Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page
1/10/2020 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quote History
Quoted:
I've hit a 10" plate at 100 with a G42...

If you can't think of a reason why you would ever need to make a precise shot, I hope you never need to make one and you better learn the offsets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'm currently carrying a compact with big dot sights, so I can't make precise long range shots as it is. Nor do I need to. If it's that far out, it's not a big enough threat to me to shoot it, or it's such an overwhelming threat that I best just make a run for it.

I'm evaluating this from my perspective as a casual carrier of a compact pistol in the continental united states. Which of course applies to almost everyone else, as well.
I've hit a 10" plate at 100 with a G42...

If you can't think of a reason why you would ever need to make a precise shot, I hope you never need to make one and you better learn the offsets.
Above highlighted statement is interesting. That's a hell of a mindset to have.

I'm with you Dave. I shoot weekly and every range session has time devoted to the 100 yard steel. Although mine is a full sized steel  IDPA with the "C" zone as my goal.

The one I've been carrying daily for the past year.

Attached File
1/10/2020 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote History
Quoted:
Above highlighted statement is interesting. That's a hell of a mindset to have.

I'm with you Dave. I shoot weekly and every range session has time devoted to the 100 yard steel. Although mine is a full sized steel  IDPA with the "C" zone as my goal.

The one I've been carrying daily for the past year.
View Quote
Knowing what you can and can't do with your equipment is paramount. I'm dumbfounded when people say that they purposefully installed equipment that degrades their ability to make accurate hits. I've never heard anyone with Dawson adjustables say "I can't shoot fast with these."
1/10/2020 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Quoted:

Knowing what you can and can't do with your equipment is paramount. I'm dumbfounded when people say that they purposefully installed equipment that degrades their ability to make accurate hits. I've never heard anyone with Dawson adjustables say "I can't shoot fast with these."
View Quote
Have you noticed the closer shots are now pretty much boring and repetitive?  The closest I shoot is anymore is 15 yards, as I almost always  shoot steel.

I guess to each their own?
1/10/2020 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Quoted:
Have you noticed the closer shots are now pretty much boring and repetitive?  The closest I shoot is anymore is 15 yards, as I almost always  shoot steel.

I guess to each their own?
View Quote
I like to shoot at all distances. Speed is relative to the size of the target. I'd rather only use the distance as a calculation for any offsets/holds and shoot quickly at all distances regardless of target size, ensuring that making the necessary hit is made. I can shoot C zone all day, or even A zone if you want to tighten it up, but B8's make it more challenging.

I have backups on my gun, because if the dot fails, I can use the backup irons. Yes, you can make a minute of C zone hit at distance without a dot or irons, but having backup irons is a small price to pay for the ability to make precise hits in the event of failure. To me, that's worth it.

1/10/2020 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Quoted:

I like to shoot at all distances. Speed is relative to the size of the target. I'd rather only use the distance as a calculation for any offsets/holds and shoot quickly at all distances regardless of target size, ensuring that making the necessary hit is made. I can shoot C zone all day, or even A zone if you want to tighten it up, but B8's make it more challenging.

I have backups on my gun, because if the dot fails, I can use the backup irons. Yes, you can make a minute of C zone hit at distance without a dot or irons, but having backup irons is a small price to pay for the ability to make precise hits in the event of failure. To me, that's worth it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7891/40494730743_ffa24127fd_z.jpghttps://live.staticflickr.com/7905/46636311404_5e02222f91_z.jpg
View Quote
Attached File


+1 on everything said!
1/10/2020 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Quoted:

Is this with or without the sealing plate under the RMR? I’m about to order the same spec set for my slide for that Uber low cowitness.
View Quote
Sorry. Responded to the wrong person. Edited.
1/10/2020 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If I have to make a 100 yard shot on a moving target, and that just so happened to be the moment my RMR crapped out, then that's probably the universe telling me I need to book it on out of there.
1/10/2020 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

+1 on everything said!
View Quote
Amazing what people can do when they apply themselves, train, and are willing to learn!

Shooting past 25 has made some significant improvements to my overall shooting.  Taking a pistol out to 100 on steel is very gratifying.
1/10/2020 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:
If I have to make a 100 yard shot on a moving target, and that just so happened to be the moment my RMR crapped out, then that's probably the universe telling me I need to book it on out of there.
View Quote
You still don’t get it.

