Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 46
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AJE:

I think this is the main thing that is bugging me about this whole concept.

The compensator just makes the whole thing stupid to me.  Making up some bullshit about special ops just makes it a joke.

You know what they need more than anything?  A gun to work 100% of the time. The best way to do that is not to add a bunch of shit to it.  

I question the legitimacy of the claims that these are in any kind of widespread use in special operations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And of course, we declare that this is a "special" pistol, for "special" people, as if the concept and application can't then be critiqued.

The compensator just makes the whole thing stupid to me.  Making up some bullshit about special ops just makes it a joke.

You know what they need more than anything?  A gun to work 100% of the time. The best way to do that is not to add a bunch of shit to it.  

I question the legitimacy of the claims that these are in any kind of widespread use in special operations.

You make a really good point right there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes

And of course, we declare that this is a "special" pistol, for "special" people, as if the concept and application can't then be critiqued.

I question it as well. There is probably gonna be some SF guy go and build one just to make it real.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Concerning the Cool Guys running fancy Glocks, I saw this on a Facebook page for service sidearms and clones. Caption mentioned guys from Bragg. Holster is AMS-6S.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

What page?
View Quote

Sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TheGunslinger:
Concerning the Cool Guys running fancy Glocks, I saw this on a Facebook page for service sidearms and clones. Caption mentioned guys from Bragg. Holster is AMS-6S.

<a href="http://s630.photobucket.com/user/TheHiddenMan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055855754_zpsdhdybdms.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24/TheHiddenMan/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055855754_zpsdhdybdms.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s630.photobucket.com/user/TheHiddenMan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055852288_zpsplhkox6o.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24/TheHiddenMan/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055852288_zpsplhkox6o.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s630.photobucket.com/user/TheHiddenMan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055849146_zpsvhakggfq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24/TheHiddenMan/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055849146_zpsvhakggfq.jpg</a>
View Quote

ALG 6 second mount?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SharnPenndroen:

ALG 6 second mount?
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s630.photobucket.com/user/TheHiddenMan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055855754_zpsdhdybdms.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24/TheHiddenMan/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055855754_zpsdhdybdms.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s630.photobucket.com/user/TheHiddenMan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055852288_zpsplhkox6o.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24/TheHiddenMan/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055852288_zpsplhkox6o.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s630.photobucket.com/user/TheHiddenMan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055849146_zpsvhakggfq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24/TheHiddenMan/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1460055849146_zpsvhakggfq.jpg</a>

ALG 6 second mount?

Looks different but weren't the ALG mounts designed for Delta for clearing airplanes?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Yeah, it's a 6 Second Mount.

And yeah, if you read between the lines, that seems to be the case.

Pictures might have originally come from this SSD article:

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/03/20/advanced-holster-6-second-mount-holster/
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By TheNuge:

ALG 6 second mount?

Looks different but weren't the ALG mounts designed for Delta for clearing airplanes?

Yeah, it's a 6 Second Mount.

And yeah, if you read between the lines, that seems to be the case.

Pictures might have originally come from this SSD article:

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/03/20/advanced-holster-6-second-mount-holster/

Most interesting part of the article...

"and fit a full-size Glock with the following accessories:

– 6 Second Mount

– External Compensator

– Surefire X-series Weapon Light"

Looks like a small bit of evidence further validating the use of comps such as those used in the Roland Special.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:15:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: matt7184] [#11]
What page?
View Quote

as was posted on Soldier Systems Link of Holster + Cool Guy Mount...

ETA: See I was beat

The comp makes more sense on a G22....not as much sense on a 9mm G19 that isn't running major power factor loads...
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 8:11:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#12]
Originally Posted By matt7184:

The comp makes more sense on a G22....not as much sense on a 9mm G19 that isn't running major power factor loads...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By matt7184:
What page?

Rumor has it that +P duty rounds are what is being ran with the Roland Special. No clue what brand or grain though. I'm assuming a 124gr +P hollow point of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 12:05:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eviljoe] [#13]
For what it's worth, Vickers told a few of us hanging around that his favorite carry ammo was Win 124 +P+, which was what his "old unit" was using.
(This was a year ago; about two years ago, when talking to Kyle Lamb about why he liked M&Ps when his old unit used G22s, he mentioned that they had to use 165gr ammo because 180gr stuff was too hard on the guns.)
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:11:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#14]
At 124:40, the origin of the Roland Special, straight from Roland.....

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure if I missed it in there....I just heard holster discussion.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By detacbob:
View Quote

You missed it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Its around the 2:05 mark.

Still think this concept as printed in the Guns & Ammo article is a joke though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Airborne_Infantryman:

You missed it.
View All Quotes

You missed it.

