Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 5 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]

nice looking kit you got put together there David even got an unopened leatherman it would probally take up less space out of the package or i got a pocket that can hold it for you
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By DavidCBond:
i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc13/davidcbond/DSCN0002.jpg

id just dump some of the packaging off the items.... and get a bladder/platy bag tohold the h20,, less bulk.... less wieght than all the lil bottles....good kit  though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I put that together for a class I did on how easy it is to put one together.  That is not my actual kit, mine has a AR-7, Glock 22 and Kel-tec PLR-16 in it.  I still fit all that into a small backpack though, even with all the packaging.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 1:08:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gbuilder] [#4]
This has been an excellent thread and I have certainly gotten alot of input from it so heres my 2cents:

First off I would like to say that I am no expert, and probably have only just recently started thinking about the possibility of ever even having to bug out. I dont know anything about tactical or militaristic survival scenarios. That being said, I am an experienced backpacker and have completed five long hikes (6 days 5 nights 50+ miles) and upwards of two dozen weekend trips (normally 15 miles). In addition I have many friends that have completed long term hikes (figure 500+ miles) and I have very intimate knowledge of their gear.

Obviously there are loads of different scenarios that would require different setups but I think I can make some general observations and stress some points that havent been mentioned as much from a backpacker's point of view.

First off, whatever pack you choose, make sure it has a good waist belt. If you are unaccustomed to caying a pack for long distances (10+miles a day) your shoulders are going to very quickly start to cause you problems. I especially am concerned about some of these day packs people are using. A day pack loaded up with just 25 pounds is probably going to cause you some serious discomfort if it does not have a good waist belt. I would also suggest an internal framed pack. These offer much better balance and load distribution as well as a smaller profile than an external pack. I would also seriously consider one if not two collapsible walking sticks, especially if you are going to be off road and going through some difficult terrain. These have been the difference between a sprained ankle and a little stumble innumerous times for me, as well as I think they help in weight distribution as it takes some of the weight off your feet.

Another suggestion would be to make sure you have enough water in camp. A piece of equipment that I rely heavily on is a large collapsible water bag for carrying water from the source to camp. I will add a picture of it next time I get home, but they are relatively inexpensive, the rei brand ones are already in a dark green color, and are much cheaper then that msr thing everyone else has. These are 2 gallon bags that fill up from a large valve or sometimes have a zip top like a bucket. This way, you can get your water from the water source, and easily carry a large amount back to your camp (Often you cant or wont want to camp immediately next to the water source but maybe up to half a mile away.) These are also useful in that you can pump the water in the comfort and safety of your camp and also have a large supply of water in camp so you dont need to make extra trips to the water source. These are not for carrying water in your pack though, for that I would suggest several platypus bladders.

I think people underestimate how much water they will go through, not just from drinking and cooking but also from cleaning. Which brings me to my next point, you should consider having some sort of high concentrate liquid soap, be it an all purpose outdoor liquid soap like the biodegradable stuff or even just some dish deturgent. This serves multiple uses from cleaning cooking equipment, washing clothing, personal hygene, and also first aid.

I would advise against any sleeping bag with a down filler
. If these get wet they are pretty  much ruined, supposing you can even get it to dry in a reasonable amount of time. Rather than 2 bags I would suggest a light weight summer bag with the addition of a bag liner to get you down to the lower temperatures. This will be much more economical than buying two bags, and would also be a better option then getting a medium weight bag as a compromise. MSR makes several excellent light weight synthetic bags but they can be a bit pricey, that being said If I was going to spend a fair bit of money on just one part of my gear it would be a nice sleeping bag.

Last but not least, I see alot of people carrying compasses but no maps. I would like to reiterate the point made in the first posting of this thread about the importance of having maps in your bag. I would much rather have a map than a compass because there are many ways to figure out which direction N,S,E,W are... but if you dont know where you are it wont do you any good. Imagine trying to bug out in your car, getting stuck in traffic or breaking down. How would you figure out where you were and how to keep going to your destination if you were forced to change routes or needed to go somewhere else besides your BOL.  

I see that alot of yall have been taking hikes with your bags, but I would strongly encourage you to take your bags for at the very least overnight, if not multiple day trips to help figure out what else you might need in your bag, and also to figure out what you dont need in your bag. Try to make your load as light as possible, the lighter the load, the faster you can travel, and the less time it will take you to get to your BOL. Figure that you will be able to realistically travel 15 miles a day (YMMV) if you arent accustomed to backpacking. If you try to go too fast, you can easily injure yourself or cause yourself so much discomfort that you have difficulty moving on. Try to pace yourself, especially if you have to go a long distance. If you are in a serious bug out situation you might be tempted to haul ass, and if you are in immediate danger obviously do so, but once you are out of any immediate danger, try to pace yourself other wise you will wear yourself out and have to take extra time to rest, or worse injure yourself.

Sorry for the long post, I tried to bold the important stuff but figured I would explain my reasoning as well.

