Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2020 5:27:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeG]
I took my brand new Kimber Stainless II 9mm to the range today and was so disappointed. I would get a failure to feed two or three times with every full magazine. My beautiful new gun was a jam-o-matic!

I returned home to analyze the problem. I tested the extractor with an empty case and quickly discovered the issue as it was so difficult to force a case into position on the slide. The extractor tension was way too tight. A quick adjustment and it now works as it should and I’m so happy it was not going back as a warranty claim. The advantage of a 1911 is while they require more maintenance than most modern firearms, they are usually easy to fix.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry you had issues. I bought a new Custom II in October and it has been flawless so far, with a variety of different mags.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#2]
By the way, I have three other Kimber’s that have been great and without issue. My oldest Kimber is over 20 years with me. Hence the reason I chose Kimber when looking for a full sized 9mm. Just strange that this wouldn’t have been caught before being sent from the factory.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a kimber pro cary stainless 2 or something about 10 years ago and it jammed up the same way I couldn't get it to work.

Stayed away from them and traded it in for a colt defender. I'm wanting a 1911 again and always liked these but I want something that works.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I must say, while disappointed at the problem, the fix was quite easy. There are many YouTube videos to correct extractor tension.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I still would have occasional trouble with the extractor, with failure to eject or stuck cases. Finally swapped the extractor out with a Wilson Combat extractor. Seems to have done the trick as the ejection is now very consistent and reliable.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:50:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unrock] [#6]
Had the same issues.  Replaced the extractor with Wilson Combat and never looked back.  Gun now runs flawlessly.

Shame no you Kimber.

I have TLR II in 10 mm I cannot get this one to run right,   Now my Kimber 45 runs well.

I suppose the moral of the story is that If you buy Kimber in anything other than 45 Commander or full size expect problems.

No more Kimbers for me.  I almost feel sorry for people when I see them buying fancy looking micro Kimbers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 6:37:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unrock] [#7]
I tried my 9mm Wilson ejector in 10mm Kimber.  And guess what, FTFs went away.  I suppose that OEM ejector was too tight, not allowing the round to slip under it thus not chambering the round.  I only ran 20 rounds without a hiccup.  Before the swap it would FTE almost once or twice per mag.  It rarely got through a mag or 2 without FTF.

I have tried different mags, ammo recoil spring, full size rod, GI rod, polish the feed ramp etc.   Each time FTF were less frequent but still not able to get through the mag.   The ejector change never occurred to me until this post.   SO BIG THANK YOU JoeG

I must had waisted 600 rounds over last 4 years to figure this out.  Almost gave up on the pistol.

Again shame on you Kimber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top