Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked Texas HTF Discord Server (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2020 2:39:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SouthEndXGF]
In response to This Thread - I went ahead and started building a discord server for backup communication purposes if anyone has/wants discord and is interested in joining.

PM me if you're interested in an invite link, and I'll send you one when I log in and get PMs (usually a few times a day).

This is being created as a backup communication tool in case something happens to ARFCOM and we need to rely on or communicate with our regional members or fellow Texans.

so far we have the ability to set your server role to your local region, a channel for HAM and Radio operators, as well as general discussion and regional discussions.

Voice and Text channels both, easily accessible from your phone, PC, or tablet, and an emergency-use only channel if you're interested in just using this server for that purpose.

We will be doing our best to reasonably vet out members so we don't have random accounts wind up with access. each invite code sent will be a one-time use only.

if you have questions about discord or would like to know more about the details, feel free to reach out to me.

https://discord.com/
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 3:20:01 AM EDT
[#1]
PM'ed
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#2]
keep in mind Discord isn't secure at all.  It's not even intended to be secure.  I would propose a Signal channel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in, though I'll second Signal as well
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind that Discord is anti 2A and has shut down other gun related servers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
usairc.org
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hondaciv:
keep in mind Discord isn't secure at all.  It's not even intended to be secure.  I would propose a Signal channel.
View Quote

Tell us more about Signal.  Why is it better?  

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

Tell us more about Signal.  Why is it better?  

View Quote

It's an encrypted messaging app. Nothing is 100%, but it's a lot more secure than Discord. Or arfcom...

It's more about making yourself a hard target as opposed to a soft one
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Blitzcraig173:

It's an encrypted messaging app. Nothing is 100%, but it's a lot more secure than Discord. Or arfcom...

It's more about making yourself a hard target as opposed to a soft one
View Quote

I get that, but I know nothing about it.  Is it set up like Discord, where you can have "servers" that have channels, and users can have different roles in each channel?  I totally see the advantage in having secure messaging available, but is it as practical as Discord for all of the organization and social stuff that is much more likely to be needed before the need for secure messaging?  If so, great, let's switch.  If not, then maybe we need both?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#9]

I get that, but I know nothing about it.  Is it set up like Discord, where you can have "servers" that have channels, and users can have different roles in each channel?  I totally see the advantage in having secure messaging available, but is it as practical as Discord for all of the organization and social stuff that is much more likely to be needed before the need for secure messaging?  If so, great, let's switch.  If not, then maybe we need both?
View Quote

I'd say no, Discord definitely offers other things and I think using both makes sense.

I'm new to signal, but it seems to strictly be for messaging. You can set up group messages though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#10]

I'd say no, Discord definitely offers other things and I think using both makes sense.

I'm new to signal, but it seems to strictly be for messaging. You can set up group messages though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Discord is nothing but a data sink.  I wouldn't use it to discuss lawn mowing tips and tricks.  Signal lets you set up group chats and is secure.  My theory is if afcrom were to ever go down, the alternative should be an upgrade, not a massive downgrade (security wise) like discord.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
keybase is a better alternative for groups. it provides channels and is encrypted end to end
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 For signal. It is not the best, but it is up there.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Discord is nothing but a data sink.  I wouldn't use it to discuss lawn mowing tips and tricks.  Signal lets you set up group chats and is secure.  My theory is if afcrom were to ever go down, the alternative should be an upgrade, not a massive downgrade (security wise) like discord.
View Quote

How to you propose setting it up so that all the Texans can talk, but also just the DFW folks, or just the Houston folks?  Is it possible for an admin to keep the groups for group messaging up to date?  Or if a new member is vetted, does every member of the group have to add the new guy to the group message string?  Are there limits on the number of users in a group?

This is important if things haven't become an emergency:  Can you set it up so that notifications come through in some situations, but not other situations?  Like, can someone send a direct message that will give you a notification, but all the chit chat in the group won't give you a notification?  Is there a way to mark a group message "urgent" so that everyone gets a notification?

