Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Engel12626:

If it's OAL is less than 26" then yeah I would think you're right. Meets the MI definition of a pistol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engel12626:
Originally Posted By Gunnerpalace:
Originally Posted By MichMan1:
Thanks for briefing him.  Several of us will be there.  The pistol registration should satisfy the State Police.

(Slams on Breaks)

Wait so SBR's would be registered as pistols....................does that mean they could be carried as truck guns?

If it's OAL is less than 26" then yeah I would think you're right. Meets the MI definition of a pistol.

Correct.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
God I hope this goes thru, I'm so ready. Now I have a question maybe you guys could help with. Now I have an AR pistol, 300blk, already registered as a pistol before the law changed. So its grandfathered from the old law meaning it could be up to 30" and still be considered a pistol. What would be the best way to do this. Register my pistol AR as a SBR or just get another lower to SBR. I maybe getting my hopes up, but this would be so cool.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fmkenner:
God I hope this goes thru, I'm so ready. Now I have a question maybe you guys could help with. Now I have an AR pistol, 300blk, already registered as a pistol before the law changed. So its grandfathered from the old law meaning it could be up to 30" and still be considered a pistol. What would be the best way to do this. Register my pistol AR as a SBR or just get another lower to SBR. I maybe getting my hopes up, but this would be so cool.
View Quote

Based on my limited knowledge, it seems it's reather difficult to get an AR under 26" OAL and still have it function reliably enough for any practical use. It seems that you'd be better off registering your grandfathered receiver and taking advantage of the 30" OAL requirement. That way you'd be back in business with a MI pistol truck gun
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By rjbergen:

Based on my limited knowledge, it seems it's reather difficult to get an AR under 26" OAL and still have it function reliably enough for any practical use. It seems that you'd be better off registering your grandfathered receiver and taking advantage of the 30" OAL requirement. That way you'd be back in business with a MI pistol truck gun
View All Quotes

My 300blk has a 9.5" barrel and is about 24" OAL from pistol tube to end of barrel. This caliber should function reliable, never shot it yet. So as a registered pistol and SBR it still could be a truck gun? Man I'm still smiling about this.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#5]

My 300blk has a 9.5" barrel and is about 24" OAL from pistol tube to end of barrel. This caliber should function reliable, never shot it yet. So as a registered pistol and SBR it still could be a truck gun? Man I'm still smiling about this.
View All Quotes

I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice, but it would seem that way from what I currently interpret the law as. The way I read the law, any SBR under 26" OAL must be registered as a pistol in MI; therefore, you can legally carry it with you MI CPL. Part of your MI CPL allows you to carry loaded pistols in your vehicle. If the SBR is over 26" OAL, it is not registered as a pistol and cannot be a truck gun.

Now, the part I question is how a police officer would handle the situation. While legally the definition of a pistol in MI is any firearm under 26" OAL, a cop may hassle you about it still being a rifle federally. My personal opinion, again not legal advice, is that if it's a pistol in MI you may carry it in the same manner as a "true" pistol. However, I do not have the time or money to be the guinea pig that proves that interpretation in court after a week in jail or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I did my part and sent emails to my representatives today.  Hopefully this passes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SlopShot:

if someone could draft up something for me to e-mail to my senator and representative i would greatly appreciate it! (i really suck at at writing things like that lol) my rep (Rick Outman) is a nra member not sure about my senator (Judy Emmons)
View All Quotes
Find your Senators here!

Find your Representatives here!

ETA: Both my Senator and Representative are Dems I sent them an email anyways.

if someone could draft up something for me to e-mail to my senator and representative i would greatly appreciate it! (i really suck at at writing things like that lol) my rep (Rick Outman) is a nra member not sure about my senator (Judy Emmons)

This, please.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NextGen:

This, please.
View All Quotes
Find your Senators here!

This, please.