Link Posted: 10/24/2007 1:51:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sirensong] [#5]
well, i should be studying for my psych exam tomorrow, so naturally i'm on arfcom.  have done a lot of updating since the last iteration, and did a lot of gear check and reconfiguration over the summer.  here's where i stand now:

essentials bag:
[maxpedition jumbo currently, will be switching to the battlelab E&E bag soon]

nalgene w/ stainless cup
powdered gatorade
iodine
survival straw

2 MRE entree
3 clif bars
beef buillion
hard candy
esbit stove w/ fuel

FAK
small fire kit
pocket survival kit
compass/area map
garmin GPS/FRS
streamlight twintask flashlight
folder
multitool/bit set
EMT shears
poncho
light gloves
boonie hat
1 pr socks in baggie
pistol + 2 spare mags
snap link
battery backups

weight:  10# with weapon, ammo, and water

(will be adding 2-4 AR mags when i get the new bag)

zombie line:
[SKD/eagle chest rig]

8 AR mags
2 pistol mags
multitool
surefire
cinch-tight dressing

sustainment bag:
[eberlestock gunslinger]

100oz bladder
miniworks

7 servings MH
2 MRE entree
assorted snacks
jetboil (trying to get myself to eliminate this as a luxury item)
sporksporkspork

2 pr socks in baggies
watch cap/scarf

-fire kit
-light kit (got rid of all the chemlights but 1 red)
-hygiene kit
-fishing kit (works great, BTW)
-repair kit (stripped down to tape, needles/thread/safety pins, and superglue)
-weapon cleaning kit

NV mono
grundig SW receiver
backup compass
roadmaps
mini binocs
paracord/snap link
2 AR mags
batt backups

[edit:  forgot the 30deg bag--much nicer than a poncho liner!]

weight:  32# with ammo and water

all in all, i'm very pleased with how this works out.  as i mentioned in another thread, the full carry arrangement leaves something to be desired, but that's getting addressed.  as is, the rig is pretty discreet, and gives me a good range of options between "armed hiking" and a more gun-oriented setup.

and since i spent a good amount of time under it this summer (on a lot of up-and-down terrain), i know the weight isn't a crippler.  still trying to trim it, though.

oh, well--back to studying.

Link Posted: 10/25/2007 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By WiseguyThreeOne:

I'm one of the mil-spec bag crowd, but then I go by the theory that if all your stuff falls out when the pack fails, you're screwed.

+1
Amen!

Bear
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By FreeBear:

Originally Posted By WiseguyThreeOne:

I'm one of the mil-spec bag crowd, but then I go by the theory that if all your stuff falls out when the pack fails, you're screwed.

+1
Amen!

Bear

mil-spec bag
,,,,mil issue,,, are two different things. ive seen "mil-spec" bags( insert any molle style ya'd like) fail before,,,,ive alos seen crusty med alice packs go years of hard abuse with out a thread busting!
Ive seen the same for Civy "backpacking" packs.

That is why quality over brand and design is what matters. There are very few .mil bags that are built with  a semblance of comfort in them( ie: the gregory/dana .gov packs and maybe the newer molle rucks) besides that your dumping cash into the larger framed kifraus for "mil style" framed packs worth a damn.  
As i have said before "3 day" frameless packs are not good choices for long haul BOB's. Due to their size, design and lack of suspension/frame.
ymmv as always

Link Posted: 10/26/2007 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Best backpack I ever bought was at Sam's for 38 bucks in 2001, called a 'black sheep'.  I was making a trip to Russia and needed a pack that could double as a carry-on.  Figured it might make a couple trips.  It has now made 12 trips and spent 300 days in Russia over 6 years and spent several weeks in half a dozen countries in central Africa.  I've abused the fire out of it and it just won't quit.  Most of the time it has about 50 pounds of crap in it including a 100 oz camelbak.  Can't judge a book by it's price tag that is for sure.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By NHGUNNER:
Do any of you guys have a "business as usual" BOB?

...I realized...I didn't have things that I would need to go back to work the next morning. ....I also didn't have a shaving kit (I did have toothbrush, paste and deordorant).

While I do have proper 'bug out bags', I keep that kind of overnight stuff with me at all times pretty much. When I go to work I carry a shoulder slung bag and I take the same bag with me when I'm shopping or whatever on the weekends. If I have one or both of the kids with me I add a few diapers, etc for them.

It's really light but has:

Blackjack smartphone for work (plus charger & extra battery), personal phone (plus charger & extra battery), small p-# can opener & led light on a carabiner hooked to the outside, Gerber multi-tool, 9 LED flashlight + extra AAA batteries, pistol & 2 mags, pepper spray, pocketknife, laminated photocopy of DL and CCW permit, chapstick, eyedrops, pen/paper, mint candies & crackers/luna bars, small 1st aid kit (Laerdal pocket mask, emergency blanket, alcohol wipes, nitrile gloves, bandages, pain reliever, etc), nail clippers, shaving razor, toothbrush & toothpaste, wet wipes, water bottle, USB memory stick. Also $20 in bills & coins.

I've had to detour and unexpectedly go out of town overnight, so I try to keep those basics with me always. In the car I keep other items (change of clothes, additional flashlights, etc).
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 4:16:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: toyotaman] [#10]
I started working on BOB's for my wife and I this weekend.

My plan is to make them identical duplicates in utility, but to put lighter gear in my wife's pack.  For example, while my pack has a small backpacking stove with a butane/propane cartridge and a backup bottle of Coleman fuel, her's has a trioxane stove and a handful of fuel tabs.

I just threw these together with stuff that I had.

