[Last Edit: Striker] [#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mojo:
Thanks for the info, Striker.
 We decide to fly in Portland.  Stay there for couple days then head to Saint John, NB.
 We plan to stay in airbnb at Saint John for several days and do day trips to different areas each day, if we want to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Striker:

If you want to fly in..I would land in Moncton. Portland is a long drive to the border.
It can get cool at night and in the evenings in Oct so I would bring warm clothes.
Things to see and do.
Hopewell rocks where you can walk on the ocean floor when the tide is out.
Fundy National Park for site seeing and hiking.
some info for you.
Thanks for the info, Striker.
 We decide to fly in Portland.  Stay there for couple days then head to Saint John, NB.
 We plan to stay in airbnb at Saint John for several days and do day trips to different areas each day, if we want to.
Like Striker said, Portland is a haul to the Border.  I'd assume you're going to cross at Calais into St Stephen then head up 1 to St John.  I'd recommend crossing at the 2nd Port in downtown Calais and hit the candy factory in St Stephen.  Be careful driving at night or early in the morning.  Swamp Donkeys on the roadway will ruin you evening and the fog can be crazy thick.  St John is a cool town for a few days.  Italian By Night has good food and Lemongrass is a fun bar with live music. Go to a Sea Dogs game if they have one.

Are you planning on going up the coast and back or flying out of Moncton or some other place?  Beware they will stick it up your tail pipe if returning a rental car in a different country.  Also, flying in/out of Moncton or Freddy will be an all day ordeal.  They'll fly you to either Toronto or Montreal then to someplace in the US then to your final destination.  I normally fly into Bangor and drive 9 if I'm going to the Down East area.  If I'm going to Freddy or Grand Falls I hit 95, cross at Houlton/Woodstock and take the Trans Canadian in the respected direction. But those routes do not offer majestic ocean views just pine trees and rocks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:35:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mojo] [#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Thanks for the info, TnMike.
 We'll be flying into Portland.  Rent a car and stay overnight.  Next day, we plan to stop at Bar Harbor (3 hrs drive or so) for a day.  Then to Saint John for few days.
Day trips to different areas such as Fredericton, Moncton, PEI,...Maybe Nova Scotia.  The plan is very tentative and we can change it if we want to.  We'll fly back home from Portland also.

I know 8 days might not be enough to cover what we like to see:  foliage change, scenery, culture,...But hopefully, we hit some highlights around that region.
View Quote
Not a problem.
Portland is full of Massholes so beware. Its the wrong time of year but if you see fiddleheads on a menu, order them. I consider them the North East version of fried okra. The Maritimes are pretty cool, I think you'll like it. NB is funny as the closer to Quebec you get the more French it gets. If you like oysters, my personal opinion is, PEI are the best, better than Gulf Coast. Those West Coast oysters are like snot on a slate.  Order poutine. I'm probably going to catch hell for this but Quebec has the best Poutine in the world.  Some good beer, Alpine is not.
Since you'll be flying back from the US, look into Bangor. The downtown area has some decent restaurants/bars but you'll need a cab to get back to your hotel. The airport has a Sheraton that isn't too bad and has a restaurant that's okay.  Also, Stephen King lives like a half mile on the other side of 95 from the airport. Pretty cool house.
Make sure to top off your tank before crossing into Canada. Call your bank/CC company before going, check your cell plan before leaving, do currency exchange at a duty free at the border rather than an airport, and your going to lose cell service from time to time, so be aware of that for GPS purposes.
When are you headed up?  I didn't get pulled this year in ME for a Moose permit but my buddy's son and his wife both pulled one.  I'll be headed up sometime in October to help out with that and for business.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I exchange USD to CAD on the US side. The duty free in Houlton only charges $1 for it which is way cheaper than any bank or airport. I think the DF in Calais is the same company.  I try to keep at least a few hundred bucks on me because of the international transaction fees my CC company slaps on each swipe.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TnMike:
I exchange USD to CAD on the US side. The duty free in Houlton only charges $1 for it which is way cheaper than any bank or airport. I think the DF in Calais is the same company.  I try to keep at least a few hundred bucks on me because of the international transaction fees my CC company slaps on each swipe.
View Quote
We just get Canadian money from ATMs when we're there.

With the amount you travel, have you looked into getting a hotel or airline affiliated CC that doesn't charge international fees? I have a United visa, my wife has a Marriott visa. Those are all we use when we're in Canada, no extra fees.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:

We just get Canadian money from ATMs when we're there.

With the amount you travel, have you looked into getting a hotel or airline affiliated CC that doesn't charge international fees? I have a United visa, my wife has a Marriott visa. Those are all we use when we're in Canada, no extra fees.
View Quote
My debt cards have never worked in Canada.
I’ll have to look into those CC’s. I’ve been on the fence about getting a Delta CC since I fly with them a lot. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top