Just use something simple like this:
Sen./Rep. Their Last Name,

I am writing to voice my support for Michigan Senate Bill 610. The bill would legalize the make, manufacture, and possession of short barreled rifles (SBRs) and short barreled shotguns (SBSs). The legalization of these firearms would align Mighigan with 41 other states that allow the possession of SBRs and SBSs that are compliant with federal law. The amended law would also allow Michigan manufacturers to produce these firearms for sale by federal fireamrs licensees (FFLs) throughout the country. This additional market could significantly improve the manufacturer's earnings.

An SBR is a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and/or an overall length of less than 26 inches. An SBS is a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches and/or an overall length less than 26 inches. These firearms are federally regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA, Title II of the Gun Control Act of 1968) by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE). The federal law requires a person to submit an application to the BATFE to own and register an SBR or SBS. This application must be submitted for each SBR or SBS the individual wishes to acquire. Each application must provide a passport photograph and a full set of fingerprints for a background check. The chief law enforcement officer with jurisdiction over the area in which the individual's residence is located must also provide his signature on the application. Lastly, the individual must submit a $200 USD tax payment to the U.S. Treasury. Due to these requirements, SBRs and SBSs are highly controlled and regulated.

SBRs and SBSs must also comply with all Michigan pistol registration requirements. This requires the owner to register the firearm with the Michigan State Police.

I urge you to consider this bill favorably as it would have a positive impact on the State of Michigan.

Thank you,
Your Name
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes
Find your Senators here!

This, please.

I am writing to voice my support for Michigan Senate Bill 610. The bill would legalize the make, manufacture, and possession of short barreled rifles (SBRs) and short barreled shotguns (SBSs). The legalization of these firearms would align Mighigan with 41 other states that allow the possession of SBRs and SBSs that are compliant with federal law. The amended law would also allow Michigan manufacturers to produce these firearms for sale by federal fireamrs licensees (FFLs) throughout the country. This additional market could significantly improve the manufacturer's earnings.

An SBR is a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and/or an overall length of less than 26 inches. An SBS is a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches and/or an overall length less than 26 inches. These firearms are federally regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA, Title II of the Gun Control Act of 1968) by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE). The federal law requires a person to submit an application to the BATFE to own and register an SBR or SBS. This application must be submitted for each SBR or SBS the individual wishes to acquire. Each application must provide a passport photograph and a full set of fingerprints for a background check. The chief law enforcement officer with jurisdiction over the area in which the individual's residence is located must also provide his signature on the application. Lastly, the individual must submit a $200 USD tax payment to the U.S. Treasury. Due to these requirements, SBRs and SBSs are highly controlled and regulated.

SBRs and SBSs must also comply with all Michigan pistol registration requirements. This requires the owner to register the firearm with the Michigan State Police.

I urge you to consider this bill favorably as it would have a positive impact on the State of Michigan.

Thank you,
Your Name

Thank you! i'm on it
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
We probably should start bombarding the Governor with phone calls and Emails.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NextGen] [#11]

View All Quotes
Find your Senators here!

This, please.

Thank you,
Your Name

Thank you, rj. Appreciate it!

ETA: Emails sent!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RodMI:
We probably should start bombarding the Governor with phone calls and Emails.
View Quote

Done
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]

I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice, but it would seem that way from what I currently interpret the law as. The way I read the law, any SBR under 26" OAL must be registered as a pistol in MI; therefore, you can legally carry it with you MI CPL. Part of your MI CPL allows you to carry loaded pistols in your vehicle. If the SBR is over 26" OAL, it is not registered as a pistol and cannot be a truck gun.

Now, the part I question is how a police officer would handle the situation. While legally the definition of a pistol in MI is any firearm under 26" OAL, a cop may hassle you about it still being a rifle federally. My personal opinion, again not legal advice, is that if it's a pistol in MI you may carry it in the same manner as a "true" pistol. However, I do not have the time or money to be the guinea pig that proves that interpretation in court after a week in jail or whatever.
View All Quotes

