Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2017 6:06:07 PM EDT
Thinking about switching my carry from a CW9 to a CT9.

Why have I only seen model spoken of like 2 times in my life?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a TP-9, love it.  Buds had them cheap last year, I should have bought another one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a big Kahr fan and have been for a long time. Currently carrying either a CM 9 or CW 45. Or sometimes it is a Charter Arms Tiger Stripe 5 shot loaded with Multi-ball loads. I like the CT as well, it is just a bigger gun. In certain cases it is a good fit for what I am wearing at the time. Doesn't matter what anyone but you likes or wants to carry. Long as it is not a...........GLUCK
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taymag] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
I am a big Kahr fan and have been for a long time. Currently carrying either a CM 9 or CW 45. Or sometimes it is a Charter Arms Tiger Stripe 5 shot loaded with Multi-ball loads. I like the CT as well, it is just a bigger gun. In certain cases it is a good fit for what I am wearing at the time. Doesn't matter what anyone but you likes or wants to carry. Long as it is not a...........GLUCK
View Quote

Haha I shoot Glock 19 or 17 in USPSA but for some reason don't feel comfortable at alllll carrying one, and I am not carrying any of their pea shooters so Glock is out of the question for carry

I currently carry the CW9 but want something with a little more handle. I love the feel, I don't see why they aren't more popular, its weird, I NEVER hear much about Kahr
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not even sure what a CT9 looks like but I bet I'd like it
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:37:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Landric] [#5]
I bought a TP9 last year for something like $340 OTD.  That was a no-brainer since at the time the same place (Bud's) had the CT9 for about $10 less.  I'll happily pay $10 for two extra magazines, a case instead of a box, and the "better" parts.  

Then I started teaching my sister to shoot.  She liked the TP9 the best out of all my various guns she tried and ended up "stealing" it from me (OK, I gave it to her).  That left me short a Kahr and of course I couldn't find another TP9 for anything like $340.  Luckily the CT9 was down to $310ish, so I picked one of those up instead.  As soon as I manage to acquire a good carry holster for the pistol I expect to start carrying it.  I really like the "full-size" Kahr guns, slim, light, but easier to grip and shoot well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Put my break-in rounds through mine yesterday.  No hiccups.  Great trigger, but, my fingers are so long and the grip is so slim that I end up using more of the first joint rather than the pad of my index finger.  Carried it to dinner last night in a custom kydex pancake and it was
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a CT 9 a few weeks ago. I went to a gun show looking for a slim, semi-compact, 9mm/.380 with a full length grip. I also had a budget of $450-500. I looked at Bersas, SW, Glock.....and a few others that I cannot recall. As soon as I put my hand around the CT9, I knew it was 'the one'. I liked how it felt in my hand and I liked the sights. Being a longtime revolver shooter, I also appreciated the long, smooth trigger. It checked ALL the boxes for me. Price wasn't great as many others have managed to pay less ($350 out the door), and it only came with one magazine. But even after purchasing a spare mag, I was still well below my budget. I've fired about 250 rounds so far. I had one misfeed on my first magazine.......which was discouraging. However, I haven't had another malfunction since. The gun is plenty accurate and the quality seems as good as any. I'm a satisfied customer.

Why does it not get more love? Many folks are probably turned off by the 8+1 capacity. Given the size of the gun, most people would probably take a slightly wider gun in exchange for greater capacity. Or if they were OK with 8+1, they would probably opt for a sub-compact "kids size" gun.
I (we) probably fit into a small niche where I didn't want a sub compact gun that my hand doesn't fit on, I HAD to have a slim profile, and I'm OK with limited capacity.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My one complaint about Kahr pistols is the magazine. They are really the weak link and I am very surprised after more than 20 years on the market they haven't been improved. They are extremely hard to load to full capacity, have very sharp feed lips, and tend to bleed rounds in pockets. Seriously Kahr, just copy the XDS magazines and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is a size comparison video I made comparing the CT9 to a Bulgarian Makarov
CT9 vs Bulgy Mak
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Landric:
My one complaint about Kahr pistols is the magazine. They are really the weak link and I am very surprised after more than 20 years on the market they haven't been improved. They are extremely hard to load to full capacity, have very sharp feed lips, and tend to bleed rounds in pockets. Seriously Kahr, just copy the XDS magazines and be done with it.
View Quote

I agree. The magazines are indeed hard to load. And the fact that the C model Kahrs only come with one magazine definitely chips away at their value. I still like my CT9 overall though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:32:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MJC718] [#11]
I was watching the Avidity Arms promo stuff at Shot Show and they talked about it being a 'single stack Glock 19 like pistol', something that was missing in the market. I was like "What about the CT9!?"