Here's a breakdown of what's inside each each:

Food
I bought some 72-hr Mountain House cases when they were on clearance from Amazon earlier this year for $30.  I put one case in each pack.
A 3600 calorie Mainstay bar
I'm going to add some more snack type food to both packs and maybe a few pounds of bulk rice, couscous, and packs of cheese grits and oatmeal to my pack.  Maybe some peanut butter also.
Nalgene Cup and Spork

Water
3L bladder
Nalgene bottle
Katadyn Vario water filter in my pack and a filter straw as a backup
Just a filter straw in her pack

Shelter
Poncho and liner in her pack
Tarp and sleeping bag in mine
I still need to add a full set of clothing to each bag with shirt, pants, shoes, socks, underwear and a fleece liner and jacket.  And a ballcap and watchcap.

Assorted gear
AO map and compass
Lighter
Flint and steel with magnesium bar
I've got a windup flashlight in her pack.  But I want to add a headlamp to each pack with white and red LED's.
There's a multitool in my pack
Pocket knife
Emergency blanket
Two spare pistol mags, loaded

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#11]
very nice ,profesional looking setup!!!!Good job
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]

I've got a windup flashlight in her pack. But I want to add a headlamp to each pack with white and red LED's.

check walymart fer the 3 led lamp..it works great.. last long and good on batt's.... with a tilt head!last one i got was under 10$
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]
ok... great read. Good job protus.....

Now I got to buy a bigger pack for this. My BOB has always been a large black duffel bag.(2 actually. one inside the other.) So I got to get a nice size pack....

any way. this thread needs more pics...
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#14]
ok i know that i kind of new to this site but just from reading the first page the only thing that i have seen that everyone is leaving out is some rope.  to me rope would be a very good thing to have you can put a good amount in a very small place you can even tie it on the out side of your pack and its not going to weigh vry much depending on what kind of rope you have.  but like everyone has said you put in your pack what makes you comfortable.  to me rope would be good because there are alot of things you can do with it.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By shawn437:
ok i know that i kind of new to this site but just from reading the first page the only thing that i have seen that everyone is leaving out is some rope.  to me rope would be a very good thing to have you can put a good amount in a very small place you can even tie it on the out side of your pack and its not going to weigh vry much depending on what kind of rope you have.  but like everyone has said you put in your pack what makes you comfortable.  to me rope would be good because there are alot of things you can do with it.  

[resisting the urge to quote the boondock saints]

any kind of decent rope is heavy.  

search my posts and you'll find out how serious i am about this issue--as a sailor, my life often depends upon quality rope.  

but when it comes to the BOB, you have to evaluate the cost/benefit.  if your egress profile calls for a bunch of downclimbing, then rope is a must.  but seriously--how many downclimbing scenarios figure into your planning?

having any piece of gear because "it might be useful" is a sure recipe for overloading one's self.

i'm not trying to antagonize you here, but you say that there is a lot you can do with rope.  so let's try to figure these things out.  

question #1:  what can you do with rope?

question #2:  of these things, how many are you likely to encounter during a one week backpacking trip?

for the record, i carry a 120' GI rapelling rope and a 5:1 block and tackle in my trunk.  but i only carry 100' of paracord in my BOB, because rope is not a high-priority item for a footmarch in my particular...idiom.

again--i don't mean to insult.  i'm just curious as to why you think you need this on your person.

Link Posted: 12/24/2007 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#16]

just from reading the first page the only thing that i have seen that everyone is leaving out is some rope

1st page is more of a primer. What the 3 MUST haves must be.
rope is included in all my packs, nomrally a mix of 550 and normal camp rope/twine.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#17]
that is kind of what i was getting at some thing like paracord or twine becaust that does not add to much weight at all to your pack.  they also have a rope called mule tape for pulling underground cable.  you can have several hundred feet and it only weighs a few pounds and its like 1000lb test

but like everyone on here has said you put in your pack what makes you feel comfortable.  

so if you think its a dumb choice the dont put it in your pack

and dont worry it takes more than that to insult me
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#18]
ok, then we agree--paracord is a must.

looked into the mule tape, and it seems like interesting stuff.  i'll have to play with some.
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Great post Protus! and everyone that had added something to it.  I wish this post had come out a few years ago when I first started my BOB and GHB!  My only contribution to a BOB would be in the snivels portion.  This would really be helpful in the winter...Distrain (sp?) 12 hour nasal spary.  I don't know about anyone else but once I get a cold I can't breath at night and I get no rest what so ever!.  Tough to keep going then.  Everyone keep up the great ideas!  

One other item I just thought of...Sheep shears!  I will have a nice warm wool coat from all the sheeple out there!
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 4:58:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hepcat85] [#20]
Great thread!

I'm going to read it page by page later tonight.

In the mean time, I was thinking I'd like a BOB that could work double duty and be used for everyday use. Carry work items, day to day carry stuff as well as SHTF gear. With that in mind, what are the thoughts about;

Link Posted: 1/3/2008 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By hepcat85:
Great thread!

In the mean time, I was thinking I'd like a BOB that could work double duty and be used for everyday use. Carry work items, day to day carry stuff as well as SHTF gear. With that in mind, what are the thoughts about;

img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/hepcat85/col10.jpg

stick with a plain jane daypack..

sorry  not into the man purse stuff... and not for a BOB thats fer sure a short distance GHB...sure...but i fell a pack of the same CI is much better......YMMV
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't put too much effort into bug out gear. I got a small 2 person camper in the driveway. And even without the camper, surviving for a few days is not a big deal unless you are stuck out in freezing cold or NYC. (generally speaking)

I put most of my effort into long term survival preparedness, but I still have some bug out gear on hand.