Assuming the proposed SBR/SBS law passes, grandfathered pistols under 30 inches OAL that are then approved on a Form 1 for SBR/SBS configuration, are still pistols and may be carrried concealed by a CPL holder.  Pistols not grandfathered and obtained after the change in the OAL length law, that are then approved on a form 1 for SBR configuration and are less than 26 inches may be carried concealed by a valid CPL holder, but the same post grandfathered pistol 26 inches or more then made on a form 1 as an SBR are not pistols and may not be carried by a valid CLP holder concealed, even though they are required to also be registered under the pistol registration prtocess.  Don't forget that the proposed law requires SBR/SBS to comply with the registration requirments applicable to pistols. The proposed SBR/SBS law does not say SBR/SBS's ARE pistols.  It says that SBR/SBS must comply with the registration process that applies to pistols.  Whether or not an SBR/SBS is a pistol in fact is a function of its OAL and that in turn dictates compliance or non-compliance with CCP criteria.  

Anyone else want to chime in feel free.  That is how I see it on first impression.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrTinkles] [#14]
When is this bill going to be up?

ETA I assume this will apply to police also?.... Might make the state like this more if we mention the police will have a better more versatile weapon to use.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:13:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cybersniper] [#15]
Police officers are already exempt by MI law (MCL750.231) However my understanding is that the ATF has been hesitant to sign individual officer requets since the Rose City Police Chief prosecution.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Assuming the proposed SBR/SBS law passes, grandfathered pistols under 30 inches OAL that are then approved on a Form 1 for SBR/SBS configuration, are still pistols and may be carrried concealed by a CPL holder.  Pistols not grandfathered and obtained after the change in the OAL length law, that are then approved on a form 1 for SBR configuration and are less than 26 inches may be carried concealed by a valid CPL holder, but the same post grandfathered pistol 26 inches or more then made on a form 1 as an SBR are not pistols and may not be carried by a valid CLP holder concealed, even though they are required to also be registered under the pistol registration prtocess.  Don't forget that the proposed law requires SBR/SBS to comply with the registration requirments applicable to pistols. The proposed SBR/SBS law does not say SBR/SBS's ARE pistols.  It says that SBR/SBS must comply with the registration process that applies to pistols.  Whether or not an SBR/SBS is a pistol in fact is a function of its OAL and that in turn dictates compliance or non-compliance with CCP criteria.  

Anyone else want to chime in feel free.  That is how I see it on first impression.
View All Quotes

I viewed the law as meaning you must comply with the pistol registration. MI defines a pistol as any firearm shorter than 26" OAL or 30" OAL and registered as such prior to Jan. 1, 2013. I see SB610 requiring SBR owners to comply with pistol registration. I see pistol registration for new firearms only applying when OAL is less than 26". Therefore, I don't see any blanket statement that SBRs must be registered as pistols. I only see a registration requirement if they're less than 26" OAL.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, and it sounds like this would be a good topic for a lawyer to chime in on.

Also, it's 1:30AM, I'm tired, and on my phone. So if this doesn't make sense, say something and I'll get back to it later
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Michman1 is a lawyer.

It looks to me that all SBR/SBS will have to register as pistols under the wording of SB610.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cybersniper:
Police officers are already exempt by MI law (MCL750.231) However my understanding is that the ATF has been hesitant to sign individual officer requets since the Rose City Police Chief prosecution.
View Quote

I understand a couple of the officers got roped up in ithat deal. Rose city used to be TERRIBLE to drive thru, it was just a fleecing point for all the 'flatlanders' coming thru and they'd have a virtual assembly line of speed trap on the main drag thru town trying to catch them speeding on their way up to their cottage, deer camp etc. AFAIK, they still don't have a police force with everyone in jail but the city parks a police cruiser out front on M33 to make it look like there is a presence.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Hopefully it will be scheduled for a floor vote soon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#20]
From Rebekah Warren...

Thank you for contacting me regarding Senate Bill 610, which would repeal the state ban on ownership of short-barreled rifles and shotguns.

While I am a strong proponent of individual rights and liberties, the particular stipulations that Senate Bill 610 seeks to eliminate serve an integral role in protecting the safety of Michigan’s communities and citizens. That being said, I hold deep reservations about the unintended consequences that may occur as a result of such a repeal. Thus, while we may fall on different sides of this issue, please be assured that I will continue to support legislation that promotes the health and safety of all citizens in our great state.

