BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 67
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

Because who doesn't want to spend 3 hours hearing someone tell you what you could read in 20 minutes?
View Quote
Listen to it or don't.

Why even bother going to 8 hour classes when you can read how to shoot on AR15.com?
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a time stamp for those of you who want instant gratification...

https://youtu.be/JxtfsNeiOwI?t=1743
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DAVE_M:

Listen to it or don't.

Why even bother going to 8 hour classes when you can read how to shoot on AR15.com?
View Quote
Classes are interactive and not the same as listening to someone ramble for hours in search of a point.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I love getting data and what not from podcasts, white papers, research, etc. But bottom line, instead of rambling along on the internet, people should really go out and prove items to themselves if they care enough about something. Do your own research. Likely your experiences will fall inline with the aforementioned sources.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:33:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#9]

dropped 40 times too. Still trucking

same zero the whole time
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 9:44:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GunsAndGoats] [#10]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

The easy answer:
RMR or Holosun 507/508 is you’re on a budget.

Send it to Primary Machine.
View Quote
This is what I did. I could have spent the money on the RMR but honestly like the Holosun 507c quite a bit. Primary Machine did a great job doing the cut for sure. I love the set up. Not sure if it's just the grip, the grip angle, or what. But a red dot on my M&P does seem to track flatter at speed than my Glock set up did.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Made this for another thread ... sticking it here too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:22:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John_Wayne777] [#13]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Speed is the same up close if you get everything just right on the draw.

If you don't, you don't see the dot.

I've been working with the slide-mounted RDS heavily in the last year. There are definitely benefits, but they result from having essentially an electronic coach on top of the pistol.

To quote Ashton Ray of 360 Performance Shooting, the sights whisper to you. The dot screams at you.

The dot highlights inconsistencies in your presentation. The dot teaches you to stop over-confirming your sights. The dot frees up a little bit of brain power so it can work on the trigger rather than worrying over the movement of your sights. The dot teaches you about wobble zone. The dot isn't doing anything for you besides making some things easily visible that you have been missing before.

To show you what I mean, do something like shoot a group at 25 yards under time pressure with the dot on. Then do the exact same drill with the dot turned off using your irons. You probably will not find a dramatic difference in performance assuming you can see your sights properly. (Dots are the king for people with eyesight problems)

The problem with the dot is that it's virtues are most clearly evident at the things we do least with a defensive pistol. The typical defensive use of a pistol happens at 7 yards and in where even with a lot of practice I'm still a bit faster with irons than a dot. We likely are not standing stock still in a real defensive situation and don't have the luxury of a perfect presentation due to movement, responding to a threat, etc. So the dot is actually a little harder to usefully pick up in the close range threat that is the most likely problem you are solving with a pistol.

Most people suck at shooting past 10 yards and find that they are able to shoot better groups at 25 using the dot. Therefore because it helps them do something they sucked at before they think it's awesome...but that's not really the metric. Yes, we should be concerned with our ability to hit what we want to hit beyond 7-10 yards, but we also need to keep what we're doing in mind.

For people who can't see the sights, the dot is the best thing you are going to get.

For people who can see the sights, the dot is going to show the most benefit in situations that are least likely to happen in self defense. You can certainly train with the dot to reduce the gap between the dot and iron sights, but it takes a while and relies on some things that may not be there in the real deal.

It's not a universal good unless your eyesight stops you from seeing the sights.

Frankly it's a little more useful as a training aid, in my opinion, than as a sight. Having that coach on top of your slide is beneficial to eliminating wasted, inefficient movement in your draw and presentation to the target. It's useful for helping you learn what "good enough" looks like with iron sights. etc.

I've been working with the RDS in the last year precisely because it's becoming a thing and I've been trying to work out what it's really about and I'm at take it or leave it. I've shot my Gen5 G17 MOS pistol very well, but I've also experienced battery death and the inability to see the dot because the brightness setting was wrong and shot every bit as well with the backup irons on the gun despite the fact that the lower 1/3 co-witness of the iron sights is a shitty sight picture.

The key really is all about trigger control.
View Quote
As someone that’s been competing heavily with MRDS for a little over a year now, I completely disagree with some of your opinions regarding their limitations within 10 to 25 yards.

So would most other high level CO shooters.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:38:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John_Wayne777] [#17]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#18]

I said the benefits of the dot are most evident beyond 10 yards. Their deficiencies are most evident at 7 yards and in.

People who regularly compete are continually training themselves with the equipment...which is something that typical defensive users are most certainly not doing. A guy who spends a lot of time working dryfire and competing in the carry optics division of USPSA or IDPA is going to have lots of reps and will figure a lot of shit out that would be very useful should they need to use their dot equipped pistol in a real defensive situation.

