Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
11/18/2024 12:22:46 PM EDT
I am picking up a new DE XIX in 44mag (non brake version).  I plan to try and source a 50AE barrel and mags.  The question is, do I want a brake version?  Meaning the factory integral muzzle brake.  I know that with the brake you dont get the "legendary fireball" quite the same, but that really isnt my concern.

The gun is just going to be a fun gun and I might try to pig hunt with it.
11/18/2024 1:11:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd][Edited] [#1]
Breaks are loud.  Those pistols are heavy.

Suggest you get 44 mag in Marlin 1894 or step up to Marlin 1895 in 45-70 it will be a better pig hunt. I’ve had lots of 44 mag pistols but you get so much more velocity from a carbine.  (I hardly ever shoot my really heavy pistol, but 44 lever guns are fun and handle well.  )
11/18/2024 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I didnt get it to specifically pig hunt. I just may pig hunt with it for fun - just because.  I have a suppressed 300BO with night vision for night hunting pigs and a 450B that I regularly day hunt pigs with.
11/18/2024 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the DE IMB is a good thing.  I have the .44MAG barrel in both regular, and IMB, and it makes a really big difference.  I also have the .50AE barrel in regular and IMB, but after shooting the 44IMB, i've only shot the 50AE with the IMB, completely forgo the 50AE without the IMB.

JMHO.

11/18/2024 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I would really like to try shooting a .50 side-by-side with the standard vs. IMB barrels.  I'd had a MK-XIX in .44 for years before finally getting a .50 AE barrel.  I figured they would be about the same, and recoil-wise they are.  But the amount of torque, the muzzle flip due to the high bore of the DE really makes the larger caliber is really noticeable.  To the point of being distracting.

I've considered sending the barrel off to Mag-na-port, but it's not high on the priority list.

I do have a standard barrel in .357 for the MK-XIX, plus an L5 also in .357.  The two guns feel very different from each other.  It's very distinct.  The ported L5 seems snappy, while the MK-XIX almost feels sluggish after shooting the ported gun.  Not that either are bad.  Shooting .357 through these big guns is really pleasant.  It's just a very different feel, one to the other.

You might see if there is a rental range in your area that has both.  Definitely worth trying out.
11/26/2024 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
I think the DE IMB is a good thing.  I have the .44MAG barrel in both regular, and IMB, and it makes a really big difference.  I also have the .50AE barrel in regular and IMB, but after shooting the 44IMB, i've only shot the 50AE with the IMB, completely forgo the 50AE without the IMB.

JMHO.

https://i.imgur.com/8JO6kq9.jpg
View Quote

Is there any way to get that rmr lower to the rail, or milled to directly attach?
11/26/2024 8:26:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98][Edited] [#6]
Quote History
Originally Posted By takdriver:
Is there any way to get that rmr lower to the rail, or milled to directly attach?
View Quote

Pic was to show the IMB.  Since that pic was taken, I've replaced the LaRue QD RMR mount with a non-QD mount to get it a little lower.  Not as easy as it seems, since the top rail is not true picatinny rail spec.  If the RMR rail adapter uses more than one screw, i.e. 2 screws, or more than one recoil lug, it will not fit.  The Trijicon 2-screw RMR mount is nice and low, but, 2 screws, so no fit.  The spacing is different, the cross-screws don't line up with the DE rail slots.  I have no idea why Magnum Research did that, didn't use the picatinny rail specs.  The width is ok, but the spacing is off.

I didn't want to mill my slide.  Besides, the slide recoils, the barrel is stationary.  Barrel-mounted RMR doesn't get hammered like a 50AE slide-mounted RMR would.

I understand that the lower rail on the newer models is true pic rail spec, though.  Maybe they'll fix that on a Mark XX.
12/3/2024 2:03:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyVet814][Edited] [#7]
I would vote "without muzzle break".  You'd hate not ever seeing that freakin' amazin' fireball. lol

I have both .357 IMB and .50 AE standard.  Not a good comparison, but the .357 is boring compared to the .50AE.  I don't shoot it that often, but when I do, I like to feel the power!  
12/3/2024 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ArmyVet814:
I would vote "without muzzle break".  You'd hate not ever seeing that freakin' amazin' fireball. lol

I have both .357 IMB and .50 AE standard.  Not a good comparison, but the .357 is boring compared to the .50AE.  I don't shoot it that often, but when I do, I like to feel the power!  
View Quote


This is where I landed.  I am going to pick up a non-brake barrel for the 50AE.
12/8/2024 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Does MR still offer the service to drill and tap older barrels for the bolt on muzzle brake?
You could get that and have the ability to take it on and off if wanted.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In