Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2014 7:56:03 PM EDT
I want to build off of a para frame so i could use double stack mags,  what parts are unique to the para frame?  im guessing the mag release and i know the trigger but is there anything else, pins or spring wise? and if anyone knows where i can get a striped slide and frame? i am not sure para would sale those to me, i want to do all the fitting myself so i would like max tolerance in both.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
They started out selling frame and parts kits, I carried an LDA for awhile, good gun, not reliable and customer service sucked, My friend sent one in for repairs, they lost it
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Azuredeviljin:
I want to build off of a para frame so i could use double stack mags,  what parts are unique to the para frame?  im guessing the mag release and i know the trigger but is there anything else, pins or spring wise? and if anyone knows where i can get a striped slide and frame? i am not sure para would sale those to me, i want to do all the fitting myself so i would like max tolerance in both.
View Quote

You got it.  The rest of the parts, including the sear, mainspring housing, etc, are all compatible with off the shelf 1911 stuff.  The only other thing that won't fit are the grip panels.  Standard 1911 grips won't fit a para, you have to have Para-specific contoured grips (they "wrap" around the frame more because of the wideness of grip).

People used to do a lot of builds off of Para frames and slides, they used to sell them a lot more.  Now that Para was bought out, and have re-vamped their line, I haven't seen bare frames for sale to build on.  You might want to look at STI or another double-stack company.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The trigger will be different as well.

Try Sarco for frames and parts.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheWind:
They started out selling frame and parts kits, I carried an LDA for awhile, good gun, not reliable and customer service sucked, My friend sent one in for repairs, they lost it
View Quote

I sent a beat up third hand 14-45 LDA in for repair and they not only fixed it, but they completely replaced the frame with a new Old stock one that was made in Canada and told me that the take down lever hole was worn out of spec...... NO extra charge! They even gave me a new plastic factory box.  I can't say enough good about my experience with them.

I love that pistol and the best part was that I got it super cheap because the guy I bought it from took it apart and couldn't figure out how to put it back together. lol
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Use a Caspian frame.

http://www.fosterind.com/
For blems and specials.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sheepdog372:

I sent a beat up third hand 14-45 LDA in for repair and they not only fixed it, but they completely replaced the frame with a new Old stock one that was made in Canada and told me that the take down lever hole was worn out of spec...... NO extra charge! They even gave me a new plastic factory box.  I can't say enough good about my experience with them.

I love that pistol and the best part was that I got it super cheap because the guy I bought it from took it apart and couldn't figure out how to put it back together. lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sheepdog372:
Originally Posted By TheWind:

A friend of mine sent one in for repairs, they lost it and stalled him for months, I may try to contact them again, but they also ignored my emails and could never get through on the phone. Now Colt was no problem and I sent them one that had not been made in 15 years, but I had recently bought it at a LGS that had a ton of old NIB handguns
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Go with Caspian or STI. At one time you could get everything from Caspian as a kit. Just had to build it Mat be able to do the same thing from STI.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#8]
So...

frame

mags

trigger

mag release

grip panels

...and everything else can be standard 1911 parts?   I thought the thumb safety might be different.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I built one when Para was only selling frames. Yes that was a long time ago!
I should say I tried to build one. I took the parts from my working 45 Colt put
them on the Para frame. Would not function! Put part back on Colt, Colt worked fine.
I tried this several times. With the same results. Yes I know what the definition of insanity is!
So I took it to a gunsmith. He got it working just fine. With all new 1911 parts.
If you have some gun-smithing  skills! Which I do not.
I can tear them down and put them back together. But fitting parts. Not my thing.
As you know even drop-in parts, Are not all ways drop-in!
One other thing that I found with P-13(old style mags) The springs Para uses
are poor to say the lease. I changed mine over to Wolf Springs.
IMHO the mags work much better!
Good luck! Would love to know how it goes.
As well as a picture or two of the build.

PITA45

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Sarco has fully assembled Para LDA-style frames for sale for $300. They have double stack mag options as well.  Keep in mind you will need a Para/Clark/Lissner ramped barrel for the build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top