I have a CW9 with Lakeline +1 adapters and Lakeline followers on them so I have yet to get a CT9. But I can definitely see the niche for it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#12]
OK- so a short update now that I've had my CT 9 for about 6 months.
I've now fired ~600 rounds with zero malfunctions. As mentioned earlier, I had a FTF on the first magazine I ever ran through the gun......but zero issues since. I'll chalk that up to a fluke or minor break-in issue.
And the magazines seem to improve with time as well. At first they can be very difficult to fill to capacity. However, seems to be much easier now.
I really didn't think a $350 gun could be trusted as an EDC. But I can't really find any reason that the Kahr would let me down if I ever needed to trust my life to it. Its reliable, accurate, and comfortable to carry.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#13]
A ct9 is on my list but it's a low priority. But my cw9 is my edc.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
A ct9 is on my list but it's a low priority. But my cw9 is my edc.
View Quote
They are such a nice gun
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
The CT9 isn't popular because it's a single stack, full size, low capacity 9mm. Most people want a full size double stack, or a compact single stack.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Guns like the CT9 are popular with folks that CC IWB, but don't want to carry a pocket gun. Its a niche......but most guns are a niche when you think about it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By poisson:
The CT9 isn't popular because it's a single stack, full size, low capacity 9mm. Most people want a full size double stack, or a compact single stack.
View Quote
Mmmmm, I'm gonna hafta go ahead and disagree with you on that one.  It has nearly the same silhouette as a G19, but is .95 inches thick.  Super slim and has 9 rounds on tap.  Think of it as a commander sized 1911 in 9mm that weighs less than half as much.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dwcopple:

Mmmmm, I'm gonna hafta go ahead and disagree with you on that one.  It has nearly the same silhouette as a G19, but is .95 inches thick.  Super slim and has 9 rounds on tap.  Think of it as a commander sized 1911 in 9mm that weighs less than half as much.
View Quote
I had a CW9 a few years ago and it was similar in size to the Glock 19, but after looking at the numbers, it's slightly smaller. The CT9 is slightly larger.

Still, I don't think there is much demand for a single stack DAO 9mm polymer pistol that's Glock 19 sized.

On another note, I really miss my CW9 and might snag another one soon.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#19]

I had a CW9 a few years ago and it was similar in size to the Glock 19, but after looking at the numbers, it's slightly smaller. The CT9 is slightly larger.

Still, I don't think there is much demand for a single stack DAO 9mm polymer pistol that's Glock 19 sized.

View Quote
Go hang out in the Glock section for a while and see what people wish the G43 would've been.  You might be surprised.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#20]
The CW9 is a fine shooting and carrying pistol. It's too big for the pocket and too small for belt carry IMHO
The CT 40 I have is fine for belt carry, while the PM9 excels at pocket carry

When a CT9shows up at a super price, I'll own one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bucket-Back:

When a CT9shows up at a super price, I'll own one.
View Quote
$250 CT9 here LOOK!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]

$250 CT9 here LOOK!!!
View Quote
Darn, I saving to feed the 1911 issue I developed
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I carry a P-9 quite often and in my mind, the "T" sized Kahrs just cross the threshold into being too big for what they are (as a carry gun).

Once you hit that point in the grip length (where the majority of printing is going to come from) I'd just as soon carry a compact double stack.
I do however carry the T series magazines with a spacer as reloads.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Just bought 1 today on Buds. 302. shipped.
Couple places had them in the mid 270's but charged 15-20 for shipping. Never had an issue with buds.

I am having a hard time finding mags for it. Best I saw was grabagun at 33.
Anyone see them cheaper?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mike56:
Just bought 1 today on Buds. 302. shipped.
Couple places had them in the mid 270's but charged 15-20 for shipping. Never had an issue with buds.

I am having a hard time finding mags for it. Best I saw was grabagun at 33.
Anyone see them cheaper?
View Quote
Wait patiently for ebay
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I paid $225 transferred for my CT40, I'm waiting for that price on the CT9
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I almost bought a few CT 9s when they were $250. No spare mag is a turn off, I figured I would be better off buying a few Shields for a few bucks more that are easier to acquire holsters for.

I had a K40 Elite, which I love, but it wasn’t filling a hole in my carry battery, so I gave it to my grandfather who only had service size pistols.

I had replaced the K40 with a CW9. Accurate enough for what it was, but the magazines just felt so crappy. For $35 a piece, they should have been a decent quality mag. Compared to a S&W shield or a Glock 43, it just felt 2nd class. It wasn’t Taurus or Diamond Back, but it just didn’t feel near as well thought out.
I sold it to a friend who needed a carry piece on a budget, made him a hell of a deal as I knew he would appreciate it.

