Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
10/6/2024 1:22:02 PM EDT
I bought a used 44 magnum desert eagle last week. Looks to be in great shape.The guy bought it from said he has about 250 runs with no problem so he says. I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. So when I take it shooting, there should be no issues with it being dirty if there is any problem. After I got it put together I was testing the safety and trigger function. I noticed that when the hammer dropped, it didn't seem to hit the firing pin very hard or possibly not at all. So I thought I would do a pencil test to test the firing pin. The pencil does in fact not move or launch out like it should.
Any advice or what I should do or look at?
10/7/2024 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The pencil test does not appear to be a good one for the Desert Eagle.  The pencil is most likely stopping on the plunger-style ejector, so the firing pin never hits it.  I just tried this with two different Desert Eagle pistols and neither caused the pencil to jump.  And I know both of these guns function just fine.  

If you are worried about the firing pin, lock the slide back (or remove it from the gun).  Push the bolt stabilizer pin back (next to the left side of the bolt), which will release the bolt to rotate.  Push the bolt all the way to the rear in the slide.  Don't stop when the bolt no longer turns. It will move back another 1/8" or so after that.  Now holding the bolt fully to the rear, push the back of the firing pin with a pen or other small tool.  You should now see the front of the firing pin protruding through the front of the bolt.  

Or just take the gun out and shoot it.
10/8/2024 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for trying the pencil test.
I tried what you mentioned and  the pin does come out. So I guess I was worried possibly for nothing. I'll just go shoot it. Lol thx again.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In