Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2020 2:54:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RailgunDeadeye]
Hello all!

I found a Makarov IJ70-18AH at a local gunshop and it was such an oddity that I ended up taking it home. It shoots pretty well, but I do have a few questions:

- Refinishing: The gun needs some TLC. I'd like to get it refinished, but am unsure of what direction to go. I saw CCR Refinishing's "Dusk" coating (ccrrefinishing.com) and it reminds me of a Bulgarian Mak's finish. Is this a good idea to attempt? I don't have the expertise to know if this is even possible from a metallurgy standpoint.

- Magazines: Anybody got a good lead for the double stack mags? My Google-Fu has failed me.

- Parts: From what I was able to piece together from various sources online, all the parts from standard Maks are interchangeable with the double-stack Maks, minus the frame, grip, and magazine. Just wanted to double check, is this true?

Thanks for the assistance, Mak Masters!

V/r,

CJ
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:26:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chemcmndr] [#1]
Not sure about refinishing, I had a local shop do a “black oxide” coating on a Soviet mak that turned out great.

There should still be a ProMag 10 round double stack mag on the equipment exchange here for a good price. Otherwise watching on Gunbroker. If you’re looking for the Russian ones, expect to pay around $100 for them, especially if they’re 12 rounders. In a pinch, the 8 round single stack magazines will work though.

As far as parts go, you are correct that for the most part, they’re interchangeable, except for grips
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You have to keep a real lookout for mags. There's (or was) a guy on ebay that was selling 10 round mags which were cut down 12's with a pinned base pad for about $50-$60 They were made that way since they were coming straight out of russia.

You can use normal 8 round makarov mags also.

I did get lucky a few months ago and picked up a legit russian 12 round mag locally for $50. I felt like i stole it LOL.

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]Originally Posted By cheezzyizill:[/b
I did get lucky a few months ago and picked up a legit russian 12 round mag locally for $50. I felt like i stole it LOL.

View Quote

Yes... yes you stole it! Lol, excellent find!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Update from CCR Refinishing:

"Yes we can refinish your Makarov in Dusk. We have done several over the years."

Looks like I'll be giving that a shot. Also, thanks for the help to those who have commented!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top