Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
still a bad time to push forward with this?

What would be the first steps in this whole movement? We have a good packet of reading material put together in this thread but I dont know the fisrt thing about talking to reps etc. I will gladly follow instruction here though if it means ANY steps forward would be taken in this fight!
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 10:16:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: g33kfu] [#3]
Originally Posted By shadeone:

What would be the first steps in this whole movement? We have a good packet of reading material put together in this thread but I dont know the fisrt thing about talking to reps etc. I will gladly follow instruction here though if it means ANY steps forward would be taken in this fight!

I think given the current gun climate and group of legislators we have right now that it may be best to hold off on any kind of push and wait for a more opportune time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By g33kfu:

I think given the current gun climate and group of legislators we have right now that it may be best to hold off on any kind of push and wait for a more opportune time.

This.  I think it's best we focus our energy on defeating any further anti efforts for the time being, and perhaps consider working on silencers for next year.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:37:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ranb] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I think it's best we focus our energy on defeating any further anti efforts for the time being, and perhaps consider working on silencers for next year.
View Quote

Ignoring this kind of advice is exactly how we got silencer use legalized in WA back in 2011.  While the pro-gun groups were neglecting bills that would ease restrictions, individual gun owners met with their legislators to fight off anti-gun bills and pass pro-gun bills.  How many years will you guys say "next year" until you realize that you were suckers for waiting so long?

Ranb
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:47:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ranb] [#7]

View Quote

The time to push is NOW!  Anyone who is not willing to push for years to pass a bill does not really want the law to change.  That is a friggin fact.  The anti-gun slobs know this, why don't you guys?

Start here; MN legislature
MN House of Representatives
MN Senate
Find your legislator
Write to them (USPS), call them on the phone, set up a time to meet with them.  It is very easy the second time you do it.  They are merely part time legislators with other full time jobs for the most part.

I am a WA resident now but grew up in MN and visit twice a year.  I have met with a MN Senator before to convince her of the merits of a silencer bill.  She was willing but since there was very little support from other Senators (no doubt due to the silence of MN gun owners) a bill never happened.  I am usually in MN in the summer and X-mas if anyone wants me to help them talk to the legislator.

Man or mouse, the mouse get his guns taken away, the men and women get to keep them and more.

Randy Bragge
(360) 440-5889
[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 11:52:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Puck] [#8]
Nevermind, not going to derail the thread.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I stumbeled across this in a google search
Some good info here
http://terminal-ballistics.blogspot.com/2008/07/getting-with-times.html
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
So are we going forward with any of this or not?
Someone want to fill me in here?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By FrozenWinter:

So are we going forward with any of this or not?

Someone want to fill me in here?
View Quote
I think the consensus is to lay low and see how the next election turns out. We did just barely hold off NYC/CA type attack on the 2A.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess the question I have is whether dayton would veto it or not.  

I think it's great for everyone to notify/inform their representatives about their desire to have suppressors but I think we need a couple key people on the inside that are willing to push hard for it.  It seems like it would be hard for anything to happen unless there are representatives that are doing inside work on a bill.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/Suppressors.pdf

Wonder if anyone ever sued the gov't for hearing loss.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Although it is the anti gun bills like Colorado's mag ban that are getting the attention, some pro-gun bills have made progress in other states.  The Democrats in WA passed an SBR bill and the Republicans in Michigan passed an SBR/SBS bill into law this year.  

Has anyone in MN been able to talk their legislator into sponsoring a silencer bill?

Ranb
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like someone else is giving this a shot via a petition...

