Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2019 3:29:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills]
Title says all.

I've had this IJ70 for a while now that used be to a carry gun for it's previous owner.  I got it really cheap from him and always had plans for fixing it up it but have just never gotten around to it.  At the time I acquired this pistol that new FAB defense grip had just been released and I had initially planned to go that route along with having it cerakoted.  But...................

Recently a friend of mine bought all the stuff required to parkerize firearms and he offered me the opportunity to come out and try my hand at it.  Since I had this IJ70 I needed to do something with eventually I figured why the hell not make it my test subject.  Well here are the results.

Mechanically it's fine but really fugly from the carry wear of the previous owner.

I was able to completely strip it down to the bare frame and slide.  I figured the trigger guard would also look good being parked as well so it was.

Not perfect.  There are a few flaws.  Prep, prep and some more prep.  Media blasting was fun before dropping into the park tank but I learned quick once it's clean and ready to be dunked don't touch anything with out the gloves on.  The oil from your fingers doesn't react well to the parking solution.

All back together and next to my Bulgarian for comparison.  Even with the few finish flaws I'm really stoked about how this turned out for my first time ever attempting to parkerize something.  I'm really glad my friend bought the stuff and gave me the opportunity to do so.  It looks a hell of alot better now than before.  I can always ask him to try re parking it again and see if I can get a better result down the road. But for now I'll leave it be.

Now I just have to figure out what grip to go with.  Leaning heavily towards the wooden grips now.  I think something in walnut would look killer on it.  Also that rear target sight has to eventually go.  I'll need to chase down one of those fixed Novak style sights for it.  I'm really digging this.  I'm kinda glad I slacked off on this project now.  My original plan of  Cerakote and FAB Defense grip would have been cool but I also liked the idea of good ol parked metal and wood furniture and couldn't pass the opportunity to park it myself.  I'm glad I did.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great. I'd throw a fixed sight on there and possibly some surplus grips and call it good

https://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/Makarov-IJ-70-Fixed-Rear-Sight_p_26.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blitzkreig:
Looks great. I'd throw a fixed sight on there and possibly some surplus grips and call it good

https://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/Makarov-IJ-70-Fixed-Rear-Sight_p_26.html
View Quote
That's the sight I was thinking of.  Thanks for the link. I'll have to order one soon. They used to sell that on Makarov.com back in the day.  I'm glad someone still has it available.  I was afraid I'd have to be looking/asking in the WTS forums for a used one.

I'm really leaning towards some nice wood grips.  Being a lefty the lanyard ring isn't a welcome option. That is why the FAB Defense grip initially had appealed to me.  I'll leave the original grip on my Bulgarian because it's a military surplus gun but with this IJ70 being a commerical variant I'm ok ditching this grip  and making it more comfortable to become my range shooter. I may even work it into my own carry rotation like the previous owner had used it for.

I've been looking at Marschal's grips.  They do offer some very attractive looking stuff.  Any other vendor suggestions someone can offer I'd be all ears.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Black East German bakelite grips are a good grip option. Fairly slim and no lanyard loop. Just be sure of which variant you snag if you go this route. Early EG used the std fluted grip screw. Later variants used a bigger unfluted screw.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
@Blitzkreig

Thanks again for the link on the rear sight.  Mine arrived today and I swapped it out.  I need to hit the range soon and see if it needs to be shimmed or trimmed for elevation and or adjusted right or left a touch but for now I just tried to center it as best as I could.  I like the sight picture much better than the adjustable import sights it had on it.

Now I just need to decide what grips to go with.  I'm still heavily leaning towards something in walnut I think.

Link Posted: 9/28/2019 8:40:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blitzkreig] [#6]
I think Marschal used to make some nice mak wooden grips. They can be fragile when not supported by the frame. IIRC the guys that ran makarov.com claimed that a lot of their wooden grips got broken in shipping.

https://www.marschalgrips.com/makarov/makarov.html
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I wound up just going with a surplus East German grip.  The important thing, no more lanyard ring to dig in my left hand.  Speaking of being left handed I scored a left hand SPOSN military holster for my Maks.  My friend pointed out that I could carry and dual wield them if I wanted to.  He's right you know and the lanyard ring on the Russian red grip would just have to simply be in the right hand.  The old school holster puts it there anyway lol.

