Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2009 10:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TacticalConcepts]
Ok where do I start?

There are 3 classes of firearms: Non-restricted, restricted. prohibited.

Non-restricted: Mostly fudd guns. Also includes some semi-auto military style rifles, like the Swiss Arms Classic Green(civi sig550) and the Tavor. Also includes the M1 Garand and the Valmet M78 and Hunter, semi-auto MG34, semi-auto Ma Deuce and a few others.
Restricted: Any rifle with an overall lenght less than 26in, any semi-auto with a barrel lenght less than 18.5 inches, all handguns with a barrel lenght of 106mm or more, AR15 by name regardless of barrel lenght.
Prohibited:Any AK or variant except M78 and valmet hunter, all HK 9x and 5x series, PSG1, MSG90, most Barret rifles, McMillan Bros TAC-50, all FALs and variants, all full-autos, all converted autos, all handguns with a barrel lenght less than 106mm, handguns in .25 and .32 caliber
There is a long list available on the RCMP's website regarding prohibited firearms. ––-> http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/r&p_e.asp

What this means: Restricted firearms are restricted in 2 ways. 1) It's use is restricted to the range, unless you get a special wilderness carry liscence for a handgun. 2)You have to get a special liscence for it. More on that later.
Prohibiteds are prohibited from possession, unless you were grandfathered, which means you have continuously owned that type of firearms since the law was passed(handguns with barrels less than 106mm long, converted auto, full autos, .25 and .32 caliber pistols). Those are mostly just paper weights since the .gov no longer issues ATT permits for them(more on this later too).

Mag cap: All ammo belts designed prior to 1945 are non restricted in capacity(200rnd belts semi-auto Ma Deuce, MG34  FTW), Clips from Garands are not restricted in capacity(duh or it wouldnt work), all rimfire long gun mags are not limited in capacity, manualy operated centerfire rifles not limited in capacity, semi-auto center fire mags restricted to 5 rounds, pistols(centerfire or rimfire) magazines restricted to 10 rounds. It's important to understand that it's the magazine that is the restricted item, not the firearms. So, if you have a Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine, you can slap a Beretta 92 magazine in it and it's fine, it'll be 10 rounds, as long as the magazine is marked as a pistol magazine. That's how we get 10round AR mags(RRA AR pistols). However, if the same mag is marked Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine, it must be caped at 5 rounds.

Liscences: There is a liscence for each class of firearms (non-res, restricted and prohibited, with sub classes for converted autos, full autos, short barrel handguns...). this liscence must be renewed every 5 years. Passing the regular test for the liscence gives you the priviledge of getting the non-restricted liscence, to buy ammunition and non-restricted guns(some SBS and EBRs, mostly fudd guns). you have to pass an additional test for the restricted class liscence. You cannot get a prohibited liscence unless you have continuously owned that type of firearm since the implementation of the law. Once you pass the test(quiz on canadian gun laws, how to handle a firearm, the 4 safety rules, basic stuff), you must fill a form, with your background info, and send it to the RCMP for approval. You wait 3 months. To have the approval for a restricted class liscence you must also be a member of a registered gun club. Which brings me to ATTs

ATT: AKA Authorisation To Transport. You need this to carry your restricted firearms to the gun club. Each province words their ATTs differently. In the western provinces, it might be good for up to 5 years and for all gun clubs, gunsmiths and border crossings. In Quebec and Ontario for exemple, they are only good for a year and for the specific gun club you are a member of. If you need to go to the gunsmith, you must get a short term ATT. Same for border crossings and shooting events hosted at other gun clubs. You will not get an ATT for prohibited firearms, except for some short barreled pistols which are used in certain shooting competions.

Registration: Right now, all firearms Restrict and Prohibited firearms must be registered with the RCMP. They enter the make, model, caliber, barrel lenght and serial number in a database to your name. This does fuck all for crime obviously. There is a law that has been proposed to get rid of the registration of non-restricted firearms, and which would get rid of the provision for ATTs. This law has not been voted on yet, but it's coming real soon.

Antiques and Relics: Muzzleloaders are not considered firearms and don't have to be registered. Guns using other primitive ignition mechanisms aren't either.
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/antique_e.asp
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/powder_e.asp

Air rifles: Air rifles with a muzzle velocity higher than 500fps and energy of more than 4.2ft-lbs are considered firearms, and they have to be registered.
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/airguns_e.asp

Storage: All restricted and prohibited firearms cannot be stored loaded and must be stored in a specifically designed safe or gun cabinet. Not sure about the non-restricted stuff. There are provisions for showing off your firearms and keeping one by bedside, but I'd rather not comment on it, because I'm unsure of what is what. Here is the link where you can find out, however.
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/storagetransport_e.asp

That is pretty much it, at least it's all I can think of right now.

Edited - the requirement for All firearms to be registered now that the legislation has been changed. Mark
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Can we please tack this and make this a referral thread, so if someone asks what canadian gun laws are like, we can just link to this thread/post instead of explaining the whole thing over and over again?

Please feel free to correct me when I made mistakes or add to the post if I forgot something. If I did, I will update the OP with the correct info.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I might have to revise this soon because the bill to kill the long gun registry is going to the Senate soon!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:20:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nosce_te_ipsum] [#4]
Let's just hope the Senate doesn't decide to play tricks with this one.  But great news for our side indeed!
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Because Ontario is the best province (rolling eyes) I have a correction to your ATT description.

