Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2019 3:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dana]
I am thinking about getting a short light bolt action rifle that i will be traveling in the USA with. I might also cross into canada with it. I have looked at the paperwork that i would need to do. Some of it looks like the barrel would need to be over 18". Some forms look like it could be shorter AS LONG AS it was made at the factory shorter than 18". Can anyone clear up what the rifle barrel length laws are in Canada? I would like to use a 16.5" barrel. I need to know if it is OK to have a barrel this short. Then i need to know if it matters if it was done at the factory like this or can i ave my smith shorten it to 16.5"

PS. Also any issues with threaded barrels on a bolt action rifle?
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By dana:
I am thinking about getting a short light bolt action rifle that i will be traveling in the USA with. I might also cross into canada with it. I have looked at the paperwork that i would need to do. Some of it looks like the barrel would need to be over 18". Some forms look like it could be shorter AS LONG AS it was made at the factory shorter than 18". Can anyone clear up what the rifle barrel length laws are in Canada? I would like to use a 16.5" barrel. I need to know if it is OK to have a barrel this short. Then i need to know if it matters if it was done at the factory like this or can i ave my smith shorten it to 16.5"

PS. Also any issues with threaded barrels on a bolt action rifle?
View Quote
You can cut a barrel down to 18", you can have a shorter barrels on a bolt action as long as they are manufactured.

Threaded barrels are not a problem.

Pinned flash hiders/brakes do not count towards barrel length.

If your stock folds or telescopes, the overall length must be over 26" when folded/collapsed.

Definition of a prohibited firearm

B. a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,

1. is less than 660 mm in length, or

2. is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top