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/civilian-ownership-of-firearm-suppressors.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Signed. Should we post this in the main forum to get more traffic?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:43:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shadeone] [#18]
signed as well, posted to facebook and silencertalk

also started a general discussion firemission post....
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Signed it.  Man would I love for this to happen
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone talked to Tony Cornish about a suppressor bill?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Has anyone talked to Tony Cornish about a suppressor bill?
View Quote

That's a good question.  I believe people have in the past and he's had less than favorable views of it?  but that has now maybe changed?  someone in the know can correct me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone hear any updates regarding cans in Minnesota?  I'm in the process of formulating an email to Senator Peterson to see if he would be willing to sponsor a bill.  Does anyone have a fact sheet that I could reference?  I didn't see the 1 page pamphlet that was referenced in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#23]
To add, I found a comprehensive list from the Minnesota Sheriff's Association https://netforum.avectra.com/eWeb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=MSA&WebCode=MNsherifflist.  I've taken a quick look at it and it looks to be up to date.  Is it possible that we could get the ball rolling on this again?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By abpMN:

To add, I found a comprehensive list from the Minnesota Sheriff's Association https://netforum.avectra.com/eWeb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=MSA&WebCode=MNsherifflist.  I've taken a quick look at it and it looks to be up to date.  Is it possible that we could get the ball rolling on this again?
View Quote
Wait until after MN elections to squeak too loud. Right now, nothing will pass.

I'm not sure you will get much LEO support. From Sheriffs I have talked to (and all candidates up for election), they either lean no or have "no strong opinions" on it. Civvys don't need cans, because you may either do bad things or give them to bad guys, apparently.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone hear any updates regarding cans in Minnesota?  I'm in the process of formulating an email to Senator Peterson to see if he would be willing to sponsor a bill.  Does anyone have a fact sheet that I could reference?  I didn't see the 1 page pamphlet that was referenced in this thread.
View Quote

http://americansuppressorassociation.com/   Maybe these guys could help you with the info/propoganda side of it
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm not sure you will get much LEO support. From Sheriffs I have talked to (and all candidates up for election), they either lean no or have "no strong opinions" on it. Civvys don't need cans, because you may either do bad things or give them to bad guys, apparently.

The line in Blue.

Folks aren't happy with Governor Mumbles and the DFL-mafia.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#27]
So I take it, given the results of the election, that this is going to be on the back burner for some time to come? It's too bad. I love this state but I'm seriously considering getting the hell out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Survival101:
So I take it, given the results of the election, that this is going to be on the back burner for some time to come? It's too bad. I love this state but I'm seriously considering getting the hell out.
View Quote

I think we need to start pushing.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone know Tony's position on cans?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Albright is G2G

http://gocra.org/grading_2014.php?src=front
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:11:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nsz] [#31]
View Quote

Here is my interview with Rep. Cornish from years past. We discuss suppressors at about 9:35

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

View All Quotes

Completely agree.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By nsz:

Here is my interview with Rep. Cornish from years past. We discuss suppressors at about 9:35

http://youtu.be/wXGc8g1l_UQ?
View All Quotes

Not yet for private ownership. I like this guy. How do we start? I will go door to door if I have to.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Not yet for private ownership. I like this guy. How do we start? I will go door to door if I have to.
View All Quotes

We need to organize a leadership committee of some sort, first.  It doesn't do any good to have all sorts of people out talking up suppressors without having a common direction.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sjuhockey10:

We need to organize a leadership committee of some sort, first.  It doesn't do any good to have all sorts of people out talking up suppressors without having a common direction.
View All Quotes

I think we have some talent on this forum. NSZ85 has a good following on tube and obviously is able to get in touch with politicians. You work at Atomic (owner?) so I'm assuming you have a lot of contact with gun owners… I am a college professor (somewhat irrelevant and I will get fired if I start pushing suppressors on my students, esp. since my boss is a former DFL senator) with no law background, but I can be very loud. We should find someone with law experience who's willing to put some time into this. I can do some research - I think the statistics would be our best asset… The next logical step would be a meeting and assignment of a committee/task force.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#36]

I think we have some talent on this forum. NSZ85 has a good following on tube and obviously is able to get in touch with politicians. You work at Atomic (owner?) so I'm assuming you have a lot of contact with gun owners… I am a college professor (somewhat irrelevant and I will get fired if I start pushing suppressors on my students, esp. since my boss is a former DFL senator) with no law background, but I can be very loud. We should find someone with law experience who's willing to put some time into this. I can do some research - I think the statistics would be our best asset… The next logical step would be a meeting and assignment of a committee/task force.
View Quote

We have a broad cross-section here on Arfcom -- the key is wisely utilizing the resources we have.  I'm not the owner of Atomic, but I definitely have a lot of contact with the firearms community and I'm reasonably well connected within the industry.  If we can get organized, there are interests in the NRA willing to assist us, along with other organizations.