I keep a cooking bug out pack in an orange ammo box. Got 2 propane cookers with a cylinder in it. One is a stripped down pocket size unit, one is full size.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/cetrscprst8b.html

Also 3 SS cooking cups / drinking mugs, eating utensils, hot bev powders, lighters, sugar, etc., I use it a lot in the winter when I want to cook some soup or hot drinks when skiboarding or snowshoeing.

Keep most of my bug out clothes in my car year round packed away in mesh dividers, nooks and crannies. Gore-TeX, cold survival in gear the winter, some tools, Leatherman Core, compass, pen, paper, L.E.D lights, pepper spray, trekking poles, etc...oh have 3 inflatable Thermarest pillows and pack sink as well. Car had a weather band in it. If I am not in the car have a weather scanner to take. Also have SW world band mini radio.

Bug out food is an easy grab. I keep about a dozen home made low fat high protein muffins in the freezer...grab the bag and have enough things to munch on for a coupe or three days. Also have other ready access foods and lots of bottled water to grab in the house.

Also pack a water filter:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?AFC-googlebase&productId=13875&engine=googlebase&keyword=81260

Have many backpacks for different uses. One thing in common with them all is a titanium divers knife mounted on the strap for super easy access...just pull down and it is there.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_968/Context_965/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/SQTKSS.html?Hit=1

Also many odds and ends such as pack sink, ENO hammock, bug net for head, roll pile blanket, Thermarest inflatable butt pad, pocket TV (...it will be useless after '09 when digital comes around), Rad D-Tec, face masks, mace and various weapons, bug spray, T.P., 25% alcohol spray and shower adapter with mini hose, faucet keys to fit various hydrants. Wife has her own pack list includes a lady J.

Speaking of backpacks, got a Stihl 192t chainsaw for one pack if needed.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS192T.html

Sigg fuel bottles carry the gas.

It is a stripped down model and weighs about 7 pounds. It fits in my backpack so I can hike or bike with it.

I took off the anti kickback safety on it to make it fit better and be lighter (not recommended unless you are experienced tree feller...so don't complain if you get hurt by this mod)

Also have a mid size Thermarest pad that is ready in a stuff sack in my house.

http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=53&cID=3

Pretty comfy, but if you need more cush go for the Luxury model for more $$

First aid kits? Got many of em from large laptop size for big trips to a mid size in my car to mini packs in my backpacks. All custom made and individualized.

Was on vacation in the USVI and BVI a few years ago. While walking on the beach to photograph a cove with some sailboats I banged my toe into a large rock in the sand. (The Buddhists saying for this..."when one eye is kept on the destination it only leaves one eye left for the journey.")

I hurt my toe pretty bad and had to keep it bandaged throughout the trip as well as when I returned home. It was a real pain in the ass since the dressing was continually getting wet while diving or snorkeling and had to be changed up to 5 times a day. This experience also reminded me of the importance of a good first aid kit (which I luckily had two of with me.)
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 9:53:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zaphod] [#23]

Great thread!

Possible? Yes. Practical? That depends on what your scenario is.

I carry a Maxpedition Versipak everywhere I go (including here in Ireland, where I am on a business trip). It is a near GHB on its own, but comes nowhere near what my GHB can do. Still, it packs a FAK, a lighter, signal mirror, magnifying glass/compass, binoculars, flashlight, multi-tool, extra batteries for the flashlight, larger knife, two protein bars, emergency blanket, roll of 90-MPH tape, a packet of sanitary wipes, and my cell phone, and that's with the main compartment EMPTY. I can fit a small Nalgene in the main compartment and still have half of it empty. It's awesome.

It's far better than nothing, but I wouldn't want to consider it anything more than a "Get to the GHB" bag. I've gotten very used to it, and LOTS of POSITIVE feedback on it.

BTW, the FAK is kept in the additional pouch that Mexpedition sells to clip into the Versipak's strap. Awesome setup.

The Colossus would certainly carry more gear, but to Proteus' point, I would not want a shoulder bag for serious SHTF use because it gets in the way as you move. No big deal in day-to-day use, but a real problem at a bad time. Also, a backpack will allow you to carry the additional weight more comfortably. Any of Eagle's or Maxpedition's packs would be great options. My GHB is built on a Camelback/Eagle Motherlode.

Whatever you do, just make sure you're not carrying 40 pounds of BO gear and 5 pounds of daily gear everywhere you go, although that WILL get you in shape!
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 11:35:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hepcat85] [#24]

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Great thread!

Possible? Yes. Practical? That depends on what your scenario is.

I carry a Maxpedition Versipak everywhere I go (including here in Ireland, where I am on a business trip). It is a near GHB on its own, but comes nowhere near what my GHB can do. Still, it packs a FAK, a lighter, signal mirror, magnifying glass/compass, binoculars, flashlight, multi-tool, extra batteries for the flashlight, larger knife, two protein bars, emergency blanket, roll of 90-MPH tape, a packet of sanitary wipes, and my cell phone, and that's with the main compartment EMPTY. I can fit a small Nalgene in the main compartment and still have half of it empty. It's awesome.

