Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

I have ALS (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/16/2023 8:15:45 PM EDT
Not looking for pity. Just an FYI.

Was diagnosed in May but was feeling effects of it in 2022. I have lost a lot of function
in my hands, have a difficult time walking now. I have a slight difficulty swallowing and
can still breath well. I at peace with this but hate what my family will have to go through.

About twelve years ago my wife and I started traveling and spending some money on ourselves.
Making memories with Family and friends. That was a good move. The point is that there are no
guarantees in life and I suggest that if you are able you do the same.  

I am fortunate that I had a lot of sick time banked and also have good LTD so we are doing good
financially. I am trying to keep going as hard as possible to keep making memories not for my sake
but for those I leave behind.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m sorry man, thats a shit disease. Best wishes and please don’t hesitate for a second if there is anything we can do for you or your family.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Whoa...  I don't know what to say.  

God bless you and your family.  
View Quote

Thank you and for some of my family's memories with range time on your M-16
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PR361:
I’m sorry man, thats a shit disease. Best wishes and please don’t hesitate for a second if there is anything we can do for you or your family.
View Quote

Thank you and the big blessing is that we are in good in shape with family, friends and finances
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers for you and your family for the rough times to come. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy every second you have to be with family and friends.

I wish I had better words...
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear that Randy. You were always a welcomed participant at all of the gatherings we attended together over the years. Stay strong...live your life. You are correct, nothing is guaranteed.

Prayers will be sent.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#7]
That's terrible, you have my deepest sympathies but it does see you have the right attitude. Enjoy life while you can because tomorrow has no guaranties. I hope you get through this with as little suffering as possible. God bless.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers for you and your family for the rough times to come. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy every second you have to be with family and friends.

I wish I had better words...
View Quote

Thank you, your words are just fine
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jjrockbush:
Sorry to hear that Randy. You were always a welcomed participant at all of the gatherings we attended together over the years. Stay strong...live your life. You are correct, nothing is guaranteed.

Prayers will be sent.
View Quote

Thank you and I always enjoyed the gatherings and so did members of my Family.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
That's terrible, you have my deepest sympathies but it does see you have the right attitude. Enjoy life while you can because tomorrow has no guaranties. I hope you get through this with as little suffering as possible. God bless.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Randy, as I said in my IM to you last night, if there's anything I/We can do, please don't hesitate to ask.

You have my number, feel free to call me anytime.  

View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 3:12:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Procyon] [#13]
Sorry to hear that.

My sincere condolences to you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Procyon:
Sorry to hear that.

My sincere condolences to you.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The thing I think about the most is our grandchildren. My son has two, a 6 year old girl and a three year
old boy. I have made memories with them that at least the 6 year old will remember. Camping and day
trips to parks and such. My daughter gave birth to a boy almost 3 months ago. I don't believe I
will be able to do the same with him. The two on the outside of the first pic are my son's and the
infant is my daughter's. But I feel blessed to have had the time I was given with them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m so sorry. We’ve never met, but myself and my family will be praying for you and yours. If there’s anything I can do feel free to message me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:
I’m so sorry. We’ve never met, but myself and my family will be praying for you and yours. If there’s anything I can do feel free to message me.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Prayers sent for you and your family.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bettst:
Prayers sent for you and your family.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I am sorry to hear this terrible disease has found you. My wife was a hospice nurse and from what we talked about Parkinson’s and ALS are not nice.  God bless you and your family.

Daniel
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AGR1279:
I am sorry to hear this terrible disease has found you. My wife was a hospice nurse and from what we talked about Parkinson’s and ALS are not nice.  God bless you and your family.

Daniel
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Prayers sent for you and your family. If you need anything reach out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By swamp_fighter:
Prayers sent for you and your family. If you need anything reach out.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not sure what to say, old friend  
I've always enjoyed seeing you and the family over the years.
Wishing you all the best, if there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Monkey_Wrench:
I'm not sure what to say, old friend  
I've always enjoyed seeing you and the family over the years.
Wishing you all the best, if there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to reach out.
View Quote

Thank you
You said enough and my family and I enjoyed the time we spent at events with you guys. I was an
outsider and always felt welcome and comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#26]
wishing you the best.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
wishing you the best.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Brother, you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong for those amazing grandkids.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Brother, you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong for those amazing grandkids.
View Quote

Thank you and I am doing my best
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Brother..  you were never an "outsider"... to me or any of the other SWFL guys.    

