Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/13/2008 3:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kzx87]
In comparison to my NY permit... it was just so easy i almost want to shed a tear of joy.

Oh, and it was through Centre County and Sheriff Denny Nau.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Well don't just tease us with the subject, post some supportive links!
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn shame us jersey peasants still can't even get one of those......
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I love Pa. I also sent out and recieved my non resident carry in Pa in about a weeks time. New hamshire was also very quick to respond. I sent away for Maine, they cashed the check but Im still waiting.
Big difference from these states to NY state.
I had no clue about these non resident permits until I checked out the website below. Lots of good info here.

http://www.usacarry.com/
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By johnQpublik:

You can carry in PA with a non-res FL CCW.

Link Posted: 12/13/2008 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By neversurrender:

I love Pa. I also sent out and recieved my non resident carry in Pa in about a weeks time. New hamshire was also very quick to respond.

You can carry in PA with a non-res NH CCW but not the other way around. AFAIK if you have a NY + a non-res NH & FL CCW there is no point in getting a PA CCW.

Link Posted: 12/13/2008 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
AFAIK if you have a NY + a non-res NH & FL CCW there is no point in getting a PA CCW

Other than to prevent any misunderstandings with the PSP, who from time to time still feel that out-of-state non-res. permits aren't valid - despite the AG stating otherwise.

Link Posted: 12/13/2008 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Tom488:
AFAIK if you have a NY + a non-res NH & FL CCW there is no point in getting a PA CCW

Other than to prevent any misunderstandings with the PSP, who from time to time still feel that out-of-state non-res. permits aren't valid - despite the AG stating otherwise.
Duly noted. Both FL & NH are Cat 1 states.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Note:
It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that
there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's
reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an
individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the
position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within
Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid
license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the
license/permit holder's place of residence.

Categories of Firearms Reciprocity

Under Pennsylvania law, there are six categories of firearms reciprocity status.

Category 1: States that have entered into written reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania.  (Title 18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6109(k))

The
following states have entered into formal written reciprocity
agreements with Pennsylvania under section 6109(k) of the Uniform
Firearms Act.  These agreements provide for reciprocal recognition of
valid licenses/permits issued by both states.  Recognition in
Pennsylvania is based on the individual's issuance of a valid
license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the
license/permit holder's place of residence.

Link Posted: 12/13/2008 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Ideally, all i need is a PA/NY/NJ/CT/MA permit.

PA I have, NY I have, NJ I'll never get, CT probably, MA maybe...

If I go outside of those states once a year, i'd be surprised.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]

I got one from Pa. Of course it's expired and they wont renew it. I suppose they got a visit from some people in trenton, at least that's what I hear.
Bastids! (trenton, not Pa)[>:/]
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kzx87:
In comparison to my NY permit... it was just so easy i almost want to shed a tear of joy.

Oh, and it was through Centre County and Sheriff Denny Nau.

My Dad had one from St Lawrence cty. He said it was easy at the time (15+ yrs back)
I'm sure things have changed.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
New Hampshire was VERY slow with mine.
When I called they were very nice. They told me theyre "waiting on NJSP to get back to them". I told them their law said it should be done in 30 (or whatever it says) days.
They told me that if we dont hear from them by the end of the week "well just mail it out"
I replied "if it involved citizens and guns the call from NJSP will not be one of the things they think of as a priority".
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By ctrmass:

I got one from Pa. Of course it's expired and they wont renew it. I suppose they got a visit from some people in trenton, at least that's what I hear.

Pursuant to  PA state law if your state of residence (in your case NJ) issues concealed carry licenses you must have one in order to be issued a PA CCW. That's why NJ residents get a FL non-res CCW and carry in PA with the FL license.

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Funny this subject came up.

I just sent in for my PA license (about a week ago, so I'm hoping it comes soon).