It's far better than nothing, but I wouldn't want to consider it anything more than a "Get to the GHB" bag. I've gotten very used to it, and LOTS of POSITIVE feedback on it.

BTW, the FAK is kept in the additional pouch that Mexpedition sells to clip into the Versipak's strap. Awesome setup.

The Colossus would certainly carry more gear, but to Proteus' point, I would not want a shoulder bag for serious SHTF use because it gets in the way as you move. No big deal in day-to-day use, but a real problem at a bad time. Also, a backpack will allow you to carry the additional weight more comfortably. Any of Eagle's or Maxpedition's packs would be great options. My GHB is built on a Camelback/Eagle Motherlode.

Whatever you do, just make sure you're not carrying 40 pounds of BO gear and 5 pounds of daily gear everywhere you go, although that WILL get you in shape!

All great points, thanks Z.

Follow-up Qs. Which versipack are you using? I'm going to assume the JUMBO. I was thinking of going with the regular FATBOY to keep it really light and to force me to pack light.

I have a Maxped Pygmy Falcon for my BOB. It's the prefect size. My rule is "Less is more" so I try to pick and pack wisely.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 11:51:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zaphod] [#25]

My pleasure.

Follow-up Qs. Which versipack are you using? I'm going to assume the JUMBO. I was thinking of going with the regular FATBOY to keep it really light and to force me to pack light.

Nope. I'm using a standard Fatboy. It's amazing what you can pack and how compactly you can do it if you think about it a bit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Nope. I'm using a standard Fatboy. It's amazing what you can pack and how compactly you can do it if you think about it a bit.

Whew! I'm glad to hear that. I was zeroing in on the Fatboy and thought you might muck up my choice!

Say, could you post a pic of the Maxped Ifak pouch mounted on your Fatboy? I've got one and am curious how it looks and if its at all "bulky"

Link Posted: 1/8/2008 1:11:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zaphod] [#27]
It's not an IFAK pouch.

It's the Janus Extension Pocket:

It's not bulky at all, especially since I wear my Versipak backwards (with the buckle, and therefore the Janus, on the back). While it probably won't hold a full blow-out kit, it currently holds an assortment of bandages, gauze pads, meds, scalpel, blades, safety pins, tape, kerlix, Neosporin tube, small bottle of hand sanitizer, Visine, and an extra pair of contact lenses. It could hold more if I stretched it a bit.

Note, however, that the tape and kerlix rolls are about 1/2 inches wide. It's NOT the full-size stuff.

I did remove the 550-cord thing on the outside. No point in it, IMO. You may be able to use it for something. I just ordered Red Cross, blood typ, and NKA velcro tabs for it, just for kicks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm brand new to AR15.com and I understand that this question has most likely already been answered, I just wanted to know what BOB stands for before I really start to formulate my own ideas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 5:30:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Wapellican:
I'm brand new to AR15.com and I understand that this question has most likely already been answered, I just wanted to know what BOB stands for before I really start to formulate my own ideas.

" BUG OUT BAG"
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#30]
thank you
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#31]
So what has everyone been trying out as far as shelters for their bob's and ghb's?  Tent, tarp, bivy, hammock?  Is it for just you, or you and your spouse or you and your family?
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 9:02:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fluellen] [#32]
There are over 10 pages of advice and comments on the "perfect" B.O.B. And I admit that I haven't read ever line...But I was wondering...if you stay put as long as you can...until you're "forced" to move-either by the elements or by humans, do you REALLY want to look all para military? Do you REALLY want to put on your digi BDU's and and molle laden packs and walk among the sheep? (Remember, there will be 'sheperds') Do you REALLY want to raise the eyebrows of the "evacuation" workers (police, military, or even gun haters)? I used to have my B.O.B.'s in military style packs, and where I live, it wouldn't be uncommon to see that, I live in the vicinity of 5 military bases. But if I hit a "check point" I don't want my backpacks 'eyeballed' and MORE prone to be searched. Yes, they all would have ammo in them. Yes, they all would have a pistol in them, with several loaded magazines. Yes, I would have an AR in my pack, broken down, with loaded mags, and a pistol on me (I have my CCW). If I felt as though I NEEDED to sling my AR, and have my sons sling my Benelli and PTR, then we've all had it. BUT my backpacks LOOK like nothing more than regular old bookbags...no molle straps, no para cord and bungees all over it...Does anyone else share this opinion?
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Protus, I'm finicky about what I consider a real mil-spec bag. For me it's either USGI with an NSN, or gear from a reputable commercial vendor to the .mil, like old-time Blackhawk, London Bridge, Tactical Tailor, etc.

My "new" BOB will probably be built on my trusty two-tour London Bridge Geronimo OPFOR model, internal frame with belt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Fluellen:
There are over 10 pages of advice and comments on the "perfect" B.O.B. And I admit that I haven't read ever line...But I was wondering...if you stay put as long as you can...until you're "forced" to move-either by the elements or by humans, do you REALLY want to look all para military? Do you REALLY want to put on your digi BDU's and and molle laden packs and walk among the sheep? (Remember, there will be 'sheperds') Do you REALLY want to raise the eyebrows of the "evacuation" workers (police, military, or even gun haters)? I used to have my B.O.B.'s in military style packs, and where I live, it wouldn't be uncommon to see that, I live in the vicinity of 5 military bases. But if I hit a "check point" I don't want my backpacks 'eyeballed' and MORE prone to be searched. Yes, they all would have ammo in them. Yes, they all would have a pistol in them, with several loaded magazines. Yes, I would have an AR in my pack, broken down, with loaded mags, and a pistol on me (I have my CCW). If I felt as though I NEEDED to sling my AR, and have my sons sling my Benelli and PTR, they we've all had it. BUT my backpacks LOOK like nothing more than regular old bookbags...no molle straps, no para cord and bungees all over it...Does anyone else share this opinion?