I got it now.  I read your annotation wrong on my tiny phone screen.  Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#19]
There's a newer podcast and the whole thing is about the Roland Glock. Sounds pretty drunk but worth a listen.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow. Thats pretty interesting to hear how not born out of necessity the whole thing was. Even when discussing performance after the fact it was all about how it was an improvement over the same modifications in a glock 17 frame.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#21]
There's a newer podcast and the whole thing is about the Roland Glock. Sounds pretty drunk but worth a listen.
View Quote

Link? I'm not familiar with pod casts and how they work. Can I listen from my iPad?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: theblackcat] [#22]
Originally Posted By ak4784:

Link? I'm not familiar with pod casts and how they work. Can I listen from my iPad?
View All Quotes

Go to your podcast app on the iPad/iPhone and type in "primary secondary" (no quotes) in the search box, you should see it. Try the latest episode, hadn't listened to it in awhile so not sure which episode title deals with the RS. You can download it for later or just click play and listen now right on the iPad or iPhone.

ETA - Here is the youtube link to the episode:(NSFW language)
P&S Roland Special
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: detacbob] [#23]
Originally Posted By theblackcat:

Go to your podcast app on the iPad/iPhone and type in "primary secondary" (no quotes) in the search box, you should see it. Try the latest episode, hadn't listened to it in awhile so not sure which episode title deals with the RS. You can download it for later or just click play and listen now right on the iPad or iPhone.

P&S Roland Special
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By theblackcat:

P&S Roland Special

That's clipped from the full length episode that Airborne posted which does make it easier.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll Upload the Roland Special segment to iTunes/Stitcher now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:15:12 AM EDT
[#25]
...and the only reason it was called the "Gunslinger Special" is because I called it that once in an article so people wouldn't associate it with the man Roland because he wanted to be lower profile in April 2015..
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Sweet. Thanks guys. My first pod cast experience
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:51:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Riafdnal:
I'll Upload the Roland Special segment to iTunes/Stitcher now.
View Quote

Great podcast Matt. You and the guys are both entertaining and informative.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Yep, sounds like somebody is trying to sell something.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I am itching to get this build done.....can't find an RM06 anywhere (wholesale)!

I do have some various reloading components on the way to try out, in addition to the factory ammo I listed earlier.

VV 3N37, Remington 5 1/2 primers, 124gr and 147gr projectiles, etc.

Anticipation is killing me.

I did however get a Gen3 G17 setup with a 6 second mount and H1.  I'll be taking that out to the range this weekend along with a few 22rd ETS mags and an ENDO adapter.  I hope it's enough to tide me over.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I named it that as a tongue in cheek (Saturday Night Special) yet still provide recognition of the person that introduced it to me.

The whole thing is centered around performance. With an RMR you have a short window, the comp helps mitigate recoil so you can keep your eye on the dot versus loosing it with recoil.

I don't believe any of us made the claim that this is a special operations operator tool to operate with. This combo provides a fast and efficient option with greater accuracy compared to your stock Glock. Obviously to maximize it, training and practice need to occur.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#32]
It's definitely an interesting idea. I like that it completely removes sight radius from the accuracy equation. I'm thinking about doing an ATOM slide with a Vortex.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#33]

I don't believe any of us made the claim that this is a special operations operator tool to operate with.

View Quote

The G&A article certainly implies it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:48:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

View All Quotes

I don't believe any of us made the claim that this is a special operations operator tool to operate with.

Yeah - compare the article to what Roland said directly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#35]
So the concept was just a lark and is kind of an inside joke among friends that its become popular online.

The concept adds weight plus a new failure point with the main benefits being it keeps the light clean and gives a boringly reliable pistol a "soul".

The explanation actually makes more sense than some super secret ninja project. Who doesnt like fucking with something just because they can? I was the first guy I ever saw cut lightning cuts in a heavy slide on a long dustcover limited gun back in 1997 just to see if it would keep the flip down that tiny bit more. We were making our own fiber optic sites because no one sold them. I was in a group of guys with access to a full tool room so we did all kinds of shit just because we could. Which is exactly what the Roland special sounds like.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Roland says in the beginning of most podcasts that he's a 26 year vet, former ranger, and some special ops group that I can't remember the name of. Asymmetric warfare or something?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Roland says in the beginning of most podcasts that he's a 26 year vet, former ranger, and some special ops group that I can't remember the name of. Asymmetric warfare or something?
View All Quotes

Plank holder at the Asymmetric Warfare Group - is the most recent amount of info he is willing to share.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:30:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#38]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#39]
What holsters are available?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah I bought the optic G34 holster from safariland. ($240! YOWZA) but I'm also looking for a good IWB holster for appendix carry. I'm looking for one that's available and was wondering if any of the "tier one antiterror assets" here knew of any.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I use the Raven Concealment - Vanguard 3 as my edc holster for the Roland Special.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:

Which magwell / trigger is that?
View All Quotes

Looks like the Apex Tactical trigger, and a Zev Pro magwell.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

That is correct.

I used my Roland in an ICore match today and was impressed with how well the sights tracked. I was just shooting 115 gr factory loads, I want to try to make some 115 +p loads now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I just listened to that podcast today. Lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

And which compensator?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 96Ag:

And which compensator?

Thank you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 96Ag:

And which compensator?

Thank you.

KKM Comp and barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riafdnal] [#50]
Here is some of the early discussions of the buzz:

https://primaryandsecondary.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-roland-special.827/
Page / 46
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top