Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2021 11:11:25 AM EDT
I am working on my 50 states and need to confirm VT.  If there is any operator that would be willing to give me the chance, please IM me.  I am an Extra class operator and can work pretty much any band you choose.  Hopefully I can hear you.  

Joe
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure would love to help you out. I just got my technician license but still trying to feel my way around. Perhaps one day I'll make that connection. I'm retired and have some pretty tight budget restrictions but hope to be live soon.
Any other hams AR15.com members?

Scott
KC1RDB
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Scott, I did finally manage to confirm VT.  Congratulations on your tech ticket.  I would recommend that you use HamStudy.org and work towards your General or Extra ticket.  We have a Ham forum here on ARFCOM.  Check it out by clicking HERE

Joe - NU3U
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I'll check it out.
I do intend to get my General ticket but want a little experience first. Hamstudy.org was a great help and recommend the app to anyone studying for their license.
I had a stroke last year so I won't go for the Extra. For me it was a real struggle to get the Technician. Going for the Extra would make my brain explode.😱
Enjoy your day.

Scott
KC1RDB
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#4]
At least get your General Scott.  You’ll appreciate the HF privileges.  Let me know if you need any help with anything.  I realize when you first get started, you’ll have lots of questions when setting up your station.  

@elcope and @mach are really helpful as well.  Any of us are usually willing to help answer questions.

Joe
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GlockfanUT:
At least get your General Scott.  You’ll appreciate the HF privileges.  Let me know if you need any help with anything.  I realize when you first get started, you’ll have lots of questions when setting up your station.  

@elcope and @mach are really helpful as well.  Any of us are usually willing to help answer questions.

Joe
View Quote

Yes there is lots of help available.

The ham forum in the survival forum is the best ham forum on the internet.

The is a lot of overlap between the tech test and the general test.

Just read the questions and only the correct answer a few times. Then all you have to do is look at the question and answers on the test and recognize the answer that seems familiar. Nobody actually learns that stuff until you get hands on. General is 35 multiple guess just like tech.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Ham-Radios/22/
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I really appreciate it. It will be a while before I set up a station. Pretty cost prohibitive for me at this time.
I think I will study for the general test. I had a stroke last year and since guitar playing and competition shooting went out the window, I had to find a new hobby.
With the stroke brain I found it a real challenge to do the technician exam. Even still I did it but it's going to take a bit more to do the general.
I did buy a hand held but haven't programmed it yet. I might need a little help with that.
Thanks for the links and assistance. You guys are great 👍
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Just bought a BAOFENG UV-9G GMRS Radio Waterproof IP67, Outdoors Two Way Radios Long Range Rechargeable, Handheld Dual Band NOAA Scanner, GMRS Repeater Capable, Pro.  Seems like a nice piece of kit, and while I initially wanted it to play with, I know NOTHING about HAM.  Mostly just for listening and NOAA initially.  I can tell I'm going to need help (thanks for the forum link) just to get started listening.  Is there a "Just to get started" guide you guys would recommend?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 4:20:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D6T] [#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top