Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2018 10:29:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pins]

Test Gun: Sig P229, Beretta Nano.
Barrel length: 3.9, 3 inches.
Ammunition: Winchester 147gr Silvertip JHP
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 947, 914 fps
Gel Temperature 71 degrees.

I sure most people here are familiar with the Winchester Silvertip.  I've had this box for a while now and found it the other day and decided to give it a try. Out of the Sig, I got an average velocity of 947fps with a high of 972 and a low of 937fps.  Out of the Beretta Nano, I got an average velocity of 914fps with a high of 924fps and a low of 894fps.

Out of the Sig P229, the first round into the bare gel penetrated 17.5 inches and expanded to .56 inches. No velocity reading but the recovered weight was 149.4 grains. The second hit the block at 968fps and penetrated to 17 inches. It also expanded to .56 inches and had a recovered weight of 149.8 grains. Both bullets were recovered base forward even though there was no sign of tumbling.

When shot through clothing covered gel, the first round had a velocity of 930fps and penetrated to 19 inches. The recovered diameter was .44 inches and weighed 149.6 grains. Round two hit at a velocity of 936fps, penetrated to 19.5 inches with no expansion. It did show some deformation of the nose and the recovered weight was 149.5 grains. Both bullets stopped nose forward but the gel showed tumbling midway through the first block.

Out of the Beretta Nano, the first round penetrated to 18 inches with a recovered diameter of .55 inches and a weight of 149.6 grains. No velocity was recorded. Round two had a velocity of 888fps and penetrated to 18 inches also. It expanded to .53 inches and weighted 149.7 grains.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/

in Clear Ballistics Gel
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
nice work!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for posting. Results were OK. Old tech so no surprises.

I have a stash of a few hundred 115 Silvertips. Have you done those yet OP? I suspect they will be mediocre also.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Thank you for posting. Results were OK. Old tech so no surprises.

I have a stash of a few hundred 115 Silvertips. Have you done those yet OP? I suspect they will be mediocre also.
View Quote
Yes, I tested the 115gr early on when I started testing. It was a much more limited test then I do now.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/blog/winchester-9mm-115gr-silvertip-in-clear-ballistics-gel
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:36:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#4]
OK, thanks. I just looked at your 115 test. I think it did good enough to stay in my "3rd tier" ammo stash. Considering the hysteria after the '86 Miami shootout, you'd think it only penetrated 2". I am 100% confident that had the FBI used the best of todays modern loads (HST) back in '86, the result would have been the same!

I don't know why it's so stupid expensive. I would certainly never buy any 9mm Silvertips unless they were under $15 per box (The only Silvertips I ever bought are 10MM 175gr).
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
With all the recovered weights being so high, have you pulled a unfired bullet to weight it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UrbancommandoX:
With all the recovered weights being so high, have you pulled a unfired bullet to weight it?
View Quote
Not yet I keep forgetting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top