Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2019 12:11:25 PM EDT
Florida is my home. Born here and even though part of me wants to live it. I love it here. Florida is about variety, culture, food, activity, history, etc....

So let's start posting about what makes Florida special to us.

For me it comes down to the secret history. We have such a interesting history that many don't know about. A lot of connection to major events in the world and it is all swept under the rug. But a true lover of the Sunshine State knows about it and relishes to learn more.

Everyone sees us as a backwater states yet we're more of the quite type with a lot of pull. Our economic and political pull is extremely powerful and the fact that we don't boast about it like the other big three shows how quite we really are.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
So, you're saying we're like the San Antonio Spurs of States
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
We have cool guys like Black Fox hosting ARFCOM outings.  My family thought that was pretty great.

Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Right there with ya. Born here as well. So many things have changed over the years but stayed the same in some ways. I hated this sleepy little town with nothing to do. But everywhere i went it never felt like it could be home. Now im older i kinda like it and couldnt see myself anywhere else. Unless i was filthy rich and could just travel or have multiple places with home base here. There is a lot to explore and do if one really looks and lots of variety. Something about that ocean that keeps me grounded.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SHONUFF:
We have cool guys like Black Fox hosting ARFCOM outings.  My family thought that was pretty great.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/190943/C3F212A2-F2F4-4F41-A563-68EFE68818A0-982984.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/190943/3155992E-1F76-4276-AE98-7ADDD97722DD-982983.jpg
View Quote
I gotta get in on that!
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
I gotta get in on that!
View Quote
Yeah that looks like fun!
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly haven't been here for more then a handful of years unlike many here, but the biggest thing that i have enjoyed coming from the liberal hell in CT is the people here. The real people from the real sections of Florida, not the vacation lands. The thank you's, the have a blessed day, even the simple things like holding the door. It's still something that happens here. You can always tell the part timer folks because they ooze the asshole attitude from where they come from.

Short story, i was just back in CT for my wife's annual dance recital and stopped at the local pizza joint we used to go to. Got some take out and the place was empty. Talking to the owner he was complaining that he's only a couple years away from moving, his biggest complaint or concern for society up there, nobody ever talks to him anymore. They come in, pay for the food and leave. He said people are so miserable there.
The society has become something that no matter your wealth or class you always look down upon the working class if your paying them. Very sad how everyone up there this that they are better then everyone else. Sadly the kids are learning the behavior too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:36:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SanchoPanza] [#7]
1. Gulf of Mexico & Beaches.

2. Refrigerated Air; which is both a blessing & a curse.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By stacks04:
Honestly haven't been here for more then a handful of years unlike many here, but the biggest thing that i have enjoyed coming from the liberal hell in CT is the people here. The real people from the real sections of Florida, not the vacation lands. The thank you's, the have a blessed day, even the simple things like holding the door. It's still something that happens here. You can always tell the part timer folks because they ooze the asshole attitude from where they come from.

Short story, i was just back in CT for my wife's annual dance recital and stopped at the local pizza joint we used to go to. Got some take out and the place was empty. Talking to the owner he was complaining that he's only a couple years away from moving, his biggest complaint or concern for society up there, nobody ever talks to him anymore. They come in, pay for the food and leave. He said people are so miserable there.
The society has become something that no matter your wealth or class you always look down upon the working class if your paying them. Very sad how everyone up there this that they are better then everyone else. Sadly the kids are learning the behavior too.
View Quote
The Hudson Valley is the same way.. pretty sad
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:37:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PR361] [#9]
Born and raised second generation Floridian, I love Florida and will never leave.  I love the stillness of the deep swamps, the endless fishing, the subtle variety of the terrain, the history. Springs, rivers, oceans, I love the outdoors here.

Viva La Florida!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I was in CT for a trip during the late spring, the gray skies and blight were not a pretty sight. Local brew pub packed at 3, decided it wasn't a good place for an outsider to go for a drink.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Although not a native, I've spent the last 30 of my 49 years on this earth here and it's home.

I think what makes it great is the history. Having worked for a time with the State's underwater archaeology program, Florida is a fantastic repository of historical artifacts that trace all the way back to the first landing in Pensacola Bay in 1559.

Along with that:

Want to see where Geronimo was held prisoner in 1886-87? Come to Fort Pickens.
Want to see arguably the best display of Naval Aviation history? Go to the Naval Air Museum on Pensacola N.A.S.

There is so much more.

As crazy as this state can make us (and make us out to be), it's home.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:02:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sakura] [#12]
Coming from elsewhere nothing beats the sunshine and weather.

Cost of living is still reasonable though it appears to be going up quite a bit in urban and in my neighborhood.

2A stuff seemed strong from afar but I've learned that is changing and threatened thanks to some posts from miami_jbt and others.

