teeth loose or deafening myself and the guide with a muzzle break. I've had good luck with Benelli Shotguns so the R1 with the comfort tech is appealing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet it’s still got a bit of recoil. 7lb 338 with no brake needs to move somewhere. I think they’re supposed to be decent rifles but they’ve never sold real well. I worked at two separate dealers for around six years total and think I sold two.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Alaskanfire, thanks for the input! I can see why the guns aren't hot sellers with their euro styling and it seems like its competitor the BAR just kinds of hangs around but I've never seen somebody in the field with one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#3]
It’s a very small market as most hunters prefer bolt actions. The BAR is a good gun. I got to shoot a 338 that had been chopped down pretty short with a brake and was amazed at how little it recoiled.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll have to check the BARs out.

Also, maybe I’m over thinking this whole recoil thing. Shooting a box  or more of 180gr 30-06 from a 8lb hunting rifle doesn’t both me except at the bench. You never feel it hunting anyway .
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
That what sucks about brakes so effective and so loud. If you don't use a brake weight and good recoil pads are your friend.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
r1 in 308 is on my list this year to get.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to have a Comfortech R1 in .338 and liked it.  Only sold it because it filled a niche in between my .300 WSM and .375 Ruger that I didn't really need to fill.

It handled nicely, similarly to a Benelli shotgun, unsurprisingly.  It is pretty long with the 24" barrel.  Recoil wasn't bad at all.  In my purely subjective opinion, I'd rate it as comparable to a 30-06 bolt action of similar weight, but the .338 was more of a shove than a kick.  For reference, the specific 30-06 I'm comparing to is a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker, also now sold since it was redundant.

Accuracy ran around 1.5" for 3 shot groups with Hornady ammunition in various weights.  The trigger was pretty decent for a semi-auto.  Fit and finish is typical Benelli.  I never did kill anything with mine, but the performance of the .338 WM really isn't in question.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome! Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That what sucks about brakes so effective and so loud. If you don't use a brake weight and good recoil pads are your friend.
View Quote

Yes. I think my buddy and his guide’s ears are still ringing from touching off his shiny new 300 weatherby with a big ass brake on it standing beside a truck with the door open. The poor guide was in the truck and I think a lot of the blast was directed in to him.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
So I shot an R1 in 338 when I was 15 or 16 years old. Shot it the same day as a M1 Garand in 30-06 (of course) and a bolt gun in 7mm Rem Mag. I'd say the R1 recoiled between those two. The heavy M1 helped and felt great, the R1 just gave me a little more shove but was not uncomfortable at all, the 7mm Rem Mag was a lot for me at the time. Definitely surprised me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool! 7mm rem mag out of lightweight hunting rifle will get your attention.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah the R1 was my boss's Grizzley gun. Seemed to work well for him, no complaints that I know of.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I had one for a while chambered in .300 WSM. It was reliable but not particularly accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top