Sure, you have to have the right camoflauge for the right environment.  People like the .mil packs because they are tough and relatively cheap.  I would rather have something comfortable and lightweight.  A well-made backpacking pack from a reputable company will do just as well for what I need as an old Alice pack, and it won't kill my kidneys in the process with its waistbelt.  

You can get a aftermarket backpacking pack in bright blue for when you are in town and keep a camo pack cover on it for when you need to blend in to the woods.  Poof, instant camo for either environment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#35]
You hit the nail on the head...camo comes in all different flavors...but the basic premise of "camo" in a mandatory evac/shtf situation is to be like the proverbial wolf in sheeps clothing. In fact it reminds me of the movie I watched just last night...The Invasion, with Nicole Kidman...she had to 'blend in' to survive. My packs are big enough to swallow the long guns(when they are in 2 pieces-the Benelli and the POF AR) but in a evac/shtf situation the killing/stuggle for self preservation will be on the up close and personal distances.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Fluellen:
Does anyone else share this opinion?

it's easy for the forum regulars to forget how long it's been since we've discussed issues like these--we had several post marathons on the relative merits of the "grey man" approach, but i would say that was over a year ago.

camoflage implies blending in with one's environment, not a specific configuration of dye on a garment.  there are a few guys that want to project the image that they are "tactically aware" in order to deter any aggression, but they are in the minority.  most of us strive to remain inconspicuous and avoid painting ourselves as targets to predators, LEOs looking for actual predators, or just curious passers-by.  this can be achieved in a variety of ways--one personal favorite is band and x-games paraphernelia.  another is courtesy of protus--use a brightly-colored rain cover for your pack while in the city, and then strip it off if necessary.  

personally, my BO "wardrobe" is a pair of khaki pants and a neutral button-down shirt--they sit atop my BOB on my emergency rack.  this allows me to walk through town without attracting a second glance, yet blends surprisingly well with most vegetation (as well as stucco--the most common building color in my area).  as i posted a couple of pages back, my BOB is an eberlestock gunslinger in coyote, which allows me to carry an m4 with a fair degree of discretion.  during rehersals, i have humped it around populated city parks and through business areas without attracting any attention whatsoever.  all in all, i am very comfortable with my ability to camoflage myself in the terrain i would be traversing in an emergency.

on the other hand, it is important to remember that during a crisis of the scope that would require an actual BO, people are going to have larger problems than what you are carrying.  civilians will be too worried about their own arse to be overly nosey, and infrastructure/emergency personnel will be overstretched just trying to manage the precipitating situation.  as long as one is both aware of one's surroundings and acts in a reasonably discreet manner, the presence of pals/molle, outdoor color schemes, or even actual camo patterns is unlikely to create another problem.

as with anything in this field of interest, the key is solid cost-benefit thinking and good planning.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#37]
My neighborhood is eighty percent retired military, twenty percent still in. The whole region is filled with surplus stores and high-speed gear shops, so anyone out walking around during an emergency will have some kind of .mil gear from boots on up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 10:33:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zirkdog] [#38]
Not sure how often this thread gets checked up on, but here goes...

Here is my BOB list of supplies to keep 2 people alive for 72 hours.  right now it is still very much in the planning stages as I have a lot of pieces I need to pull together.  One step at a time though.  Feel free to suggest, mock, ridicule, advise, question, ponder, flame, or applaud my list.

All items will be stored in a Jansport ext. frame pack (6000 cu/in) and a Kelty Redwing day pack (2900 cu/in).   I may substitute a med. ALICE pack on the frame for the Jansport if all the jansport’s space is not needed.

Shelter- Dome tent (your avg. 3 man version), sleeping bags x2, blankets(seasonal), ground tarp
Water- nalgene bottle x2, Camelbak 100 oz. bladder, MSR filter, crystal light/gatorasde drink mixes.
Food- Mountain House entrees 2 meals/day x3 days, trail mix, jerky
Cooking- pot, stove (single burner backpacking style), fuel, knife/fork/spoon, salt/pepper, hot sauce, soap, scour pad, cups x2.
Clothing, Change of- Underwear, socks, pants, shirts- LS/SS
Weather Gear- Poncho x2, rain jacket, hat
Cold gear (seasonal)- Beanie, gloves, warm jacket, long johns,
Footwear- Sturdy walking shoes/hiking boots, winter boots (seasonal)
First Aid-Bandages, athletic tape, superglue, butterflies, fem. hyg., sunscreen, insect rep., hand sanitizer, wet-wipes (travel size pack), soap, shaving needs, toothbrush/paste, TP roll, allergy pills, washcloth x2, vitamins, EMT shears, anti-ointment, TUMS, CPR shield
Communication- cell phones w chargers (120v/12v), batt. operated radio
Tools- Leatherman Wave, wire saw, mirror, LED Surefire, 50 ft. paracord, duct tape, carabiners x2, ziploc bags (assorted), garbage bags (hefty’s x2), zip ties, sharpie pen
Fire- Bic lighter, mag strip, matches, fire sticks,
Navigation- County and State map, GPS
Documents- Driv. Lic., SS cards, Acc. #’s, marriage lic (photocopy), passports, fam. contact info, money ($100 each), roll of quarters, deck of cards

Just in Case- HK USPc 9mm with 4 mags (43 rds) HP ammo.
AR-15 w/ 3mags loaded Federal HP ammo.
Holster, sling, rods, brushes, CLP, rags,

Yeah it may have a lot of overkill and I have no idea on the weight, but this is the result of me reading 10 pages of this forum and thinking it out for the last week.

