Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2020 4:50:42 PM EDT
Couple of friends and I are in Broken Bow to hunt prairie dogs... I had about two dozen towns tagged on Google Maps but we're mostly striking out as far as finding owners or getting permission. Anybody have some leads in the area?
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
It’s been my experience that it’s pretty tough to find landowners willing to let you hunt regardless of species. I would check out the Nebraska national forest near Halsey. A lot of property to hunt and this time of year there won’t be many people on the land. I would go to the south side near the dismal river. You can setup on the bluffs and have good observation pretty far out. I’ve never p dog hunted it, but always saw plenty when deer hunting out there
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
if you find out some of us Nebraskan's would like to know too! lol. But as its said above, your are going to have to find them on public land, private land owners in NE tend to be weird and usually don't let strangers on to hunt any species. At least that's been my experience.

outdoornebraska.gov has a pretty good public access map on where to hunt. I usually cross reference with google maps if i'm trying to do some virtual recon of areas.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 7:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#4]
Hey all, sorry for the late reply.

Surprisingly enough only one person we asked turned us down, and that's because he already had a group of hunters for the weekend. Everybody else was friendly, and I believe two of them only had the request that we don't drive into the fields because it was so dry.

Out of the 24-25 fields I'd tagged on Google Maps, maybe a dozen that we checked were still active. About half of those were accessible, and none were on public land.

We ended up using two farmer's fields, one was kind of a bust (the dogs refused to come out much after the initial shots were fired) but the other appeared to have been rarely hunted... I killed my first one at about 20 feet with a MKIV 22/45 while he was standing there like an idiot We probably killed a total of 100+ there. Being private property with a friendly old man I'd rather not post the location though.

I'd still much rather find public land somewhere with some big towns, but my buddy who organized the trip has more of a "wing it" style, while I prefer to plan as much as possible beforehand.

ETA: Topic moved? But still in the Nebraska section? I could have sworn I posted it here
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump!

We're planning another trip in March/April, so checking in to see if anyone has some good leads
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top