Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
1/17/2024 12:21:19 PM EDT
I'm real confused.  I have a new production XIX .50ae eagle.  I want to convert to a .357 magnum.    As best I can tell:

1. I need to buy the XIX 357 barrel and mag

OR

2. I need to buy the XIX barrel, mag, and seperately, a bolt?


Can someone help me out on this?
1/17/2024 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You need the 357 barrel, a 357 mag and a 357 bolt
1/17/2024 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote History
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:
You need the 357 barrel, a 357 mag and a 357 bolt
View Quote



Damn.  So like $800?
1/17/2024 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Mal3516:



Damn.  So like $800?
View Quote


Yup. Had the same dilemma. Ended up buying a used .357 for $1k instead.
1/17/2024 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Mal3516:



Damn.  So like $800?
View Quote


Depends. There's a couple 6" 357 barrels on gun broker right now for $412. A bolt is $220 and a mag is about $40 so... probably < $700 or close to it with shipping.
1/17/2024 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Occasionally you can find a parts set. Complete gun minus the receiver. I’ve seen them on Gunbroker, eBay, and a few of the other gun sales/auction websites.

Sometimes they go for silly money, but occasionally you can find a decent price on one. Seems deals are fewer and farther between these days, though.

I already had a barrel & bolt. Bought a stripped slide, to make the caliber swap even easier (don’t have to remove the bolt from the slide, just swap the whole slide). But by the time I sourced all the small parts, I’d have been much better off of I’d have just bought another complete gun.

1/18/2024 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I found a bolt and barrel set blem for a total of $710. Is that decent?  How hard is it to swap a bolt?
1/18/2024 8:07:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ][Edited] [#7]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Mal3516:
I found a bolt and barrel set blem for a total of $710. Is that decent?  How hard is it to swap a bolt?
View Quote

Looking on gunbroker, I see a new .357 barrel with a "buy it now" price of $412.  There are a couple of sellers with new .357 bolts for $225.  Figure in shipping, and you're still a bit less than your "blem" set, and this way you have "new" parts.

The bolt swaps out in 2 or 3 minutes. Not terribly difficult.



1/20/2024 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Originally Posted By IPMan:


Yup. Had the same dilemma. Ended up buying a used .357 for $1k instead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By IPMan:
Originally Posted By Mal3516:



Damn.  So like $800?


Yup. Had the same dilemma. Ended up buying a used .357 for $1k instead.



That is pretty much what it boiled down to with me.
I ended up buying a 2nd desert eagle and keep it dedicated to 357.
I now have 3 desert eagles.

357 seems to usually be the lower priced of the calibers, as most people want the 50 or 44. So complete 357 guns usually sell for slightly less.

I have seen a few used DE's sell for at or just below 1k, but it has been a while.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In