I don't know anything about signal, but if it's got the functionality of SMS but with end-to-end encryption, then I think we need something more.  Using it with Discord sounds like it might be what we need.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#14]

How to you propose setting it up so that all the Texans can talk, but also just the DFW folks, or just the Houston folks?  Is it possible for an admin to keep the groups for group messaging up to date?  Or if a new member is vetted, does every member of the group have to add the new guy to the group message string?  Are there limits on the number of users in a group?

This is important if things haven't become an emergency:  Can you set it up so that notifications come through in some situations, but not other situations?  Like, can someone send a direct message that will give you a notification, but all the chit chat in the group won't give you a notification?  Is there a way to mark a group message "urgent" so that everyone gets a notification?

I don't know anything about signal, but if it's got the functionality of SMS but with end-to-end encryption, then I think we need something more.  Using it with Discord sounds like it might be what we need.
View All Quotes

No, it wouldn't be able to do all those kinds of things.  I get what you are saying.  It (the backup.  whatever it is) needs alert capability.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm... Well, I'm intrigued.

I'm going to get the app and see how it works.  If anyone from the Discord server wants to also mess around with it, we can see how it works and how it can be integrated into a backup communication plan.  Secure comms sounds great to me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#16]
So what's the disposition of this?  Discord or Signal?

DFM
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DerFALMaus:
So what's the disposition of this?  Discord or Signal?

DFM
View Quote

Discord is definitely where everyone is right now.  If we need secure comms, I think we'll organize it from there.

PM SouthEnd (OP) to get in.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Bet on it being compromised, though.

What's needed is a tiered secure comms system (public, private, confidential) and associated leadership structure that manages respective access.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By barnbwt:

Bet on it being compromised, though.

What's needed is a tiered secure comms system (public, private, confidential) and associated leadership structure that manages respective access.
View Quote

there are several arfcom related discord servers i've been in for years.

i don't expect this to be a secret-squirrel planning tool - just a way to communicate off site should something happen here.

any actual planning or more sensitive traffic can occur somewhere else, discord just makes an easy place to reach everyone quickly if needed.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#20]
So is Discord a voice chat app/program? I've heard it mentioned before but never looked into it before.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:
So is Discord a voice chat app/program? I've heard it mentioned before but never looked into it before.
View Quote

It's like a combination of chat room, text message, and voice chat.  It's pretty slick.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]

It's like a combination of chat room, text message, and voice chat.  It's pretty slick.
View Quote
Yeah pretty neat. Sounds similar to echolink that we use for ham radio.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#23]
discord is china controlled spyware bullshit. may fuck be upon them.

come to usairc. it is run by current and former arfcommers.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Apparently we will eat our own arguing about the best place to connect outside of Arfcom.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CastorTroy:

View Quote

I wasn't aware that any part of Discord had anything to do with China.  Care to share?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I’d be interested once we agree on a platform
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#27]

I wasn't aware that any part of Discord had anything to do with China.  Care to share?
View Quote

Discord is still american owned.

They have venture capital funding which Tencent is apart of.
Tencent is chinese with ties to the CCP.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By tigerx:

View All Quotes

So absent any evidence to the contrary, I say the concerns about its security seem overblown (not that I'm crazy about the Chicom involvement).

Good enough for non-secure semi-public messaging as suggested, imo
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#29]

So absent any evidence to the contrary, I say the concerns about its security seem overblown (not that I'm crazy about the Chicom involvement).

View All Quotes

Antifa used to get caught all the time because they used Discord.  Discord is a privacy sink.  It establishes who you are, and who your contacts are.  I wont use it for any reason.  I realize im in the minority because of those reasons.  Some people just dont care about privacy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Antifa used to get caught all the time because they used Discord.  Discord is a privacy sink.  It establishes who you are, and who your contacts are.  I wont use it for any reason.  I realize im in the minority because of those reasons.  Some people just dont care about privacy.
View Quote

And yet, you're here, giving up your identity.

