Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2022 7:41:45 AM EDT
I would like to be able to visit Canada. I have 4 duis. All of them were misdemeanors.  Never hurt or killed anyone. The most recent one is over 6 years old.  Btw I have been sober since then.        

I have read online that Canada will not allow anyone with more then one dui into the country. I have also read that I can basically pay a fee and Canada will overlook my duis. Does it matter if I fly or drive ? I'm looking for more information about this.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same issue I been dealing with for years, as I have to go to Canada for work a few times a year. You have to get a TRP. A temporary residency permit. You have to apply using their application, pay a $200 CAD fee. Here is the website that will tell you everything you need to do:

Go here

Once you pass five years since the last thing you were required to do (like one year probation for example) you are allowed to apply for rehabilitation. But if it has not been five years since the end of your last requirement of your conviction, you have to check the box "for information purposes only" in the application and get a TRP each time you want to go to Canada. TRP approval can take a couple weeks all the way up to a few months. Rehabilitation can take over a year sometimes. So if you have applied for rehabilitation, you have to get TRPs to get in until your rehabilitation is approved.

It is a pain in the ass to apply for a TRP. You can email your everything or snail mail the application. Here's the whole problem with this process - there's absolutely no one you can talk to you in person or on the phone from the Canadian immigration services. The only way to talk to a human is if you actually go to the border and try to get in. But if you don't have a TRP, it's about a 50% chance that they will refuse you. Sometimes you get lucky and they will look at your conviction at the border and give you a TRP.  But it is a gamble if you try it that way. I will apply.

You can email this email - [email protected] they will give you a canned explanation of how to get a TRP. They WILL NOT email you back and forth oranswer ANY questions. The only way they will actually be personable in an email is if your TRP was excepted and it is in the system waiting for approval. Right off the bat you will have to get an FBI background check and a state background check from every state you have ever lived in for more than one year. Just go ahead and get that out-of-the-way. Everything else is just your background information, and copies of all of your judgments against you. It is a pain in the ass, but once you do it one time and PDF everything, it's not that bad every time after,
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Rumor has it. CBSA has limited access to the FBI’s NCIC. Last I heard it was 7yrs back on misdemeanors and only certain ones.  Not sure if that’s true or not, but I know guys that cross regularly with multiple old DUI’s. Recent ones may get you banned from entry for life without going the proper route. Canada doesn’t mess about with DUI’s, Gun charges, or assault charges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top