Once again, thank you for your correspondence. If you have any questions or would like further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at (517) 373-2406 or [email protected].

Sincerely,
Rebekah Warren
State Senator
18th District
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:20:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentType] [#21]
Originally Posted By Jmacken37:
From Rebekah Warren...

Thank you for contacting me regarding Senate Bill 610, which would repeal the state ban on ownership of short-barreled rifles and shotguns.

While I am a strong proponent of individual rights and liberties, the particular stipulations that Senate Bill 610 seeks to eliminate serve an integral role in protecting the safety of Michigan’s communities and citizens. That being said, I hold deep reservations about the unintended consequences that may occur as a result of such a repeal. Thus, while we may fall on different sides of this issue, please be assured that I will continue to support legislation that promotes the health and safety of all citizens in our great state.

Once again, thank you for your correspondence. If you have any questions or would like further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at (517) 373-2406 or [email protected].

Sincerely,
Rebekah Warren
State Senator
18th District
View Quote

Sounds like she is ill informed or thinks that you are, because the NFA will still restrict those firearms and possession of SBR and SBS firearms without the NFA tax stamp would be in violation of Federal and State law just as it is in the majority of states. This removes an obstical to law abiding citizens and leaves in place the ability to prosecute criminals just as happens in the majority of states. Any rational and intelligent person could easily see that this balances individual rights with safety of the general public.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#22]
From Rebekah Warren...

Sincerely,
Rebekah Warren
State Senator
18th District
View Quote

Did you really expect anything less from a democrat from Ann Arbor?  I surely didn't that's why I moved out of Ann Arbor years ago.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:03:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentType] [#23]
Her position makes no sense. How would someone who possessed a tax stamp be anymore dangerous than if they did not? Especially with AR pistols.
It is just window dressing for super low information voters or designed to be a PITA for law abiding gun owners who she likely associates with Republicans.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#24]
If your not familiar with Ms. Warren she is married to one of the county commissioners.  The county commission had voted to pass a resolution to the state to repeal the stand your ground law.  So she is not gun friendly.  The county is very liberal especially in Ann Arbor.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#25]
From Rebekah Warren...

Sincerely,
Rebekah Warren
State Senator
18th District
View Quote

No you're not.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I sent an email to my State Senator.

If this passes, my pocketbook is going to take a serious hit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AKM47:
If your not familiar with Ms. Warren she is married to one of the county commissioners.  The county commission had voted to pass a resolution to the state to repeal the stand your ground law.  So she is not gun friendly.  The county is very liberal especially in Ann Arbor.
View Quote

I spent 4 years there to get my college degree. I enjoy day trips there, but I will never live there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#28]
This isn't a law that should split along party lines, but we all know that it will for the most part.

What gets me is that the liberals like her try to sell their position as if it's based on some principled stance.  It's based on nothing more than being partisan and going against those perceived to be Republicans.  Be refreshing to just hear the truth from a politician for once.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#29]
The sad part of it is that some politicians will have their views no matter what you tell them.  Regardless of the fact that MI already allows suppressors and registered machine guns.  The law would simply get us in line with federal law and nothing more.  Very seldom are NFA weapons used in crimes because they are already so highly regulated by the ATF.  Not to mention over 40 other states allow them.  If they were such a problem I doubt that many would.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Very seldom are NFA weapons used in crimes because they are already so highly regulated by the ATF.
View Quote

Never has a legally registered and possessed NFA item been used in a crime.  FTFY

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#31]
My guy is on board.  See below:

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thank you for your email of support for Senate Bill 610. I appreciate your input on this important issue.

As you may know, I am a firm supporter of gun owner rights and the 2nd Amendment. This bill was recently introduced and referred to the Senate Committee on Judiciary. I plan to support this legislation when it comes before me for a vote on the Senate floor. To track this bill, you can visit the Michigan Legislature website at www.legislature.mi.gov and type the bill number in the appropriate box.