Going to PA in January and would like to bring my pistol for personal / family protection.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
mine was literally 7 days including the days it was in the mail both ways
Center County rules

that reminds me, I need to send them my change of address
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 8:39:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jbalazs] [#17]
Originally Posted By ctrmass:

I steel have a carry permit  from Pa and I live in NJ
You can do it  take a little ingenuity. I have renewed it several times
But as you said FL permit will work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I got a question for you all. I have a FL license and FL CWL, and a house in FL which i rent now since i have moved to jersey and dont plan on changing my info to NJ stuff since this state Blows.. Is there any way i can buy a handgun in NJ or any other state close by without having to go back to FL. I know i can buy long guns in PA since i just bought my AR 2 months ago there and usually go there every other weekend now to buy long guns.lol But i am looking to build my hand gun collection up and would hate to have to drive to FL each time. Thanks Guys

Plus 1 for PA allowing my to carry in there state with my FL CWL
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 1:34:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sherm8404] [#19]
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually, since you say you "moved" to NJ, then NJ is your actual state of residence, not FL.  That means any 4473's you fill out would have to list NJ as your state of residence, which won't match with your ID (FL driver's license), which would halt any transfer.

Of course, providing false information on a 4473 isn't a good idea...

Link Posted: 12/16/2008 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#21]
well i dont plan on getting a NJ ID. I also dont own or rent a house here but plan on "living" in both states so it wouldnt be lying. Im still amused every day at how this state could have such crappy gun laws.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Do I need a NYS permit to apply for a FL permit?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Rich219:

No.

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 11:09:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rich219] [#24]
Originally Posted By rkbar15:
No.

So I could get a FL permit which would allow me to carry in PA? So if I have family in PA and I had a FL permit I could legally carry while I'm down there. Could I legally store a pistol at a family member's house in PA?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#25]

No.

So I could get a FL permit which would allow me to carry in PA? So if I have family in PA and I had a FL permit I could legally carry while I'm down there. Could I legally store a pistol at a family member's house in PA?
Yes you can carry in PA with a FL non-res CCW. Yeah you could store a handgun in PA but under Federal law unless you establish a second residence in PA you cannot have a handgun transferred to you in PA. You really should get your NY license.

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 1:16:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rich219] [#26]
No.

Yes you can carry in PA with a FL non-res CCW. Yeah you could store a handgun in PA but under Federal law unless you establish a second residence in PA you cannot have a handgun transferred to you in PA. You really should get your NY license.

I'm going to move out of NY by the end of the summer so I think I'll go ahead and establish a second residence in PA now w/ my family member there. With the banking industry dead in NY right now the state doesn't have much more to offer me.

ETA: How do I go about legally making PA my second residence so I can legally purchase a firearm there?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Update:  Got mine today (total turnaround about 8 days).

Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#28]
February bump
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#29]
My niece's NYS license has hunting and target restrictions. Should she bother applying to Pa or N.H.?
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Demeroma:

My niece's NYS license has hunting and target restrictions. Should she bother applying to Pa or N.H.?

They don't care. A NH non-res license is good in PA so you don't need both. A PA non-res license is not good in NH though.

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#31]
rkbar15, thanks for the reply!

I'll let my niece know right away.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I sent my stuff there to them, they sent it all back to me saying I had to have a full carry here with no restrictions to get one there
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Dodgeram:

I sent my stuff there to them, they sent it all back to me saying I had to have a full carry here with no restrictions to get one there

Who is is "them" and when did you do this?

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 1:26:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodgeram] [#34]
I sent it to centre county, all the paperwork, all my licenses, everything they wanted including the money order, they mailed it back saying my license in NY had to be a full carry.  Got it back 3 weeks ago
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#35]

I sent it to centre county, all the paperwork, all my licenses, everything they wanted including the money order, they mailed it back saying my license in NY had to be a full carry.  Got it back 3 weeks ago

Yikes, you're the first person I've heard of to have a problem with Centre County.

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought it would be a piece of cake, I sent copies of all my papers and licenses. It is weird, the first line in the instructions says;
A photocopy of a License to carry a firearm(concealed carry permit) from YOUR home state, if your state has a concealed carry law, they wrote back, must be full carry, no restrictions. I was pissed
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I was thinking of writing back and tell them that Nassau county does not issue full carries except for business purposes
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#38]
This is either some new policy or someone in the SCSD is misinformed. I would write a letter to the SC Sheriff for AFAIK this was never the policy of his office.