EDIT: Almost one year later, I've hit the 20 post mark.

Link Posted: 2/16/2008 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By zirkdog:
Not sure how often this thread gets checked up on, but here goes...

Here is my BOB list of supplies to keep 2 people alive for 72 hours.  right now it is still very much in the planning stages as I have a lot of pieces I need to pull together.  One step at a time though.  Feel free to suggest, mock, ridicule, advise, question, ponder, flame, or applaud my list.

All items will be stored in a Jansport ext. frame pack (6000 cu/in) and a Kelty Redwing day pack (2900 cu/in).   I may substitute a med. ALICE pack on the frame for the Jansport if all the jansport’s space is not needed.

Shelter- Dome tent (your avg. 3 man version), sleeping bags x2, blankets(seasonal), ground tarp
Water- nalgene bottle x2, Camelbak 100 oz. bladder, MSR filter, crystal light/gatorasde drink mixes.
Food- Mountain House entrees 2 meals/day x3 days, trail mix, jerky
Cooking- pot, stove (single burner backpacking style), fuel, knife/fork/spoon, salt/pepper, hot sauce, soap, scour pad, cups x2.
Clothing, Change of- Underwear, socks, pants, shirts- LS/SS
Weather Gear- Poncho x2, rain jacket, hat
Cold gear (seasonal)- Beanie, gloves, warm jacket, long johns,
Footwear- Sturdy walking shoes/hiking boots, winter boots (seasonal)
First Aid-Bandages, athletic tape, superglue, butterflies, fem. hyg., sunscreen, insect rep., hand sanitizer, wet-wipes (travel size pack), soap, shaving needs, toothbrush/paste, TP roll, allergy pills, washcloth x2, vitamins, EMT shears, anti-ointment, TUMS, CPR shield
Communication- cell phones w chargers (120v/12v), batt. operated radio
Tools- Leatherman Wave, wire saw, mirror, LED Surefire, 50 ft. paracord, duct tape, carabiners x2, ziploc bags (assorted), garbage bags (hefty’s x2), zip ties, sharpie pen
Fire- Bic lighter, mag strip, matches, fire sticks,
Navigation- County and State map, GPS
Documents- Driv. Lic., SS cards, Acc. #’s, marriage lic (photocopy), passports, fam. contact info, money ($100 each), roll of quarters, deck of cards

Just in Case- HK USPc 9mm with 4 mags (43 rds) HP ammo.
AR-15 w/ 3mags loaded Federal HP ammo.
Holster, sling, rods, brushes, CLP, rags,

Yeah it may have a lot of overkill and I have no idea on the weight, but this is the result of me reading 10 pages of this forum and thinking it out for the last week.

EDIT: Almost one year later, I've hit the 20 post mark.

Sounds like you are off to a great start.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes when you take it out for a weekend and try it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I just recently found this section of the board. Wish I had seen it sooner. I have always been the "prepared" guy among my friends and this has made for some good reading. A lot of what I have seen posted is great and some is just silly. I guess it's up to everyone to decide which is which....
My input here will be on the various guns you will be packing. Here is my thoughts on this. In a situation where heavy duty defence weapons will be needed IE, black guns and such, you will most likely have some time to grab them and extra ammo. What I see as being the best choice is something like a Springfield M6 scoout 410/22. Over/under, small, light, folds in half or a simple pin breaks it in two. You can shoot 410s, 45 colt and here is the biggie, subsonic 22s. Very handy for discrete food gathering activites. Works to hold off the unarmed and does not look like an AR to those that wish us not to have guns.
As far as shelter and sleeping bags, a couple of brown or green tarps, 6X8 and 10X12ish and two or three surplus wool blankets provide a level of comfort and protection as well as being more versital than a sleeping bag.
If you have the moneyand the desire to spend it then of course the high end stuff is great. if not then a GI duffle, tarps, blankets and other low dollar stuff work well too.
One last thought that I have not read here is a 60 hour candle.Available at wally world for $3 and they weigh almost nothing! Heat and light in one cheep compact unit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By acman145acp:

Originally Posted By SmittyMOjoe:
Dave5339.....

Nice kit! How do you like the Katadyne Pocket filter?
Oh, and can we get this tacked? PLEASE!

smitty

The msr sweetwater is nice option for a pack imo

FWIW I had an MSR Sweetwater filter fail catastrophically on me in the desert, on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, creating a potentially life-threatening situation. I always keep puri-tabs with me now as well. The MSR folks DID replace the filter with an updated design, sent it to me no charge after I sent them a particularly pointed e-mail, but I think the Katydyn filters are better made, although heavier. (metal models)

I had about 10 liters through the filter total when it became clogged with algae siphoning water from a stock tank and exploded. We were about 8 miles from the car, and I was able to filter enough for us to get there - but it tasted like algae, so I doubt the filter was really doing it's job. We had used all our water the night before (had a dog with us too) knowing we had a tank full of water and my nearly new filter. Always have a back-up plan (puritabs). We were lucky and didn't get sick, but it could have gotten ugly had we been out further.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 4:03:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FLDSCHMK] [#42]
One thing I did'nt see in the OP but did'nt read all 10 pages is a good first aid kit complete with meds and ointments etc... Gotta have that.