Stay strong my friend.  
View Quote

Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Brother..  you were never an "outsider"... to me or any of the other SWFL guys.    

Stay strong my friend.  
View Quote
100%, one of the regulars.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#33]
sorry man, wishing you the best. I know as I get older I know time is the most important thing in life. you cant get it back.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Coldbore556:
sorry man, wishing you the best. I know as I get older I know time is the most important thing in life. you cant get it back.
View Quote

Thank You
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
No one deserves this.  We'll be praying hard for you and your loved ones.
View Quote

Thank You
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry to hear this.  I'm going to pray with my wife for you tonight.  Enjoy what time you have.  That's a hard thing to bear, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ricky_45:
Sorry to hear this.  I'm going to pray with my wife for you tonight.  Enjoy what time you have.  That's a hard thing to bear, I'm sure.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#39]

sorry to hear you have to go through this. Im a retired Medic/FF in Palm Beach County. If you are in the area and ever need help with anything just send me a message.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 4:59:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSurvivalist] [#40]
Sorry to hear that brother.

Will be praying for you and your family. ✝️
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#41]
a family member went through the ALS meat grinder this year.  My most sincere prayers for your well being,  and for your family/caregivers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Thank you all. I have a small but very good group of friends and great family to help
me get through this.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#43]
An update to this

1:00 AM Tuesday I got up to pee and tripped on a rug and went face first into the rim of the tub.
I don't know how but I did not lose consciousness. I was bleeding like a stuck hog. I could
not get up and wife called 911. They transported me to Poinciana. They did a CT scan and
saw that I had a brain bleed. They did not have trauma dept so another ambulance ride
to LRMC. I got a 2.5 inch gash on my forehead and a 1 inch one on the bridge of my nose.
Crushed both air chambers in my nose and it was bent like a J.

The bleeding on the brain stopped and they did surgery on my nose on Thursday. I came
home Friday. Before this I could get around the house walking with leg braces. I can no longer
do this and have to use a walker now.

We are having a wheelchair platform lift installed because going up and down the steps is dangerous.
A power wheelchair is next. My wife and kids are taking good care of me and this is a blessing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
An update to this

1:00 AM Tuesday I got up to pee and tripped on a rug and went face first into the rim of the tub.
I don't know how but I did not lose consciousness. I was bleeding like a stuck hog. I could
not get up and wife called 911. They transported me to Poinciana. They did a CT scan and
saw that I had a brain bleed. They did not have trauma dept so another ambulance ride
to LRMC. I got a 2.5 inch gash on my forehead and a 1 inch one on the bridge of my nose.

The bleeding on the brain stopped and they did surgery on my nose on Thursday. I came
home Friday. Before this I could get around the house walking with leg braces. I can no longer

We are having a wheelchair platform lift installed because going up and down the steps is dangerous.
A power wheelchair is next. My wife and kids are taking good care of me and this is a blessing.
View Quote

Damn... sorry to hear this.

Continued prayers for you and your family.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

Damn... sorry to hear this.

Continued prayers for you and your family.
View Quote

Thank you I appreciate that
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Damn...  

As always, my thoughts and prayers to you and the family.

View Quote

Thank You
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
An update to this

View Quote
So sorry to hear this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I am glad to hear you and your family are doing well and they are watching for/helping you. That's very important as we all know. We never know where/how are lives will lead us but in all seriousness, I pray you may find the Lord if you don't have Him already. He offers/gives eternal peace. I know He has blessed and been with my family with our health issues over the years. As I get older, I find myself needing Him more and more, as we are just flowers that will fade away but He remains forever, 1 Peter 1:24-25. I will pray for you and your family as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Monkey_Wrench:
So sorry to hear this.
View Quote

Thank you
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
I have ALS (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top