The way I'm looking at it, this isn't some sort of secure communications, we'll use Signal or something else for that.  This is an emergency replacement for this website if things get really bad.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll take an invite.

But let's all be honest with ourselves for a moment.

If things go "sideways" cell phones and internet and all that jazz is going down anyways, having an alternate chat channel isn't going to help. Discord is just nice when you're bored and want to chat instead of post on a forum and wait. Having a backup makes more sense if we're talking about a Facebook group or IG page getting the Zuck, as oft the gun pages do.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

@CastorTroy

Can you tell us more about usairc and how it works?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:37:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaTrueDave] [#33]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Having a backup makes more sense if we're talking about a Facebook group or IG page getting the Zuck, as oft the gun pages do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Having a backup makes more sense if we're talking about a Facebook group or IG page getting the Zuck, as oft the gun pages do.

That's what started this:  the thought of Amazon Web Services (or other big web hosts) pulling the plug on gun websites like this one.

Originally Posted By JTX23:

@CastorTroy

Can you tell us more about usairc and how it works?

IRC is an old school chat room.   Are IRC servers/clients encrypted now?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Download an IRC client and connect to irc.usairc.org on port 6667, and if you want encryption, the SSL port is +6697. There is also a webchat client on the website, usairc.org
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Gentlemen, in a true SHTF situation, runners are the only secure means of comms.

At best the comms avenues y'all are exploring should be limited to alert notifications and putting a preplanned 'response' into action. Anything using electronics can and will be compromised.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m in the Austin metro area - well ~40 miles give or take from downtown....

Read through this thread, but did we ever establish what we should use? Discord, signal, irc?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By longhorn77:
I’m in the Austin metro area - well ~40 miles give or take from downtown....

Read through this thread, but did we ever establish what we should use? Discord, signal, irc?
View Quote

There's a group of us on Discord as a backup for this site.  We haven't settled on any further methods of communication.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#38]

There's a group of us on Discord as a backup for this site.  We haven't settled on any further methods of communication.
View Quote

How does one get added?

Been using discord for years to game with my friends.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PraesidiumFabrica:

How does one get added?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PraesidiumFabrica:

How does one get added?

One wanting to be added would read and follow the instructions in the OP:

Originally Posted By SouthEndXGF:
In response to This Thread - I went ahead and started building a discord server for backup communication purposes if anyone has/wants discord and is interested in joining.

PM me if you're interested in an invite link, and I'll send you one when I log in and get PMs (usually a few times a day)...
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Download an IRC client and connect to irc.usairc.org on port 6667, and if you want encryption, the SSL port is +6697. There is also a webchat client on the website, usairc.org
View Quote

As this poster said, just go to #lobby on usairc. Most of the old arfcom chat-server folks are here anyway and its not controlled by arfcom or any big corporations.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Any interest in using Wire?

https://wire.com/en/

You don’t have to give up your phone number* like you do with Signal - all you need is an email address to sign up.

Just throwing this out there as well since it’s also encrypted and has voice and video chats as well as groups.

*You could use a Google Voice or other VOIP number for use with Signal if that’s an issue.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#42]
PM'ed
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DStrokes:
PM'ed
View Quote

same
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RickyRifle:
Any interest in using Wire?

https://wire.com/en/

You don’t have to give up your phone number* like you do with Signal - all you need is an email address to sign up.

Just throwing this out there as well since it’s also encrypted and has voice and video chats as well as groups.

*You could use a Google Voice or other VOIP number for use with Signal if that’s an issue.
View Quote

Nothing you say on this wire.com server, either, is secure, private or safe from government snooping.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#45]
sent
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Well after all the purging that happened today, PM sent.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Pmed  you
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#48]
PM'd
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Sent
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#50]
PM’d
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Tacked Texas HTF Discord Server (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top