ETA: I also have a mini fishing kit, line, weights, jigs, hooks that all fit into a tic tac container. I can trim a branch and make a little cane pole and catch crappie and breem all day long.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 6:32:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By FLDSCHMK:
One thing I did'nt see in the OP but did'nt read all 10 pages is a good first aid kit complete with meds and ointments etc... Gotta have that.

ETA: I also have a mini fishing kit, line, weights, jigs, hooks that all fit into a tic tac container. I can trim a branch and make a little cane pole and catch crappie and breem all day long.

1st page,,1st gear list posted. thats where the FAK's are.

ya should read all 10,,lotta different ideas,views and talk about who does and has what!
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 3:50:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Just curious ... do any of you guys keep one of those "tube tents" that I've seen advertised on some camping websites in your BOB?  They don't seem to be made all that well .. but do seem like they'd be convenient to store.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By JayJay4735:
Just curious ... do any of you guys keep one of those "tube tents" that I've seen advertised on some camping websites in your BOB?  They don't seem to be made all that well .. but do seem like they'd be convenient to store.

I have one that I carry on my snow machine pack only because it works better than a tarp to keep the wind out. I also carry a tarp. I would not buy it again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By AKwildcard:

Originally Posted By JayJay4735:

I have one that I carry on my snow machine pack only because it works better than a tarp to keep the wind out. I also carry a tarp. I would not buy it again.

Thank you for the response, thats pretty much what I was expecting to hear for a tent that costs under $10.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Protus, thanks for starting this thread and thanks to all who have contributed.  It's great that like minded folks share their experiences to help others.  This is ARFCOM at it's best!  

As a Boy Scout I took the motto "Semper Paratus" (Always Prepared) very seriously and have always had some sort of BOB before I knew they were called BOBs.

Now that I'm a husband and father of two, my plans are focused on bug-in/hunker-down and BOV centric scenarios.  My kids are 4 and 2 and we are in So. Fla. in an urban/suburb AO.  Bugging out solo to the Everglades or undeveloped woodlands within hiking distance is possible but I don't think it's feasible with the amount of materiel I would need to sustain my family for 72 hours or more. In addition to the food, shelter, warmth, hygiene, and defense stuff everyone has listed I've also packed crayons, coloring books, some hot wheels and a stuffed animal for each of the little guys. They'll be stressed so these things should help even though the goal is to "add lightness."

Traffic is bad here on a normal day and there aren't many ways out of So. Fla. therefore the roads will most likely be jammed. It seems my choices come down to either getting out really early (crystal ball?) or staying put.  The other alternative would be to try start taking flying lessons, save up for a used Cessna and a BOL in flying range. Unrealistic, I know, but hitting the road may just put us further into harms way.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

I like how this guy modified his Springfield Armory M6 and the flexibility the M6 offers.
Springfield Armory M6
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#48]
This is my BOB, It is reall a GHB lite.
Its a hawkpak MA54.
I have 3 AR mags, 3 Glock mags, G19, Surefire C2 Centurion, 2 extra sets Batteries. 1 34 oz Nalgene bottle. Two home packed meals. gerber multi-tool, Pepper spray, caltrops etc...

Its a good bag with the things I need by my side.
i keep a first aid pack and others stuff in my pack.
Jim

Link Posted: 3/21/2008 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
This is my BOB, It is reall a GHB lite.
Its a hawkpak MA54.
I have 3 AR mags, 3 Glock mags, G19, Surefire C2 Centurion, 2 extra sets Batteries. 1 34 oz Nalgene bottle. Two home packed meals. gerber multi-tool, Pepper spray, caltrops etc...

Its a good bag with the things I need by my side.
i keep a first aid pack and others stuff in my pack.
Jim
i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/jimanders1967/IMG_2376.jpg

i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/jimanders1967/IMG_2377.jpg

i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/jimanders1967/IMG_2379.jpg

i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/jimanders1967/IMG_2380.jpg

i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/jimanders1967/IMG_2381.jpg

i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/jimanders1967/IMG_2383.jpg

buckshot_jim, do you imagine that you'll be bugging out on foot with that bag?  How far?  

Will you be bugging out with a longarm?  

How will you carry the rifle with that bag out of sight?
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By toyotaman:

buckshot_jim, do you imagine that you'll be bugging out on foot with that bag?  How far?  

Will you be bugging out with a longarm?  

How will you carry the rifle with that bag out of sight?

I can walk forever with that bag. It normally stays in my trunk along with my rifle and pack.
I live in a very rural part of Texas and don't care if anyone sees me with a rifle.
If it comes down to the point where i am having to use this stuff, i will either move cross country and avoid people or I will be firing.
i can still be discreet if i need to.
The BOB has just enough supplies for to last couple of days. My pack is loaded with extras.
Jim
Page / 24
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 5 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top