Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2023 12:55:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rmac7748]
Hey all.

We recently moved my mom and 75yo dad to Lenexa (from Virginia) to live with my sister.  He's had a series of strokes and is in pretty bad physical shape.  He uses a walker - takes him 10 minutes to get across the house to the bathroom.  Aside from the walking issue, he's got some pretty serious physical limitations now.  Hunting, fishing, guns are the highlights of his life - the only thing he really ever enjoyed.

Wondering if any of you may have some land, a farm, etc., that you'd let me bring him to deer hunt this fall/winter.  I'd need to drive him close to where he would sit and would sit with him.  Not looking for anything spectacular, just a place to get him near some fields/woods.

Honestly, he's pretty darn depressed about his place in life and I'm trying to find something to cheer him up.  Feel free to reply with ideas or PM me.

Appreciate it.

ETA - Should have said that my dad is very safe with guns.  He has great control with his arms.  He's hunted/fished since he was little.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if helpful but;

On the Missouri side Dept of Conservation  has programs setup for handicap hunting access. Deer and Ducks for sure; maybe others. Might look into that as a backup plan.

If you come visit, the shooting range at Parma Woods (Parkville, MO) is close and accessibility is easy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NEShooter53] [#2]
Would he be able to ride with someone on a 4 wheeler to be able to get to a blind?  If so that might help open up some places that can't be driven to with a truck.

How far is his ethical killing range?
Obviously we all want a big buck; but would he be happy with a doe or smaller buck if that is all that shows up?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NEShooter53:
Would he be able to ride with someone on a 4 wheeler to be able to get to a blind?  If so that might help open up some places that can't be driven to with a truck.

How far is his ethical killing range?
Obviously we all want a big buck; but would he be happy with a doe or smaller buck if that is all that shows up?
View Quote

Yes, I could get him onto a 4-wheeler.  He could not ride one by himself as his legs do not work much at all.  He can stand, but is unable to step w/o his walker.  Ethical killing range - inside of 200.  He has no idea I'm reaching out to folks about this.  While I'd love for him to see some animals (squirrels, turkeys, deer, ducks, etc.) - I'm just wanting to get him out of the house.  He's been stuck in the house for a while and I'm hoping this will give him something to look forward to.  At this point, a yearling doe would be a trophy to him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top