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/211.asp

Denny Nau, Sheriff

Centre County Sheriff

213 East High Street

Bellefonte PA 16823
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the info, should I write the letter first? or just send back my papers with a letter stating that Nassau does not issue full carry
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Thanks for the info, should I write the letter first? or just send back my papers with a letter stating that Nassau does not issue full carry

Looks like you might be screwed. I guess your only option is to get a NH or FL CCW which is good in PA.

http://forum.pafoa.org/question-answer-40/41738-ny-resident-page-2.html#post539635

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Just apply to Centre County with a copy of your restricted NYS permit, they know the deal.  I have one, same situation, ther eis no restricted PA permit.  Also, you can carry openly (OC) in PA and CC in your vehicle on any out of state permit, just no CC in public, for that you need an LTCF.  PM me if you have any issues or questions.  I have actually spoken with Sheriff Nau, really nice guy, pro-gun, pro-carry.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By emsjeep:
Just apply to Centre County with a copy of your restricted NYS permit, they know the deal.  I have one, same situation, ther eis no restricted PA permit.  Also, you can carry openly (OC) in PA and CC in your vehicle on any out of state permit, just no CC in public, for that you need an LTCF.  PM me if you have any issues or questions.  I have actually spoken with Sheriff Nau, really nice guy, pro-gun, pro-carry.

As I mentioned earlier, thats exactly what I did, and they sent it back
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 12:25:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Your license has the restrictions on the front?  

Mine says "Sportsman", but it's only on the back that it specifies what that means. I didn't send them a copy of the back. maybe someone did and they're on to us?
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 1:05:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: emsjeep] [#44]
Mine says it right on front. " For Target Only To and From Range"  I did not send them the back with my sn's on it for obvious reasons.  Under your NC license type does it say "Carry"?  They never have had an issue with this before, I wonder if they got some new office help...  They will work things out over the phone, I would give them a call before going through the trouble of a letter.
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Click the link that rkbar posted a few replies back of the PA forum. I think I'll just wait for my FL license to come in, unless they change those rules on me also,lol
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Yeah, I'm a member over there, I saw the thread.  I don't know why mine is kosher and yours wasn't...I did send mine in a Dept. envelope with my Official title (Lt.) and dept mailbox as the return address...so it wouldn't get lost at home if it got sent back...maybe that had something to do with it....?

I did mine in August/September 2008 and not a single question was asked.  If you can get a PA one, even by sending them your unrestricted NH one when it comes it would be a good idea.  I don't trust PD out here in PA to be OK with an out of County PA permit, no less a NY restricted or NH non-resident permit.  I had a Deputy tell me I would go to jail if he caught me carrying on a Centre County non-resident permit in his county...1)That would result in a big win in court and lots of $$ for me, 2) Unless I was carrying at the courthouse I don't know where he would actually encounter me...but whatever, the point is that some places have a really bad attitude about this kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By emsjeep:

I don't trust PD out here in PA to be OK with an out of County PA permit, no less a NY restricted or NH non-resident permit. I had a Deputy tell me I would go to jail if he caught me carrying on a Centre County non-resident permit in his county.

Nice. Does the asshole also make-up his own speed limits and other criminal law violations for non-residents. His LE function should consist of cleaning the bathrooms at the station.

Link Posted: 2/2/2009 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#48]
As a Deputy Sheriff in Pennsylvania...that actually pretty much is his job.  They are more or less pretend COPs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#49]

You can carry in PA with a non-res FL CCW.  

As a Jersian I can carry in PA with a non-res florida CCW? How does that work?
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 8:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rkbar15] [#50]

Originally Posted By adrock1978:

As a Jersian I can carry in PA with a non-res florida CCW? How does that work?

The Florida Carry Permit Road Show

Florida CCW License

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top