Can you hit the headbox of an IPSC target at 10 yards from concealment in 4 seconds? 3 seconds? 2 seconds?

The recent Texas church shooting is a prime example of making a precision shot at distance.
1/11/2020 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:

You still don’t get it.

Can you hit the headbox of an IPSC target at 10 yards from concealment in 4 seconds? 3 seconds? 2 seconds?

The recent Texas church shooting is a prime example of making a precision shot at distance.
View Quote
Don't know, never tried it. Hitting a real person in the head at 10 yards is pretty unrealistic, unless they're a geriatric or something.

The way I practice is drawing from concealment to the low position, then firing while moving back and transitioning to the high position, as fast as I can while still landing all shots in the A zone. I think my best time from concealment to first shot was 1.7 seconds. I feel like that's pretty good for an amateur.
1/11/2020 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Quoted:

Don't know, never tried it. Hitting a real person in the head at 10 yards is pretty unrealistic, unless they're a geriatric or something.

The way I practice is drawing from concealment to the low position, then firing while moving back and transitioning to the high position, as fast as I can while still landing all shots in the A zone. I think my best time from concealment to first shot was 1.7 seconds. I feel like that's pretty good for an amateur.
View Quote
Seriously, you've got to be trolling.

Have you heard the name Jack Wilson in the past few weeks?

The tech forums are for helping others gain knowledge or to share knowledge. I'm not sure what you're doing other than stirring the pot.

*CLICK*
1/11/2020 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quote History
Quoted:
Seriously, you've got to be trolling.

Have you heard the name Jack Wilson in the past few weeks?

The tech forums are for helping others gain knowledge or to share knowledge. I'm not sure what you're doing other than stirring the pot.

*CLICK*
View Quote
He already said he has no training and no experience with a red dot, and ignored every effort to convince him both of those things are extremely beneficial to learning how to shoot a pistol with an MRDS.  He always has an answer to everything, just hasn’t picked up that most of his answers are wrong.

He can’t make a shot on a moving target at 10 yards, but says using the body of the RMR and muscle memory is perfectly acceptable.  No back up irons needed if that dot goes down because that’s too hard to train for

Trolling at best.  At worst, willfully ignorant. Without question a liability with a gun.
1/11/2020 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
@Paladin556

That is with the sealing plate.
1/11/2020 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread makes my anxious to get my G17.5 back from Agency getting the AOS cut
1/12/2020 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quote History
Quoted:
This thread makes my anxious to get my G17.5 back from Agency getting the AOS cut
View Quote
I can’t wait to hear your feedback on it!
1/12/2020 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quote History
Quoted:

@Variable556

Those are the ones. I think I did a 0.125 rear notch and a 0.115 front post width. I'm very happy with the setup, have 3 or 4 milled RMR guns with them now.
View Quote
Sights now in hand.  Awaiting contact from KKM to get my barrel ordered, and still looking for a good RM-06 price.  Then off to milling.

Attached File


Attached File
1/12/2020 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I ordered the .305/.300 Dawson sights. I also ordered a SLR slide that’s milled at .130 for the RMR so it’ll still be acceptable.
1/13/2020 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#18]
@PrimaryMachine_Bruce

Here are my new Dawson .270's on a Primary Machine slide- these co-witness at nearly an identical "level" as the MOS guns do with Ameriglo 429's.

Needless to say, I am super happy with this combo.  The sights are there just enough to be usable, but don't take up a good portion of the window like the 429's did.

For those if you with milled setups, the .270's may be worth a look.

Attached File


Attached File
1/13/2020 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice, doesn't get anymore perfect than that for backup sights!
1/14/2020 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm liking the Dawson setup. Was thinking of doing fiber front and black rears. Yay/ nay?
1/14/2020 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:
@PrimaryMachine_Bruce

Here are my new Dawson .270's on a Primary Machine slide- these co-witness at nearly an identical "level" as the MOS guns do with Ameriglo 429's.

Needless to say, I am super happy with this combo.  The sights are there just enough to be usable, but don't take up a good portion of the window like the 429's did.

