Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2020 7:25:28 PM EDT
A nice pic of my bud Dave. It was a beautiful day (weather wise) outside of Pacifica, just south of San Francisco. We put in at Half Moon Bay, Pillar Point Harbor. It was much nicer than our usual fog out of Moss Landing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is another legal keeper, but small. We released 3 others before realizing 20" was legal. Outside our home port legal is 24".

Attachment Attached File

A cool boat, Albacore. Nice fat diesel, I have a cool 5 sec vid but no host.

Attachment Attached File

Dave's boat.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I forgot to mention:

That fish Dave is holding is a true wild California salmon, the little one is not.

There is a small roundish fin on the fishs' back between the dorsal and the tail on natural fish. You can see it in front of Dave's thumb. Hatchery fish do not have those (the one on the deck), they are cut off when a little RFID chip is brain implanted, I shit you not. They use them to track "farmed" wild fish.

If the CDFG (California Department of Fish and Game) happens along, you might have to surrender that fish's head. Lots of people aren't happy with that as they want to eat it. Not me, that's cool.. Take the head.

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 12:19:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#2]
Pretty color salmon, back when I lived in San Fran. I used to go out and fish half moon bay for salmon also.  

It was a while back, long enough ago that typically lines were rigged with a weight that when struck would open a clip and drop the lead weight to the bottom.

I'll bet lines aren't rigged in that fashion anymore.

ETA. that fin you referred to is called the adipose fin
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 3:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
Pretty color salmon, back when I lived in San Fran. I used to go out and fish half moon bay for salmon also.  

It was a while back, long enough ago that typically lines were rigged with a weight that when struck would open a clip and drop the lead weight to the bottom.

I'll bet lines aren't rigged in that fashion anymore.

ETA. that fin you referred to is called the adipose fin
View Quote

I missed your reply. Yes, sinker releases (commonly known as a dog whistle) are most certainly still used. I've been on head boats out of Pillar Point (party boats) with 40 people all rigged that way.

They are getting $10 bucks for a 2.5lb cannonball these days. HMB has shallower fish (under 80 feet) so sinker releases are more common there than in Monterrey Bay (currently they are down 190-225 feet).

We use downriggers on Dave's boat.

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice day OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top