Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2019 4:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blitzkreig]

Late night slumming on GB turned up this cosmetically challenged '87 Bulgarian with older style discrete import marks for $150 delivered. It has some pin prick pitting on the right side of frame and slide.  Seller disclosed a stuck firing pin and threw in two ugly EG magazines. The FP channel was packed with cosmo and rust that was quickly eliminated after soaking in Ed's red for about a week. The black thumb-rest import grips got tossed and I dug out some original grips from my stash.  Bore and internals are all in nice shape.   The two mags got blasted with Alox and received Oxpho blue treatment.

Hoping to get out to the range for testing tomorrow and then get it into the hands of a local guy who does nice draw filing and re-bluing.

UPDATE 5/25/2019

I got the pistol back this spring from my local refinisher. We had some miscommunication over preserving the original marking that he took to include the minor import marks but, for $50 it is an absolute improvement despite some remaining "cosmetic challenges".

The grips are a newer line from Rus at Polish Iron Grips. They are more known for their Polish P64 line of products.   The grips were advertised as coming in Black(pictured), Brown, and Bakelite Brown.  In direct sunlight the black grips have a distinct Plum cast to them that in all honestly looks good to my eye with the Makarov hammer and safety levers. I tried to take come pictures that would show the smooth edges of the grips are the front strap and rear of the grip. These are the most comfortable Makarov grips that I have used and are much less bulky/grippy compared to Pearce grips. No issues were experienced with clothing sticking to the grips when carrying. Access to controls is not impeded.

PolishIron has a line on the website that East German grips are coming soon. I would really like to see a pure black offering without the star/circle motif that would approximate EG bakelite grips which were my previous carry grip preference.

Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding.  Bringing that puppy back to life.  Good for you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m gonna have to start calling things “cosmetically challenged”.

Looks like a fun project though, nice that it has the older import markings.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#3]
New info in OP
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Plum ain't dumb! Looks great.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#5]
That came out really nice, OP.

Does anybody do smooth sided grips? Can you stipple the Bakelite grips?

Does anybody have decently priced Makarov's right now? I think I want one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top