Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2019 8:48:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM]
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 10:37:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glenn_r] [#1]
I've spotted errors on that site before. Better to go to the actual source. Or at least confirm it's accurate before counting on it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:27:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:48:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#3]
First thing I see is there's no need for CO, MI, and PA saying "Yes, with restrictions". The restriction is "resident permits only".... WI issues resident permits only.

edit: there is an exception for military stationed in WI, they can get a WI resident permit... so I suppose that's a valid thing to put on the map.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:05:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#4]
Carry in places of worship? There is no State statute prohibiting concealed carry in places of worship, unless the place of worship is on the grounds or within 1,000 feet of a school which provides an educational program for one or more grades between grades 1 and 12. Also, since places of worship are private property, they may post signs prohibiting firearms.

AFAIK, a concealed carry permit allows carry within the 1000' school zone anywhere in the state, churches not withstanding. But not on grounds of a school itself.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 9:18:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:

I've seen a lot of churches that provide educational programs, I wonder how that fits into the equation.
View Quote
Look up the definition of a school.

From the DOJ's CCW FAQ - https://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/default/files/dles/ccw/ccw-faq%201-2018.pdf ...

What is the definition of a school?

School is defined as a public school, parochial or private school, or tribal school, as defined
in s. 115.001(15m), which provides an educational program for one or more grades between
grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary school, middle school, junior
high school, senior high school, or high school. Wis. Stat. §§ 948.605(1)(b), 948.61(1)(b).

948.61(1)(b) - b) “School" means a public school, parochial or private school, or tribal school, as defined in s. 115.001 (15m), which provides an educational program for one or more grades between grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school, or high school.

Just having an educational program doesn't make it a "school"... unless it's a full time elementary, middle, or high school, it's not a "school".

edit: also from the DOJ/FAQ link above is this - • A person who is a CCW licensee or out-of-state CCW licensee may possess a
firearm within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school, but not in or on school grounds.
Wis. Stat. § 948.605(2)(b)1r
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
another question

Sword canes are illegal in Wisconsin

Can you possess and carry one if you have a concealed carry license?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
View Quote
Out of curiosity.....have a statute/cite?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#9]
Originally Posted By NAM:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NAM:

No I don't was just looking at Cold Steel's website and they will not ship to CA or WI
I assume there was a law

https://coldsteelarizona.com/sword-canes/pistol-grip-sword-cane.html

Sword Canes not legal for sale to residents of CA or WI.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:12:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#10]

No I don't was just looking at Cold Steel's website and they will not ship to CA or WI
I assume there was a law

https://coldsteelarizona.com/sword-canes/pistol-grip-sword-cane.html
View Quote
My guess is it's outdated. Knives no longer meet the definition of "dangerous weapon", which is what the concealed weapon statutes address. 941.23(1)(ap): "Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (10), “dangerous weapon" does not include a knife."

What is a knife vs a sword? Is a sword also a knife? I was unable to find legal definition for either. YMMV, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I get catalogs from these guys all the time, so I looked up cane swords and just picked one at random to see if they would ship one to WI. Yes apparantly they do, as it does say this -"This Item Cannot Ship to the Following States: CA, MA, NY". No mention of WI.

https://www.budk.com/Gil-Hibben-Custom-Self-Defense-Sword-Cane-16209
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#12]
another question

Can you possess and carry one if you have a concealed carry license?
View Quote

Right from the letter that you get from the WI DOJ with your CCW card it states you are now authorized to conceal a gun, electric weapon, or billy club
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
How does a Wisconsin res carry and travel to the other states legally?  Can Wisconsin res get a ccw in another state to expand the abilty to carry more states?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#14]
So regarding the church/school thing, what would be the defining thing for school property? Question is due to church is building onto the school as was always planned. They share a wall and entrance. However there is is separate church only entrance. Obviously they share the parking lot. Can I goto church and enter through the church only entrance while CCW? Or is that in violation? This is assuming the church is not posted, like the old separate building wasn't. They list themselves as XXX church, school and early learning facility if that means anything legal wise.

Just a question I can't seem to find the answer to without paying a lawyer and arf has many time been very knowledgeable in the past. In no way would I consider here to be the definitive answer but can be of help in where to look.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:34:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OWCH] [#15]
Originally Posted By mindless1:
So regarding the church/school thing, what would be the defining thing for school property? Question is due to church is building onto the school as was always planned. They share a wall and entrance. However there is is separate church only entrance. Obviously they share the parking lot. Can I goto church and enter through the church only entrance while CCW? Or is that in violation? This is assuming the church is not posted, like the old separate building wasn't. They list themselves as XXX church, school and early learning facility if that means anything legal wise.

Just a question I can't seem to find the answer to without paying a lawyer and arf has many time been very knowledgeable in the past. In no way would I consider here to be the definitive answer but can be of help in where to look.
View Quote

Not a lawyer:
Part of an answer..
If parking lot for church has lines for games on pavement. ( basketball hoop, tennis courts, hopscotch,  stuff.)
Then that is considered School property.
Any part used for School functions.
Don't cross that threshold. Don't park in that lot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jayfro:
How does a Wisconsin res carry and travel to the other states legally?  Can Wisconsin res get a ccw in another state to expand the abilty to carry more states?
View Quote

you can get permits from other states by meeting their requirements and applying for the permit.

I have a Florida and Wisconsin permit, the only reason I have the Florida permit is I travel there quite a bit and it also gets me Texas which Wisconsin permit doesnt do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lokltrkr:

I have a Florida and Wisconsin permit, the only reason I have the Florida permit is I travel there quite a bit and it also gets me Texas which Wisconsin permit doesnt do.
View Quote

You do know that FL now honors a WI permit, right?

I used to have WI, FL, UT, MN. My daughter moved from MN so I no longer need that one, and I let my FL expire also when I learned my WI was good there. I kept UT because it's relatively cheap, and UT will get you carry rights in TX also.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I think Texas went constitutional carry last year now that I think about so I may not need Florida any longer since I retired and wont be done there that much anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I just renewed my FL for the sake of renewing it. Small price to pay to keep; rather have it and not need it. Plus, laws change.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top