IN Ontario, ATT's can be issued for a period of upto 5 years, though most clubs do 1,2  or 3 years.  You must be a member in good standing at an approved range to be issued an ATT and the ATT application is handled and controlled by the club.  ATT's once issued, allow the permit holder to transport (usually all restricted firearms registered to the address of the holder) to any approved range in Ontario.

A separate ATT is needed to travel to border crossings or military bases (typically for shooting competitions, or hunting in the states).  These are usually issued for a 1 year period or less.

Short term transport permits are available for going to gunsmiths, trade shows, etc, pretty much any place other than a shooting club.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish we'd break away from British influence and adopt a free system similar to the U.S.   Theres no reason we have such restriction on firearms with 1/10th the population of the U.S.  The U.S. has more crime and a much greater variety of peoples that tend to create more legal concerns. Canada should be far more free than the US.  I hate our British roots!  Airguns are firearms if they shoot over 500fps So England
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By eskimole:

I wish we'd break away from British influence and adopt a free system similar to the U.S.   Theres no reason we have such restriction on firearms with 1/10th the population of the U.S.  The U.S. has more crime and a much greater variety of peoples that tend to create more legal concerns. Canada should be far more free than the US.  I hate our British roots!  Airguns are firearms if they shoot over 500fps So England

I think we should be our own country too but due to most of english speaking Canada, I doubt this will ever happen.

Link Posted: 4/23/2012 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Most of us in the UK would also like to see a free system of firearms licensing similar to that in place in parts of the USA. The paranoid restrictions in place here are as a result of political point scoring at election time and, as is the case everywhere else, have no impact whatsoever on crime. Is that a surprise??

Link Posted: 12/25/2012 2:46:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cybershooters] [#9]
Well there is no licensing in most of the US at all.  Or registration.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is that missed from the description of Canadian gun laws is that non-residents can obtain Canadian firearm licences.  This was done mainly to facilitate Americans and non-resident Canadians who live near the border being able to move their guns around with minimal hassle, but there's no particular reason why anyone else can't get one.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm

You have to provide evidence relating to your background from your home country, which for the US means an FBI-CJIS fingerprint check (which your local PD can do).  Also you must pass the Canadian Firearm Safety Course(s), there is a separate course for restricted firearms.  This means you've got to be in Canada to do it (typically gun clubs and some gun shops have some qualified to offer the test), anyone familiar with guns should be able to pass without too much difficulty.

Once you have a licence, you can bring your guns into Canada assuming they're not prohibited.  Restricted firearms have to be registered with the CFC (you can do this over the phone) and you also have to have an ATT to transport them into Canada.  You can also buy firearms and ammunition in Canada, however under US law you can't import them into the US if you reside in the US (interstate transfer), you have to use a licensed importer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 2:52:07 AM EDT
[#10]
To have the approval for a restricted class liscence you must also be a member of a registered gun club.

No you don't, maybe they do that back east but it's a new one by me.  To get a long-term ATT you need to be a member of a gun club but not for the licence.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 5:03:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheCanuck] [#11]
Originally Posted By cybershooters:
To have the approval for a restricted class liscence you must also be a member of a registered gun club.

No you don't, maybe they do that back east but it's a new one by me.  To get a long-term ATT you need to be a member of a gun club but not for the licence.

I should really rework the OP since the repeal of the long gun registry. And thanks for the correction
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Being a member of a club to purchase a restricted firearm and obtain a LTATT is CFO "policy" and not an actual law in Ontario. I talked to someone in New Brunswick who challenged this "policy" in provincial court and won. I also believe someone in Ontario took it to court and won.

At my club we always tell new shooters they must own a restricted in their name before we issue a LTATT.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Actually, the UK's airgun laws are better than Canada's. Air rifles are not considered firearms if they don't exceed 12ft/lbs of muzzle energy, in .22 cal that translates to about 600fps, and about 750fps in .177. Their firearms laws suck arse though. I had to surrender a perfectly good L1A1 rifle after the Hungerford massacre in 1987. As bad as Canada laws are, they are infinitely better than the UK's.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Vulcanator:

Actually, the UK's airgun laws are better than Canada's. Air rifles are not considered firearms if they don't exceed 12ft/lbs of muzzle energy, in .22 cal that translates to about 600fps, and about 750fps in .177. Their firearms laws suck arse though. I had to surrender a perfectly good L1A1 rifle after the Hungerford massacre in 1987. As bad as Canada laws are, they are infinitely better than the UK's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Vulcanator:

Any firearms law "sucks arse"...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
 In regard to border crossing, and   transit THROUGH Canada; Is there  any difficulty, or restriction on my  bringing a repeating shotgun in a passenger  vehicle ?
 Remington 870, Mossberg 590 style.
    Is there a minimum barrel length  for  such a transportable ( Canada Legal ) arm ?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
 I read it,  and followed the links as well.
  clear as mud.
    The official verbiage SEEMS to indicate  I  may be able to legally enter, and travel through  your country with an 18.5" barrel   repeating shotgun, but I would sure like some clarification as to  whether I might expect undue  delays at border, " special Treatment " etc..
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Fullpower:
 I read it,  and followed the links as well.
  clear as mud.
    The official verbiage SEEMS to indicate  I  may be able to legally enter, and travel through  your country with an 18.5" barrel   repeating shotgun, but I would sure like some clarification as to  whether I might expect undue  delays at border, " special Treatment " etc..
View Quote
If you do everything by the book you can still be delayed or get the "Special Treatment" on both sides of the border. It all depends on who's working the booth, the mood they're in, how you present yourself, and what the computer says. This goes for firearm or no firearm. So have the proper paperwork, be honest, relax and DO NOT be a smart ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top