That is not a description of your typical police officer. Which is the problem with this growing sentiment I'm seeing that dots are magic. They aren't, certainly not in all situations (including low light in concert with the use of bright lights) especially if you aren't putting in the work necessary to really become proficient. If you are putting in that kind of work you'll be proficient with whatever is on top of your gun.

With that kind of work you'll be able to minimize the deficiencies up close.
View Quote
You don’t have to be a M or GM to fully realize the benefits if a MRDS.

All it takes is some dryfire and actual work to build proficiency.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Replace "dot" with sights. If you screw up your draw, your sights are going to be misaligned. Many detractors of pistol RDS will use a bad presentation as a reason not to get a RDS, when in reality, a pistol RDS will actually HELP you fix your presentation.

I've been working with the slide-mounted RDS heavily in the last year. There are definitely benefits, but they result from having essentially an electronic coach on top of the pistol.

To quote Ashton Ray of 360 Performance Shooting, the sights whisper to you. The dot screams at you.

The dot highlights inconsistencies in your presentation. The dot teaches you to stop over-confirming your sights. The dot frees up a little bit of brain power so it can work on the trigger rather than worrying over the movement of your sights. The dot teaches you about wobble zone. The dot isn't doing anything for you besides making some things easily visible that you have been missing before.

To show you what I mean, do something like shoot a group at 25 yards under time pressure with the dot on. Then do the exact same drill with the dot turned off using your irons. You probably will not find a dramatic difference in performance assuming you can see your sights properly. (Dots are the king for people with eyesight problems)

The problem with the dot is that it's virtues are most clearly evident at the things we do least with a defensive pistol. The typical defensive use of a pistol happens at 7 yards and in where even with a lot of practice I'm still a bit faster with irons than a dot. We likely are not standing stock still in a real defensive situation and don't have the luxury of a perfect presentation due to movement, responding to a threat, etc. So the dot is actually a little harder to usefully pick up in the close range threat that is the most likely problem you are solving with a pistol.

Most people suck at shooting past 10 yards and find that they are able to shoot better groups at 25 using the dot. Therefore because it helps them do something they sucked at before they think it's awesome...but that's not really the metric. Yes, we should be concerned with our ability to hit what we want to hit beyond 7-10 yards, but we also need to keep what we're doing in mind.

For people who can't see the sights, the dot is the best thing you are going to get.

For people who can see the sights, the dot is going to show the most benefit in situations that are least likely to happen in self defense. You can certainly train with the dot to reduce the gap between the dot and iron sights, but it takes a while and relies on some things that may not be there in the real deal.

It's not a universal good unless your eyesight stops you from seeing the sights.

Frankly it's a little more useful as a training aid, in my opinion, than as a sight. Having that coach on top of your slide is beneficial to eliminating wasted, inefficient movement in your draw and presentation to the target. It's useful for helping you learn what "good enough" looks like with iron sights. etc.

I've been working with the RDS in the last year precisely because it's becoming a thing and I've been trying to work out what it's really about and I'm at take it or leave it. I've shot my Gen5 G17 MOS pistol very well, but I've also experienced battery death and the inability to see the dot because the brightness setting was wrong and shot every bit as well with the backup irons on the gun despite the fact that the lower 1/3 co-witness of the iron sights is a shitty sight picture.

The key really is all about trigger control.
Stop assuming everyone that owns a handgun sucks at shooting.

You are making MANY generalities. If dots weren't faster, then every CO and Open shooter would be slower than Production or Limited shooters.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#21]

That is, once again, something I did not say.
View Quote
But you did generalize that everyone sucks at shooting and even said that you won't have a perfect presentation when you're at social and contact distances, so if you can't see your dot, you sure as hell don't see your sights.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#22]

That is, once again, something I did not say.
View Quote
That specifically? No.

However, you’re making far too many generalizations regarding use and capability. From your comments it seems as if you have some issues with your presentation and are projecting those upon others shooters.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Replace "dot" with sights. If you screw up your draw, your sights are going to be misaligned. Many detractors of pistol RDS will use a bad presentation as a reason not to get a RDS, when in reality, a pistol RDS will actually HELP you fix your presentation.

Stop assuming everyone that owns a handgun sucks at shooting.

You are making MANY generalities. If dots weren't faster, then every CO and Open shooter would be slower than Production or Limited shooters.
View Quote
If you have not noticed that, then you have not been paying attention in your little shooting circle... in a broader world view, collected over many decades, he is correct..... The majority of shooters suck with a handgun....

And As I have also said, a lot of the performance of a dot is predicated on presentation and Practice, where in the perfect world of competitors, they feel that will take care of it... but again, back in the real world, the world where a majority of hand gun shooters suck... those two things may not be present in the required amounts to make the Red dot the superior sighting system for the one time event they need to use a hand gun.