The statistics help, but this is going to require more of a PR campaign than just throwing numbers around.  We need to show why suppressors are reasonable and, really, why they're the choice of responsible, considerate gun owners.  There are many angles we can push to get our agenda across.

I've already discussed some of this with a few attorneys I know, one of whom indicated he'd be willing to contribute some of his time, though he may be a bit busy right now with semi-related matters.  On the political side, Tony Cornish is friendly to the matter, and Jim Newberger told me over the summer that he supported suppressor legalization as well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#37]
What role does GOCRA play in this?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

From the conversations I've had with Andrew Rothman (GOCRA prez), their position is that they will fully support any pushes for suppressor legalization within the state, but they currently don't have the resources to lead the charge, so to speak.  Now, the last time he and I discussed the matter was around this time last year or very early this year, so I don't know if that has changed with the results of the election or the apparent slowing of anti-gun legislation.  I'll talk to him and see what he has to say.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#39]

From the conversations I've had with Andrew Rothman (GOCRA prez), their position is that they will fully support any pushes for suppressor legalization within the state, but they currently don't have the resources to lead the charge, so to speak.  Now, the last time he and I discussed the matter was around this time last year or very early this year, so I don't know if that has changed with the results of the election or the apparent slowing of anti-gun legislation.  I'll talk to him and see what he has to say.
View All Quotes

Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Just talked with Andrew, and GOCRA is planning on taking up suppressor legalization for the coming legislative session

Sounds like the plan is to start pushing the issue on January 26 and go on from there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#41]
if I can be of assistance some how I would like to, just not sure what I can do to lend at a hand right now since I'm not a lawyer or politician or industry expert :D
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DriverJ:
if I can be of assistance some how I would like to, just not sure what I can do to lend at a hand right now since I'm not a lawyer or politician or industry expert :D
View Quote

You don't need to be a lawyer, a politician, or in the industry to write and call your legislators and show up at that GOCRA rally at the Capitol.  The government needs to see that this is an issue that's important to a lot of average, everyday Minnesotans.

Write, call, and email folks in the government.  Spread the word around to other shooters.  Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, whatever.  Get the word out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I am in if I can help with things.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#44]
The antis are on the run; now is the time to do this.  No more playing defense.  

I just joined GOCRA.  Let's keep up the momentum.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#45]
PR campaign has begun.

Its time to start pushing. Talk to your friends, start networking.

We also need to get behind the organized push.

Anyone have any connections to local friendly media?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#46]
PR campaign has begun.

https://www.facebook.com/mngopac/photos/a.223706547798844.1073741828.219302818239217/394669174035913/?type=1&theater

Its time to start pushing. Talk to your friends, start networking.

We also need to get behind the organized push.

Anyone have any connections to local friendly media?
View Quote

I like it
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#47]
You guys need to get this passed so I can bring my cans along when I come to visit my son and grandkids.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ranb] [#48]
I got an e-mail from the GOCRA today.  Part of it was about silencers.

These important safety devices not only make shooting quieter and more enjoyable, but they can keep you from permanently damaging your hearing if you have to fire a gun in your home. They’re legal in 39 other states. Why not Minnesota?
View Quote

There is absolutely no question as to why silencers are not legal for ordinary civilians in MN; it is because no one is able to convince their Representative or Senator to sponsor a bill and push it through committee.  Am I and everyone else who got that e-mail so stupid as to believe there is any other reason?  That's why not GOCRA.  Get it now?

Randy
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:00:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sab308] [#49]
HF1434

Bill is in progress, brought forth by Mark Anderson.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sab308:
HF1434

Bill is in progress, brought forth by Mark Anderson.
View Quote

woohoo!  now what is the next step/timelines?  This is great news
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top