Again, thank you for your email. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions or comments you may have.

Sincerely,

Dave Hildenbrand
State Senator
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By H60ADriver:

Never has a legally registered and possessed NFA item been used in a crime.  FTFY

View All Quotes
Very seldom are NFA weapons used in crimes because they are already so highly regulated by the ATF.

Not true. both timse MG's were used to murder people, they were lawfully owned. One was a cop killing a confidential informant, the other I can't rmember-a doctor maybe?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I've never actually seen evidence of an NFA item used in a crime. I've heard the stories and rumors about the Detroit Police Officer, but never seen any evidence of a conviction...not even the officer's name.  

I've never heard about the doctor one. I've heard the story about the HK employee, but again never seen any evidence of that either. It's all a bunch of urban legends until I see something legit.

Point is this, they're not a factor in crime statistics.  I believe only about eight states have a state ban on SBRs.  So 42 other states in this nation allow those who obtain the NFA tax stamp to have an SBR.  Those against this bill have no State they can point to and say "see SBRs and SBSs that are registered under the NFA are a huge problem crime wise in State X."  They simply have no logical argument or legit reason to vote nay other than to be pricks to gun owners and increase their street cred with hardcore left wingers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NextGen] [#34]
Received a reply from my rep as well. He seems to be on board , but he kind of tip toes around the issue and doesn't come out with a straight answer.

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding your support of Senate Bill 610. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

As you may know, Senate Bill 610 was introduced by Senator Mike Green. Currently, If passed, this bill would revise the current prohibition against the manufacture, sale, or possession of short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles. A lawfully made firearm defined as a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle would no longer be included under the prohibition.

This bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. If this bill is passed by the Senate and comes before me in the House, I will be sure to keep the thoughts you have shared in mind. I can assure you that I believe strongly in an individual's second amendment rights and will continue to support legislation that protects those rights.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to serve you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Respectfully,

Joe Graves
State Representative
District 51
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Sent emails.

Thankfully my reps are all republicans
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Received a reply from my rep as well. He seems to be on board , but he kind of tip toes around the issue and doesn't come out with a straight answer.

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding your support of Senate Bill 610. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

As you may know, Senate Bill 610 was introduced by Senator Mike Green. Currently, If passed, this bill would revise the current prohibition against the manufacture, sale, or possession of short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles. A lawfully made firearm defined as a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle would no longer be included under the prohibition.

This bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. If this bill is passed by the Senate and comes before me in the House, I will be sure to keep the thoughts you have shared in mind. I can assure you that I believe strongly in an individual's second amendment rights and will continue to support legislation that protects those rights.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to serve you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Respectfully,

Joe Graves
State Representative
District 51
View Quote

You may want to write him a check or keep having people write AND call his office. Sounds like he's on the fence and waiting to see which way the wind is blowing on this one.

Lobby, lobby, lobby.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I think all of us should write and call and get at least three or four others to , wives , brothers, friends even if their not shooters explain it to them and have them send a quick email . It think even the democrats are aware of the recall in Colorado and are hyper aware of gun rights issues right now is the perfect time !
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By yagermeister:
I think all of us should write and call and get at least three or four others to , wives , brothers, friends even if their not shooters explain it to them and have them send a quick email . It think even the democrats are aware of the recall in Colorado and are hyper aware of gun rights issues right now is the perfect time !
View Quote

