Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2019 3:53:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57]
I have an older spinning reel that I use only for paddlefish.  Its loaded with 65lb braid.  The spool is smooth and you can spin the whole spool of line on it on a good snag.  Its also getting too much gap to the edge of the spool so I think some backing is in order to fill the spool and stop the spin.

Should I just use something like 40 lb mono?  I think 50plus lb mono would be too hard to deal with but i don't know for sure.  I hate to use backing with lower test than the main line.  I use a dacron backing on my fly reels, would that be a better choice (it's only 20 or 30 lb rated )?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
On every reel i have that has braid on it, I use cheap mono for backing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I found an old post on stripersonline that said backing should roughly match the drag capacity of the reel.  That makes sense if you think you're going to get into the backing.  It wouldn't matter if the backing was strictly filler.

They didn't mention knot strength but I suppose that would have some bearing as well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I found an old post on stripersonline that said backing should roughly match the drag capacity of the reel.
View Quote
That site cost me so much money years ago.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Extorris:

View Quote
You made me go look and see if I had the right number of p's in there.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Extorris:
I was a bit of a fishing tackle junkie back when I was surfcasting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a big spoil of cheap Bass Pro 12lb mono that I use for backing.

It is keeping my 50lb PowerPro nice and tight on the Shimano for frog fishing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I use mono that's stronger than the braid I'm using as backing.  I also go with a fluorescent yellow color.  I typically use the dark grey or mossy green braid, so if I were to suddenly see bright yellow going through my rod eyelets I know I'm pretty close to done
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
I use mono that's stronger than the braid I'm using as backing.  I also go with a fluorescent yellow color.  I typically use the dark grey or mossy green braid, so if I were to suddenly see bright yellow going through my rod eyelets I know I'm pretty close to done
View Quote
I would do the same for a paddlefish rig.  Same # or stronger mono backing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Found 40 lb mono.  Kind of a bugger to tie a knot between 40 lb mono and 65 lb braid.

I ended up tying a double uni but its knot pretty.

I figure the reel doesn't have enough drag power to break even 40 lb line.  The 65 lb braid is really so you can pull out a snag more than it is necessary for a fish.  Hopefully I wont be in the backing and get snagged.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 1:49:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I use tape for backing.About any kind of tape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top