Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2015 7:32:53 AM EDT
Whats the general opinion on this gun?  Ive been looking for one locally to compare to a glock 30,just for size/weight obviously they are diffrent styles of gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:29:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: intheburbs] [#1]
Originally Posted By SouthTexasAR:
Whats the general opinion on this gun?  Ive been looking for one locally to compare to a glock 30,just for size/weight obviously they are diffrent styles of gun.
View Quote

I used to run Paras (P12, P14) as my EDC and primary shooting guns.  I like the concept of a doublestack 1911, and my hands are large enough to make it comfortable.  Didn't own any Glocks.

Once I started doing a reasonable amount of shooting/training, the Paras started having reliability/feed issues.  I now own one Para and a shitload of Glocks.  YMMV.

ETA - the 30S is a sweet, right-sized gun.  The regular 30 has a much wider slide.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#2]
My cousin, female I might add, was talked into buying one of these many years ago by a gunshop moron.

My cousin is not a gun person, she does know how to shoot and operate a 1911, due to being related to me. Hell, I had her running drills with my STI Edge that is my back up Limited Division gun for USPSA, she did very good with it and actually fell in love with the single action trigger.

When she went looking at guns, without me, and after talking with the aforementioned GS moron about her like of the 1911 trigger, he recommended a Para Warthog in 45acp. And since it was small and had the 1911 trigger, she bought it.

After her first trip to the range, she hated the gun for the following reasons.
1) Recoil. duh
2) Accuracy.
3) Shitty trigger.
4) FTF
5) FTE

She and I, decided to hit the range, in hopes I could help her. She really wanted to like this gun, mostly because she chose it herself.

The gun in my hands, now.
1) At 7rds, the gun sent rounds 4" low left from POA, with various loads.
2) FTF with 3 types of defensive rounds.
3) Shitty trigger.

One of my USPSA buddies that I practice with was also at the range, and he also put rounds thru the gun. His experience mirrored mine.

Gun was sold to an LEO buddy of mine with full disclosure of its problems. He sent it back to Para, gun came back with a better trigger, that was it. Gun was went to some GS in Kentucky that is supposedly a Para genius, gun came back functional with better POI/POA but with a decent sized bill for work.

I was more pissed about the GS morons bad advice than anything else, but the gun itself, to me, was a bad idea to begin with along with a piss poor attempt in build quality.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a big fan of the NEW Para-USA Warthog. Anything that was made in Canada or has a PXT 2 piece extractor sucks....

Allow me to explain how I came to this conclusion.

First off, I owned a Para Ordnance P10 (Canadian made) back in the day and I had tons of issues with rounds ejecting, jamming etc. But I wasn't ready to write the double stacked sub compact off just yet, because I thought they were an awesome concept.

I then bought a Para Ordnance Warthog which came out with the stupid PXT 2 piece extractor with a spring applying pressure to the round... It still sucked and had issues with failure to feed, ejecting, jamming and everything else.  

So what did I do? I traded it and said I was never going to pick one up again.

Then Para converted to Para-USA and started making their Hogs in North Carolina and they started putting in the EG Gun Works HD extractor. (Something that I could of done to mine before trading it but I was unaware of the EG HD Extractor at the time)

In conclusion... Somehow I ended up buying a 3rd Para Warthog (LiteHawg) from Para-USA made in Pinesville, NC with the HD Extractor and have fired a little over 4000 rounds through it. I have fired it for 4 year now without ever having a single extraction issue whatsoever. I am a firm believer that if you are having issues with a Para Warthog it probably needs an EG Gun Works HD Extractor to solve your problems...

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I got one in a trade, didn't like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top