Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2022 11:17:36 AM EDT
I have a neighbor planning to move back to the Boston area and he asked me for some help in getting a shotgun and some training before they leave.  

He told me what his budget is ($1500-2000) and I told him ibwould look into what he could have up there.  Unfortunately, it looks like the killjoys in the state government don't give you much to work with on the list of acceptable shotguns.  Initially, I went straight to the Benelli M4 or M2.  They're pretty well proven shotguns in the 3-gun world, so reliability wouldn't be a problem.  It seems neither of those are allowed.

In looking at the rest of the shotguns on the list, it seems like they are all 24-26" bbl hunting guns.  I did notice the 870 Marine Magnum was on the ok list though.  That caught my eye because I kind of suspect he won't be great with maintenance and rusting should be less of an issue.  

What are some good, compliant shotguns one could use?  I've not been able to find anything on barrel length.  I did see 5rd capacity.  

I can get him up to speed on shooting and reloading, etc.  We have a nice facility not too far away for that.  

Are there any potential issues he may need to be aware of when bringing a shotgun into MA?  

Thanks, all.

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:28:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#1]
@baxt3r

I’m curious what list your looking at that says what shotguns are legal or not?
The only list put out by the state is the consumer protection related list that only applies to handguns/firearms. That list only applies to what a MA FFL can sell to a citizen, it has nothing to do with what you may own or posess.

Rifles and shotguns have no such list. As long as they  obey the assault weapons ban then they are legal.

Here is the written MA general law of the assault weapons ban regarding shotguns.

Shotguns:
(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.

NOTE: Given (D) this means that break open, pump, bolt action shotguns are exempt from the AWB.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a list that was on a MA state website.  I got there through a web search.  The list was something about copies of other firearms.  It wouldn't surprise me if I was barking up the wrong tree.  

In reading your post, would that mean an M4 or M2 is legal?  I know zero about MA laws.

Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:50:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#3]
Yes, the guns you listed are fine in MA as long as you follow the written law above.

Nothing against Arfcom but you and your friend would be better served going to a more local forum.

Northeastshooters.com

There’s much better and more detailed info in the MA gun laws section and you can do a search for whatever type of gun or question you might have and get better results.

Sorry for your friend and their decision to move to MA. I hope he’s making a boatload of money to justify it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steve8140:
Yes, the guns you listed are fine in MA as long as you follow the written law above.

Nothing against Arfcom but you and your friend would be better served going to a more local forum.

Northeastshooters.com

There’s much better and more detailed info in the MA gun laws section and you can do a search for whatever type of gun or question you might have and get better results.

Sorry for your friend and their decision to move to MA. I hope he’s making a boatload of money to justify it.
View Quote

I'll see if I can do a little more digging tomorrow.  Thank you for the lead on the forum.

We can't figure out why in the hell they're moving back.  I think its mostly the wife wanting to go.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By baxt3r:

I'll see if I can do a little more digging tomorrow.  Thank you for the lead on the forum.

We can't figure out why in the hell they're moving back.  I think its mostly the wife wanting to go.
View Quote
See if she can be convinced to move to NH. I'm only ~6 miles into Free America from that state line.

They will need MA LTCs and a course to obtain them from a MA State Police certified instructor for mere possession of guns/ammo/ammo components. MA requires all guns to be locked up or on the person with the license, etc. MA is NOT friendly towards self defense. NH is a lot better and requires no licenses to own a gun, they only need to be locked up if a child is present, etc.

I'm an instructor certified to teach those courses and also teach a MA gun law seminar that is quite comprehensive. If they move North of Boston or are willing to travel to NH, they can contact me if interested. My sympathies if they move to MA (where I spent most of my life).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top