Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2022 10:12:43 AM EDT
I've always wanted one of these (for the history), I shoot 9mm USPSA and I will defend the 9mm round as the best until I die

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a shooter, but I really just want a "model" with good history behind it....

Then I see some made in like the 70's and German Lugers on Gunbroker that end without any bids for $1100 in halfway decent shape, so I'm really thrown off on what is what

I know I can can watch some of these 4 hour Luger videos but I assume there's a few main originals people try and seek out?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm with you OP.

Theres been a dozen times I've decided I wanted to buy a Luger and then get overwhelmed with it and don't want to get robbed by buying a junk pistol because it's a 'good deal'.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The floor on good shooter grade original Lugers seems to be about $1500

Legacy Collectibles handles lots of Lugers and seems very knowledgeable on the matter
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a Swiss Luger, specifically the model of 1929. The Swiss never used corrosive ammo and you should be able to find one in good shape.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
There are Luger collectors and there are Luger collectors. Ralph Shattuck was one of the premier collectors. Had every model of Luger there was. His book is considered a must-have to any collector's reference library.

Those 1100 dollar "Lugers" made in the 70's well, there are modern examples, yes. If all you want is that style of pistol, have at it. They're good shooters. If you're getting a vintage Luger, German made from WWI or WWII (and in between those wars) and it's 1100? Provided it works and is complete and not a rusty lump, would be a fine shooting addition to any collection.

There are hundreds if not thousands of variations in these guns. Matching means all of the parts marked with a serial number match each other. Mostly, you will find guns priced less that don't all match and they usually work fine. Spare parts are available as are magazines. You should be able to find a decent "shooter"  but most of the Lugers I see for sale go for double that 1100 figure. Shop wisely.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akethan:
My FFL bought a collection of them a few months ago. Not my style.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14209/20220829_184056-2508690.jpg
View Quote

Yea.... I'll just take the one on the Top Left please.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Same boat with Lugers and Broomhandle Mausers, want one and not sure where to start on either one.  For whatever reason been seeing quite a few Lugers at local shows lately here in Phoenix.

And I'm open to a 30 cal, not like I am going to shoot it much anyway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Add simpsons ltd to your list.
That's where i got mine from.

My luger came out of some big collection that was owned by Jeffery Sturges (Probably spelled wrong).

It was featured in a book that he co authored.

I haven't gotten to see what was written about my luger, but I'm guessing it had to do with the treaty of 1918, and the fact that it has military proofs, and then they went out of their way to mark it as a police gun

It's a fun pistol and a neat chunk of history.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Yea.... I'll just take the one on the Top Left please.
View Quote
Dibs on the bottom right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top