Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2019 12:37:17 PM EDT
I’m a Minnesota resident but I spend about 70% of the year in North Dakota working.. usually Jamestown, Valley City, Minot, grand forks, and occasionally Mandan.  I’m looking at getting into precision rifles but Minnesota it’s impossible to find anywhere to shoot past 300 yards with the exception of one club that has a 1000 yard rifle range but it comes at a price - $400 a year, 2 year waiting list, and have to volunteer on certain weekends which I can’t with my job.

I’m considering just talking to some farmers that’ll let me hunt coyotes and prairie dogs on their land and asking if I can setup a few steel targets for long range.

Anyone here mind pointing me in the right direction?  I’d love to be able to spend my off time doing something I’d enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 2:23:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rn22723] [#1]
There is 1K plus range up by New York Mills , MN.  
Faribault Gun Club is not that expensive and they go out to 600yds

Forks Rifle Club in Grand Forks is out to 600yds

Jamestown out north of town at the dam has about 300yds

Minot Rifle and Pistol Club

Bismarck Mandan Rifle and Pistol Assn has 1000yd range east of Bismarck

Elk River Sportsmans Club in Elk River runs an F Class league on Monday nights.  They shoot to 600yds.  Contact them as that league is open to
non members.  Just need a confirmed 100yd zero and equipment to get out to 600yds.  Their membership recruitment is open nov 1 through dec 31.  To shoot 600 there you need 3 people when you do.

The problem with long range shooting to safely shoot you need 3 people one pulling target, one spotting, and the shooter.  
Setting up to shoot long distances is time consuming.  Most ranges do not want bullets leaving the range.  Got to be a good neighbor.  
Impromptu long range shooting is pretty tough especially on weekends where most clubs in the summer host events.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm fairly new to the Grand Forks area (a little over a year) and this is the first I've heard of the range near the dam in Jamestown. After some research, I found out it's the Pipestem Shooting Range, but from what I've read it was closed in 2015 due to misuse. Has it reopened?
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of touch I guess on my part
Oh well as the article said STUPID PEOPLE CAUSED IT
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a great link, thank you!
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:05:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#6]
Minot Rifle and Pistol Club has steel out to 740y.

Most days when I go, there’s no one there, especially during the winter, it’s kind of nice.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top