If you don't see that, I'm not really sure what to tell you...
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Harv24:

If you have not noticed that, then you have not been paying attention in your little shooting circle... in a broader world view, collected over many decades, he is correct..... The majority of shooters suck with a handgun....

And As I have also said, a lot of the performance of a dot is predicated on presentation and Practice, where in the perfect world of competitors, they feel that will take care of it... but again, back in the real world, the world where a majority of hand gun shooters suck... those two things may not be present in the required amounts to make the Red dot the superior sighting system for the one time event they need to use a hand gun.

View Quote
Just as the other guy is doing, you're making generalized statements about shooters as a whole. From a strictly physical standpoint, pistol RDS have merit. When you break it down to what they allow the shooter to do and to see, the pistol RDS will always be on top.

You are willingly ignoring that if your dot is not in the window, your IRON SIGHTS are misaligned. If misaligned irons are "good enough" to fire a shot, then your dot outside of the window is good enough also.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
I’m fully aware that people suck with handguns...

And if they suck with irons they’re going to suck with a dot. I don’t see how that changes the fact that the MRDS has clear advantages under the overwhelming large number of conditions under which you will be aiming a handgun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

I’m fully aware that people suck with handguns...

And if they suck with irons they’re going to suck with a dot. I don’t see how that changes the fact that the MRDS has clear advantages under the overwhelming large number of conditions under which you will be aiming a handgun.
View Quote
I don't think anyone here is saying that there is no advantages, Just that at close range(7 yds. and in) that advantage may not be all that great.
You know you're in the minority of hand gun shooters? Right... You put the time in and get the perfect or near perfect presentation... You put the work in, and you reap the results... Just like anything.

But you have to know that being in the minority... those advantages will not be present for a large cross section... it's just the way it is... No matter how awesome you think they are.

I get it, a lot of competitors get it, a lot of trainers get it, but they also get what's required to obtain it...and how small of a minority that it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Just as the other guy is doing, you're making generalized statements about shooters as a whole. From a strictly physical standpoint, pistol RDS have merit. When you break it down to what they allow the shooter to do and to see, the pistol RDS will always be on top.

You are willingly ignoring that if your dot is not in the window, your IRON SIGHTS are misaligned. If misaligned irons are "good enough" to fire a shot, then your dot outside of the window is good enough also.
View Quote
I'm thinking after being around a very large cross section of shooters over the last  40 years (hand guns) to include a 21 year Career with Uncle Sam where my issued weapons were Pistols (M1911's and M9's) and including the fact that I ran the majority of my units small arms qualification ranges, yeah, I'm thinking my observations are more ten just a generalization....

You keep saying were all telling you RDS's have no merit. Which is not the case...

But the merits will only be there in a measurable quantity only if the shooter puts in the time and practice... if not, it's not something a person can add to there pistol, and automatically be better.

Just like a scope doesn't make a shitty shooter, shoot better, just makes them see better. A red dot will show how crappy your presentation is... Yet folks have fought and survived gun fights with irons for hundreds of years...

You RDS guys turn a lot of potential users off with your "it's your funeral" RDS or nothing approach.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 7:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#29]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Ya know, we should just pick a standardized pistol challenge and have these dot boys post em up.  

I shot the BAER drill cold Sunday morning in 7.1 seconds. What are ya'll pulling with those fancy dots?
View Quote
I need to try that. What distance?
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 8:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#31]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 9:41:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#32]
View Quote
That's a very good drill, and good time.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:20:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DAVE_M] [#33]

Eh, that's incorrect.

I can make effective hits up close with my sights all sort of fucked up - but still visible. During testing on Sunday, any flaws in presentation resulted in a frozen shooter looking for a dot.
View Quote
That’s your inability to recognize what is “good enough” with a dot.

You might want to do more testing.

Btw, when I say see your sights, I’m talking about having an acceptable sight picture, not physically seeing that they are still on the gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Ya know, we should just pick a standardized pistol challenge and have these dot boys post em up.  

I shot the BAER drill cold Sunday morning in 7.1 seconds. What are ya'll pulling with those fancy dots?
View All Quotes

You RDS guys turn a lot of potential users off with your "it's your funeral" RDS or nothing approach.

Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
I typically shoot a variety of drills, but have never shot the BAER drill, so I couldn’t tell you. I’m assuming you’re talking about the Baer Solutions drill with two rectangles and the center circle?

If you had listened to the podcast that I posted a few pages back, you would have listened to what BJ Norris had to say.

