Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2015 1:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunner-g]
Headed to DC this summer for a four day stay. Planned on staying in Alexandria and use the King Street Metro Station. Is this a good choice and can someone recommend a hotel? Would there be a better location or area to stay in while there?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Good location.  I live and work near the King St metro station.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I stayed at the Hotel Monaco on King Street.  Got a great discount online.  It's the site of the hotel where Col. Elmer Ellsworth was shot by the innkeeper for taking down the Confederate flag.  The Sons of Confederate Veterans put up a plaque honoring the innkeeper (but it doesn't mention Ellsworth).

Eat at Gadsby Tavern.  Washington ate there.

Visit the Carlisle House.  Gen. Edward Braddock planned his campaign to capture Fort Duquense (modern day Pittsburg) from there.  He ignored the advice of Benjamin Franklin and brushed Ben off with the comment that while the N-D-Ns could fight the militia, upon the King's soldiers they could make no impression.  Braddock was killed and suffered around 60% casualties.  

There's an apothecary there that purportedly Stuart met Lee and told him to make haste to Harper's Ferry with a detachment of marines.  

Patent Office Museum is within walking distance to King Street Station.

BTW, last time I went I stayed at the Travel Lodge (got a great rate for a week long rental).  Two blocks away is a Trader Joe's.  Plenty of parking there at Travel Lodge (good consideration if you have a car).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top