If Kahr came out with a TP9 with a 6-8ish lb trigger and better mags, i’d be on that train!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Just traded for my 2nd one today. Traded a Bersa Thunder 380 I paid $200 for.  Guy bought all my .380 ammo too.  Good riddance to that caliber.  Ordered an IWB holster tonight and am looking for a deal on spare mags now.  Love this gun.  Was dumb to sell off my 1st one...
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:33:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shwa] [#29]
I really want a ST9 suppressed for some unrealistic reason. Seems like it would make a nice host. I love the Kahrs feel in my hands. Lots of people dislike them because of the trigger and the break-in period. I kind of have to agree on the break in period - should not need it. My CM9 goes just about every where with me and has about 1200 rounds through it. The only problems I ever had were with some used 8rd magazines I bought. Changed the springs and never had an issue again.

Regarding the magazines pooping out rounds - I replaced the springs with Wolff xtra power springs in my 8rd mags and haven't had an issue since. Kahr really does need to address these issues. I had a 6rd in my pocket and at the end of the day I pulled it out to find only 2 rounds left in the mag.
Keeping them in a mag pouch has solved the problem on my 6rd mags that I did not replace the springs on.

Ive been holding off for Gen 2, which were supposed to be released in 2015. Dont know what Kahr is doing but wish they would get it together and start offering a little more options.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By shwa:
Lots of people dislike them because of the trigger and the break-in period.
View Quote
Lots of people think they are better shooters than they are too.  For a defensive gun, which the Kahr is designed as, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer trigger.  These tacti-nerds won't be shooting "off the reset" if they ever pull their gun in a true defensive situation.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DCopp:
Lots of people think they are better shooters than they are too.  For a defensive gun, which the Kahr is designed as, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer trigger.  These tacti-nerds won't be shooting "off the reset" if they ever pull their gun in a true defensive situation.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Lots of people dislike them because of the trigger and the break-in period.
I agree. I used to shoot of the reset until I took some training. Now as soon as the trigger breaks Im off the trigger and back on prepping again. I do wish, however, that the length of pull was a little longer. It breaks far back and on the cm9 at least its very close to the point where I have to shift my grip to continue the pull and break. Dont know that I would want it to break sooner, I like having a long pull on a defensive firearm, just wish there was a little more material in the web of my hand to increase length of pull. The smoothness is unmatched. If they came out with a double stack with a rail and maybe some grip straps I would be all over it! Though not their niche'.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#32]

I agree. I used to shoot of the reset until I took some training. Now as soon as the trigger breaks Im off the trigger and back on prepping again. I do wish, however, that the length of pull was a little longer. It breaks far back and on the cm9 at least its very close to the point where I have to shift my grip to continue the pull and break. Dont know that I would want it to break sooner, I like having a long pull on a defensive firearm, just wish there was a little more material in the web of my hand to increase length of pull. The smoothness is unmatched. If they came out with a double stack with a rail and maybe some grip straps I would be all over it! Though not their niche'.
View Quote
Couldn't agree more.  I have long fingers and drastically over reach on the trigger too.  It needs more grip width front to back for sure.  Thought about buying the hogue beavertail grip for the shield and trying it on a kahr
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
That depends entirely on how much those “tacti-nerds” actually train as compared to their post count. If they practice shooting to reset all the time they will very likely revert to the practice if forced to shoot “for real.”

I’ve been lucky enough to never have been forced to shoot another person but I have on several different occasions had to shoot dogs that were attacking me. I shot to reset every time. Primarily that was due to the vast majority of my recreational/practice shooting being done in IDPA and similar matches.

The Kahr trigger is an excellent self-defense trigger. It does have a longer reset than most striker fired guns. I can see someone who has a lot of time on a Glock short stroking a Kahr. The solution to that is simple, practice with one’s carry gun.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#34]
The solution to that is simple, practice with one’s carry gun.
View Quote
Bingo was his name-o
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRDFUDD] [#35]
I know the thread has some age on it....... but didn't see the need to start another , just so I could have a " look what I got".

I finger fiddled with the Glock G43, G43X, and G48 at local shops. My impression was they were nice, with my interest pulled to the G48.
But I prefer .40 over 9mm.

Anyway, I picked up a CT 40 a couple weeks ago. When all said and done, $195 OTD for a NIB CT40.

I took it out today for break in. .......
first issue, with first round. It didn't want to feed. After that, it ate them just as fast as I could pull the trigger.
Trigger was surprisingly not bad, as I expected from online reviews.  It is as some described, a double action revolver trigger.

my opinion??? I like the CT40, and for warm weather.... I believe I will be carrying it more than some of the competitors guns I have.  (Glocks,Sigs,S&W, etc....)

I like this gun so much, I am now considering a PM9 and PM45.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Quoting an old reply, but s&w sold the 3953/3954 to departments and individuals for many years.

Of course they were thicker, heavier and more expensive
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#37]
They never sold well and now that the Glock 48 is the same size with two more rounds, I'd imagine they'll really struggle.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
They never sold well and now that the Glock 48 is the same size with two more rounds, I'd imagine they'll really struggle.
View Quote

From what I've read, the Glock is over ¾" longer and ⅕" thicker (0.90 vs 1.10).  Kahr shooters were typically looking for something different than a Glock anyway.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top