Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
6/11/2011 5:09:50 PM EDT
Been playing about with truck type/working Grendels for a long time and have evolved a brutal tough piston rig based on the monolythic upper with a knurled barrel and AAC flash hider. Very nice set up but frighteningly expensive for mere mortals.  

So how is this for an economy version. Tactical 14 barrel mounted up in a regular upper with one of the new Samson handguards and a piston drive. Obviously have to mod/weld the flash hider to meet ATF regulations but this came together from a test handguard we ran on a Beowulf for the Samson people. Testing to date is going well and the amount of abuse this thing can absorb is something else. Ran shoot and move drills, Rodesian shoots and target identification and engagement until the handguard was too hot to hold even with Nomex gloves. Never missed a beat. Minimal cleaning, miserable to no lube and repetative days of work without much more than a barrel brush through to pull out the bigger chunks of carbon from the Wolf MPT. Optics are EoTech which pushes up the cost but I figure that they are tough enough that I save on BUIS.

I like the idea of this form of the rifle. The production gun is superb but like I said the cost is horrid so I plumbed up something I could afford. Now I need to get some pictures up.

So how about the Grendel hordes( and the 5.56 guys) show some pics of how they are setting up work guns. No shame for the safe queens as long as the basics are sound. Steel case ammo will push more emphasis on this type of gun so the more the merrier.
6/23/2011 9:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrojanMan][Edited] [#1]
AA,

This thread has been chilling without any pictures for too long.

So here's mine, with a 20" Satern barrel.



I know, bad pic from my wife's point-and-click.  Also, it hasn't been fired except for 10 rounds to sight in the irons.  
Don't worry, I'll get some time to get out this weekend and open her up.  

Maybe I'll snap some range pics if I remember the camera.

ETA:  Yeah, not really a "truck gun," either, but it'll ride in my truck to and from the range.  
6/24/2011 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Liking the beer tap ! That"s way better than feet.  
Caretaker of Pack Larue 2010 Dillo #001 94
7/29/2011 5:19:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WolfTrack][Edited] [#3]
It hasn't seen a range yet.  So, no report yet.  I let my membership lapse after they were closed down a while back, and my work schedule hasn't been cooperative to finding somewhere for an evaluation.

Lower:
A highly personalized Territorial Gunsmiths Lower
Sully Stock
Troy Ind. QD Sling plate
Ergo grip

Upper:
BCM Upper Rec
BCM Bolt Carrier
BCM Gunfighter CH
Alexander Arms 16" mid-length bbl/bolt
Primary Weapons Custom comp
JP/VTac free-float tube
GG&G FLT ring/base scope mount
Leupold European 2-7x w/ Germ #4 ret

Stock, receivers, and FF tube are in DuraCoat's Coyote.  Ergo is their tan.  Troy sling plate is their FDE.


8/15/2011 5:39:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOTHERmaninblack][Edited] [#4]






18" Liberty barrel


A2 flash hider


Adams Arms middy piston system w/bolt carrier


Alexander Arms 6.5 upper


YHM diamond pattern free float


Tapco VFG


Anvil Arms lower (yeah, I know, just before they went under)


Daniel Defense LPK


Standard charging handle


Civvie 6 position M4 stock.


Primary Arms M4 Red Dot w/5X magnifier.


C Products 30 round mags (not shown)





 
Please don't call me a "sheepdog". If you must apply a label, make it "dolphin". I help people because I want to, not because the farmer throws me scraps!
2/1/2012 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=592&d=1321309879
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=593&d=1321309884

20" stainless Alexander Arms barrel, M4 feed ramps, rifle length gas
A2 flash hider
YHM gas block/tube
YHM diamond rifle length hand guard
USA Tactical Firearms upper and lower (Statesville, NC)
DPMS lower parts kit
Hogue grip
Magpul PRS stock
Burris PEPR scope mount
Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40

Plan on changing to an AA side charge upper and RRA 2 stage trigger.
4/6/2012 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Heres my homemade 6.5 Grendel. I'll be taking it to the Badlands Tactical Advanced Phase 1 sniper school in September.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In