Check your distric Sen. and Rep.'s calendars to see if they have any coffee hours or open meetings to discuss issues from the community. My Sen. (Sen. Bieda, D) had one the day before the Sen. Judiciary Committee was scheduled to hear the bill, and he was the only Dem. on the committee. That happened to be Columbus Day and I was off work so I went to see him. I gave him a 30 second overview to get it on his mind before the hearing. I also took that Tues. afternoon off to go to the hearing where they ended up passing it to the Sen. as a whole 4-0 with recommendation for immediate effect. He even mailed me a personally written letter acknowledging he saw me at the hearing and took my advice into account after hearing all of the positive testimony presented at the hearing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Check your distric Sen. and Rep.'s calendars to see if they have any coffee hours or open meetings to discuss issues from the community. My Sen. (Sen. Bieda, D) had one the day before the Sen. Judiciary Committee was scheduled to hear the bill, and he was the only Dem. on the committee. That happened to be Columbus Day and I was off work so I went to see him. I gave him a 30 second overview to get it on his mind before the hearing. I also took that Tues. afternoon off to go to the hearing where they ended up passing it to the Sen. as a whole 4-0 with recommendation for immediate effect. He even mailed me a personally written letter acknowledging he saw me at the hearing and took my advice into account after hearing all of the positive testimony presented at the hearing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By yagermeister:

That's awesome of you and thank you for that! i wish i could get more involved I've only been able to email so far
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#40]
It's just good sound law. Shouldn't be a partisan issue so some Democrats who aren't like ultra-far left should be open to it so definitely approach your reps about it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#41]
I was told today this passed the senate. True or just class 3 dealer hearsay?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Wolverine1856:
View Quote

Looks like hearsay to me.

I searched the calendar, SB610 is still listed on the 10/29 calendar.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By dclark77:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wolverine1856:

Almost positive it's hearsay. It is item 68 on today's Senate calendar. It was item 83 on the first calendar on which it was part of general orders (the 17 Oct. calendar had the report on it from the committee).

I'm not sure if they just go down the list of general orders or how all that works. In any case, a floor summary was posted on 21 Oct. So it's making it's way through.

Could the dealer have been talking about passing the judiciary committee, or have gotten that confused with the whole senate?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Any idea if this was voted on by the senate today?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Nope, on the calendar tomorrow, listed as item # 64.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

So it moved up 4 slots since yesterday. Do they just go down the list, or is there some other method to decide which bills are voted on?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:53:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H60ADriver] [#47]
Got this back from Kzoo

Dear H60ADriver:

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on firearm legislation. I realize the issue of gun rights in the United States and Michigan will continue to be the subject of debates and I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts.

I have always been a supporter of all rights guaranteed in the Constitution, including the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. My votes have consistently reflected that. I supported two bills introduced earlier this term that seek to maintain the rights of gun owners here in Michigan, and I recently supported Senate Bill 610 in committee. It now goes to the full Senate for consideration. SB 610 would bring Michigan in line with other states by allowing law-abiding citizens to own short barrel rifles and shotguns.

Once more, thank you for contacting me. Hearing from individuals like you allows me to better represent the people of my district. I encourage you to share your thoughts with me on any future legislation.

Sincerely,

Tonya Schuitmaker

State Senator

20th District
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Got this back from Kzoo

Dear H60ADriver:

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on firearm legislation. I realize the issue of gun rights in the United States and Michigan will continue to be the subject of debates and I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts.

I have always been a supporter of all rights guaranteed in the Constitution, including the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. My votes have consistently reflected that. I supported two bills introduced earlier this term that seek to maintain the rights of gun owners here in Michigan, and I recently supported Senate Bill 610 in committee. It now goes to the full Senate for consideration. SB 610 would bring Michigan in line with other states by allowing law-abiding citizens to own short barrel rifles and shotguns.

Once more, thank you for contacting me. Hearing from individuals like you allows me to better represent the people of my district. I encourage you to share your thoughts with me on any future legislation.

Sincerely,

Tonya Schuitmaker

State Senator

20th District
View Quote

She's well on her way to being governor IMO.  Glad to see this has a good shot at passing...finally!  Only downside is my wallet is gonna hate me
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#49]
so SB610 is listed at item #60 for 10/31.

There are 16 Senate sessions left for the rest of the calendar year, so if the 4 a day rate continues, will be late Dec before it comes up to a full vote.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#50]
so SB610 is listed at item #60 for 10/31.

There are 16 Senate sessions left for the rest of the calendar year, so if the 4 a day rate continues, will be late Dec before it comes up to a full vote.
View Quote

What happens if it's not voted on before the end of the year? Is it tossed out or do they just start where they left off?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top