I do enjoy the fact this place has seen what amounts to several different stewards in the last 500 years between indians, spanish, english, and now us. It's a bit of a Mish mash of all that between the place names and history.

Finally I love the countless birds especially wading and raptor species I see every day. The little geckos and anoles are also fun to watch. It's depressing to be in parts of the country and outside where you see so little wildlife.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The fishing and the springs/cave diving seal the deal for me... I doubt I'll ever leave.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 10:20:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4] [#14]
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 8:44:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: America-first] [#15]
Florida is God's Country.

Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:24:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GETBACKINTHEKITCHEN] [#16]
Weather
Fishing
Diving
Fishing from the beach.
Good people (North Florida only)
Rednecks who won't comply with what's coming.  
Laid-back, slow pace of life (North Florida only)
Manners (North Florida only)
Boats

Hmmm.  There seems to be a theme here
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RINO_Hunter:
Weather
Fishing
Diving
Fishing from the beach.
Boats

View Quote
Hey there are some of the finest folks here in South Florida.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#18]
the best thing about Florida is that for at least a couple of hours a day Marion Hammer is sleeping and can't harm us.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By America-first:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By America-first:
Weather
Fishing
Diving
Fishing from the beach.
Boats

Thanks for mentioning me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#20]
My reason would belong in BotD
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Florida was a true paradise until A/C allowed millions of yankees to move south.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Because December...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Woot! Know one can do this in many places, but it's warm, close and fun!

Link Posted: 7/11/2019 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#24]
After spending more than 23 years in NY, moving to FL was a much needed change! It took me a couple of weeks to get used to saying "hi" to strangers, it's just not something you do in NY! Love the springs, we spent the day at Silver Glenn yesterday and had a great time, we took my sister and her family who were visiting from NY and plan to move to FL as well in the next couple of years. Also love the freedoms we still enjoy here. I like cars and guns, two hobbies that were tough to enjoy in NY. Guns because of all the gun control laws they have and cars because of the yearly "safety inspections" and not having a track to race. I've always been into American muscle cars, mostly Mustangs and Mopars, which would not pass the yearly inspection once you start messing with the exhaust system.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 6:25:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redfish911] [#25]
I'm a 5th generation Floridian. GGG grandfather came here all the way from GA in 1836 and settled around Alligator. It was an Indian village where Lake City is now. He was a LT with the 2nd Florida Volunteers in the 2nd Indian Wars. He Fathered 17 children with 4 wives. Some sons after fighting in the 2nd and 3rd Indian Wars went on to fight with the Confederacy and one mustered out July 2nd 1863. I hate what has become of the Florida I grew up in but would have a hard time living anywhere else.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Redfish911:
I'm a 5th generation Floridian. GGG grandfather came here all the way from GA in 1836 and settled around Alligator. It was an Indian village where Lake City is now. He was a LT with the 2nd Florida Volunteers in the 2nd Indian Wars. He Fathered 17 children with 4 wives. Some sons after fighting in the 2nd and 3rd Indian Wars went on to fight with the Confederacy and one mustered out July 2nd 1863. I hate what has become of the Florida I grew up in but would have a hard time living anywhere else.
View Quote
Hey Cracka!

My Mama was born in a shack on the Appalachicola.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
Woot! Know one can do this in many places, but it's warm, close and fun!

http://i.imgur.com/cdohhRi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gWb9U6g.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5ATr52z.jpg
View Quote
Venice?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I spend my lunch breaks on the other side of that pelican picture. The Jetty is where I take my “me time”.

Been here 3 years to the day. Love every minute of it. Beaches, flora, fauna. So peaceful, sunny, warm.

Pic if it doesn’t load properly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Yup! Yeah, nice scenery out there, always see the dolphins and manatees. North Jetty
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#30]
One more from today, these two were having fun and stayed all morning.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 6:39:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PR361] [#32]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#33]
born in key west, live on the SE coast now.

Let's see....

roseate spoonbills flying from their nightime roost in the early morning
the explosion of a snook (or bass) on a surface lure
Bok Tower Gardens
Looe Key reef
New York plates clogging I95 north after Easter!
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 3:50:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Weather
Fishing
Diving
Fishing from the beach.
Boats

View Quote
Too bad that other than the people/culture, South Florida is better overall.

I bet it was great 50 years ago. There are still good pockets at least, like Jupiter, Stuart, and Naples.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HKUSP9v1:

Too bad that other than the people/culture, South Florida is better overall.

I bet it was great 50 years ago. There are still good pockets at least, like Jupiter, Stuart, and Naples.
View Quote
The Miami that I grew up in sure as hell isn't the Miami that my dad grew up in and that Miami is still a world away from the Miami my Grandmother grew up in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top