Here is an article that talks about how BJ did shooting with a dot.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/06/wilson-combat-team-member-b-j-norris-top-shot-at-world-speed-shooting-championship/#axzz651glJN1M
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#36]
My experience after ~ 1.5 years of shooting an RMR is this:
- I had a very good presentation and acclimated very quickly (100 rounds)
- I am more accurate, confident, and faster*
- I am a better irons shooter given improvements from shooting the RMR translate to irons (better presentation & trigger control, less hesitation)

*I will say, if distance is very close and there is no movement (of target or shooter), the benefit of an RMR is diminished (but IMO not 0 and not negative).  However, as distance and or movement begin are introduced - the benefits are immediate and material.

I dont think flat footed, static target shooting is really a good measure.  So, shoot the BAER drill @ 5 yards static, vs shooting while moving/backing up or stapled to this -- and you will see your irons score drop and your MRDS scores up.

As evidence, per the Sage dynamics white paper there were multiple Force on Force scenarios where irons and MRDS equipped Glock 17s were used in dynamic scenarios ranging from arms length to 12 feet.  This is close shooting with movement and decision making.  Results:

IRONS:

Attachment Attached File

MRDS:

Attachment Attached File

So, is a MRDS required for competent pistol shooting?  No.  But, if you train out any bad habits, you will be substantially better.  If it is worth the $400-600 dollars is up to you.  It is worth it to me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
My experience after ~ 1.5 years of shooting an RMR is this:
- I had a very good presentation and acclimated very quickly (100 rounds)
- I am more accurate, confident, and faster*
- I am a better irons shooter given improvements from shooting the RMR translate to irons (better presentation & trigger control, less hesitation)

*I will say, if distance is very close and there is no movement (of target or shooter), the benefit of an RMR is diminished (but IMO not 0 and not negative).  However, as distance and or movement begin are introduced - the benefits are immediate and material.

I dont think flat footed, static target shooting is really a good measure.  So, shoot the BAER drill @ 5 yards static, vs shooting while moving/backing up or stapled to this -- and you will see your irons score drop and your MRDS scores up.

So, is a MRDS required for competent pistol shooting?  No.  But, if you train out any bad habits, you will be substantially better.  If it is worth the $400-600 dollars is up to you.  It is worth it to me.
View Quote
This has been my experience as well, since adopting a RDS 2 years ago on my main gun.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:05:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DAVE_M] [#39]

I'm talking about being unable to see ANY dot. How is a missing dot ever "good enough"?
View Quote
The barrel pointing relative to where you are aiming. If the dot is outside of the window, then your irons would be misaligned as well. The difference is that you have trained yourself to recognize the position of the front sight relative to the rear sight and move the gun. You are still fishing for your sights, you're just fishing for iron sight alignment than hoping a dot appears in the window. The entire point of shooting with a RDS is to NOT stare at your sights. Threat focus is the main benefit of a RDS. If you are an inexperienced shooter and your presentation is so god awful that you can't figure out how to point your gun at the target without hunting for your sights, then you need more dry fire practice.

This is a common drill to shoot to allow newer shooters to understand what it means to have a "good enough" sight picture relative the the distance you're shooting. Do this same drill with a dot. Put the dot in the far corners of the window and pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:38:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#40]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#42]

I'm well aware of this, it's established doctrine and literally exactly what I just said.

The point I was making is that there are plenty of go-fast scenarios where effective hits with imperfect iron alignment are possible without being able to see the dot.
View All Quotes

I'm well aware of this, it's established doctrine and literally exactly what I just said.

The point I was making is that there are plenty of go-fast scenarios where effective hits with imperfect iron alignment are possible without being able to see the dot.
If that's the point you were making, why did you ask this?

I'm talking about being unable to see ANY dot. How is a missing dot ever "good enough"?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Eh, that's incorrect.

I can make effective hits up close with my sights all sort of fucked up - but still visible. During testing on Sunday, any flaws in presentation resulted in a frozen shooter looking for a dot.
View Quote
At any distance you can make hits with fucked up irons you can also make hits with a fucked up dot.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone have experience with the Venom?

I like what I'm seeing, but the cheap price has me concerned.

Too many issues with the RMR, which failed this weekend while at the range, ironically.
View Quote
See the white paper. I know many who have had Venoms and Vipers fail at low round counts. Typically they lose zero.

What issues did you have with "the RMR" and what specific type and model were you using?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone have experience with the Venom?

I like what I'm seeing, but the cheap price has me concerned.

Too many issues with the RMR, which failed this weekend while at the range, ironically.
View Quote
Venom is shitty. Go with a Holosun 507/508 if you’re on a budget.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#48]

There's a difference between not being able to see something and being able to see it and it being acceptably fucked up.
View Quote
The difference is being inexperienced and panicking when the dot isn't present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XdyPQ3nCbc
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#49]

fucked up =/= missing
View Quote
Which is why I said “make hits”.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top