Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2024 7:56:36 PM EDT
After hours of debate and more than two dozen amendments, a bill that would have eliminated property tax for most Wyoming residents and replaced lost revenue with an increase in statewide sales tax has failed.

The House of Representatives voted 14-47 against House Bill 203, "Property tax reduction and replacement act," on third reading Tuesday afternoon. In its initial form, HB 203 would have allowed for a property tax exemption for homeowners of up to $1 million in assessed value, and would have replaced that lost revenue with an additional 2 percentage points of statewide sales tax, increasing it from 4% to 6%.

On Tuesday, the House amended HB 203 to allow for an assessment of one additional percentage point of sales tax for an exemption to property owners for the first $200,000 of fair market value of a single-family residential property before voting it down completely.

Rep. Steve Harshman, R-Casper, who was the main sponsor of HB 203, told the Wyoming Tribune Eagle that he was disappointed the bill failed, since it would have created the "largest tax cut in the state of Wyoming's history."

"But I think that part of the issue is change is hard," Harshman said.

moar
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
As is all too typical, a seemingly well-intentioned bill had a lot of rotten baggage. I'm not sad to see this one go.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 3:16:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lew:
As is all too typical, a seemingly well-intentioned bill had a lot of rotten baggage. I'm not sad to see this one go.
View Quote

What baggage was that in this case ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:
What baggage was that in this case ?
View Quote

Honestly, I forgot, and I don't remember where I read the text.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top