Didn't feel like starting a new thread about the holster so I mentioned it here.  As far as the original topic of the thread now that I have finally addressed the lanyard ring grip issue I'm calling this one good.  I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking good, OP.

I like the Russian holster. The EG rain drop camo holsters are another cool variant that pops up once in a while
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 10:07:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#9]
Thanks for reading and following this thread.

I need to eventually chase down an E German mak for my collection.  That is one of the 9x18 firearms I'd like to check off my list.

For now I'm going to enjoy openly carrying this reparked by me mak in my new left hand holster.  Life is good.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Nicely done, JW. And that holster is a nice touch. I’ve thought about getting a beater and doing a refinish on it, too. And I’d love to come across an East German at a good price.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:58:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#12]
Originally Posted By ProjectMayhem:
Nicely done, JW. And that holster is a nice touch. I’ve thought about getting a beater and doing a refinish on it, too. And I’d love to come across an East German at a good price.
View Quote

EG Mak is one glaring hole I'd love to fill in my 9x18 collection.  Sadly I never see them at good pricing...................  

There's a shop not too far from here with a parked Bulgarian marked pretty cheap.  Been fighting the urge to snag it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:

EG Mak is one glaring hole I'd love to fill in my 9x18 collection.  Sadly I never see them at good pricing...................  

There's a shop not too far from here with a parked Bulgarian marked pretty cheap.  Been fighting the urge to snag it.
View Quote

Why fight the urge?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
I have a DDR Mak and I'd love to now find a IJ70 cheap so I can out those sights on it.
View Quote

I’d like to find a CHEAP Mak of any kind and mount some Novak night sights, polish the trigger and do a rich, satin blueing on it with walnut grips. For shiggles, if nothing else
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
That sounds like a great project to embark on especially being stuck at home right now.  Thanks COVID19........................

Good luck, hopefully you find a decent deal on something needing to be spruced up.  Haven't popped back into that shop yet.  I'm afraid to if that Bulgy is still there.  With all the panic buying recently chances are its long gone already.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:46:26 AM EDT
[#17]
That sounds like a great project to embark on especially being stuck at home right now.  Thanks COVID19........................

Good luck, hopefully you find a decent deal on something needing to be spruced up.  Haven't popped back into that shop yet.  I'm afraid to if that Bulgy is still there.  With all the panic buying recently chances are its long gone already.
View Quote

Thanks, and good luck to you, too. Hopefully that Bulgy is still there.

And yes, you’re not kidding....Sheltering in place SUCKS.

Stay safe and healthy out there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally popped back in there.

Long gone.  Oh well.  The former iron curtain countries made plenty of these.  I'll come across another one eventually for a good deal.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Do it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
Finally popped back in there.

Long gone.  Oh well.  The former iron curtain countries made plenty of these.  I'll come across another one eventually for a good deal.

View Quote

Man, that sucks. Though, I’m sure you’ll come across another as you said.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I might get a Imez IJ70 in .380 ACP this weekend. Would look just like this with the import markings.

https://decg5lu73tfmh.cloudfront.net/gunvaluesboard.com/images/fbfiles/images/makarov_ij70_17a_v_1401706981.jpg

Except it has the thick rubber Pearce Grips. I have a spare set of Russian Brown Bakelite grips. So if I snag it, I'll slap that and the fixed rare sight form Gun Parts Warehouse.
View Quote

Do it.

View Quote

Nice catch, have fun with that and do post pics
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Good looking pistol.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#25]
https://i.imgur.com/mmNJxNu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Y60pvpx.jpg

I have the new sight and another DDR grip on order.
View Quote

Good looking pistol.  

View Quote

Amen, brother! That looks beautiful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top