For those if you with milled setups, the .270's may be worth a look.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6045/D3D55103-BCCE-4928-96D0-4D072BD60955_jpeg-1232784.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6045/CAF5E6AE-D2DF-464B-B2CF-55349EEFDAC9_jpeg-1232785.JPG
View Quote
Nice. I just emailed Dawson to see if I could change my order.
1/14/2020 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Quoted:
@PrimaryMachine_Bruce

Here are my new Dawson .270's on a Primary Machine slide- these co-witness at nearly an identical "level" as the MOS guns do with Ameriglo 429's.

Needless to say, I am super happy with this combo.  The sights are there just enough to be usable, but don't take up a good portion of the window like the 429's did.

For those if you with milled setups, the .270's may be worth a look.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6045/D3D55103-BCCE-4928-96D0-4D072BD60955_jpeg-1232784.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6045/CAF5E6AE-D2DF-464B-B2CF-55349EEFDAC9_jpeg-1232785.JPG
View Quote
Were the sights an in stock item? I emailed Dawson and they told me the .270 height was custom order and would take 3-4 weeks. I went ahead and had them ship the .305 rear sight.
1/14/2020 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Quoted:

Were the sights an in stock item? I emailed Dawson and they told me the .270 height was custom order and would take 3-4 weeks. I went ahead and had them ship the .305 rear sight.
View Quote
I ordered it under the non-cowitness MOS category.

For some reason it was in stock there, but not under the "cowitness MOS sights", even though .270 was listed there too.
1/14/2020 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Quoted:
I'm liking the Dawson setup. Was thinking of doing fiber front and black rears. Yay/ nay?
View Quote
Personally with an optic, I prefer the least distracting irons possible.  That being said, its personal preference.
1/14/2020 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Quoted:

I ordered it under the non-cowitness MOS category.

For some reason it was in stock there, but not under the "cowitness MOS sights", even though .270 was listed there too.
View Quote
Shit. Oh well. Just got a tracking number for the .305”. Better than the .390” I have now I guess.
1/14/2020 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quote History
Quoted:
I'm liking the Dawson setup. Was thinking of doing fiber front and black rears. Yay/ nay?
View Quote
Black/black with optics.
1/14/2020 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds good. Thanks fellas
1/15/2020 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quote History
Quoted:

Train for all three, or do yourself a favor and don't use a MRDS on a defensive weapon.
View Quote
Thanks for the laugh.
1/15/2020 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the laugh.
View Quote
Read the other posts. That was in reference to 6GUNZ making stupid comments about RDS.
1/15/2020 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the laugh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Train for all three, or do yourself a favor and don't use a MRDS on a defensive weapon.
Thanks for the laugh.
How did you read that line without reading the statements made immediately before it??
1/17/2020 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Data point. Dawson .305 rear /.300 front on brownells g17 slide with RMR01 plus sealing plate. The slides milled lower than most other direct mill jobs so looks like I could have ran even shorter BUIS

1/17/2020 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quote History
Quoted:
Data point. Dawson .305 rear /.300 front on brownells g17 slide with RMR01 plus sealing plate. The slides milled lower than most other direct mill jobs so looks like I could have ran even shorter BUIS

https://i.imgur.com/ISAmvTk_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote
A set of .270 dawsons would be damn near perfect on that.
1/17/2020 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:

A set of .270 dawsons would be damn near perfect on that.
View Quote
Indeed.
1/19/2020 3:23:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I’m happy with the .305 rear. Much better than the .390.
1/19/2020 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quote History
Quoted:
@PrimaryMachine_Bruce

Here are my new Dawson .270's on a Primary Machine slide- these co-witness at nearly an identical "level" as the MOS guns do with Ameriglo 429's.

Needless to say, I am super happy with this combo.  The sights are there just enough to be usable, but don't take up a good portion of the window like the 429's did.

For those if you with milled setups, the .270's may be worth a look.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6045/D3D55103-BCCE-4928-96D0-4D072BD60955_jpeg-1232784.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6045/CAF5E6AE-D2DF-464B-B2CF-55349EEFDAC9_jpeg-1232785.JPG
View Quote
So is that front and rear .270 height or just the front? Also what’s your zero distance for those? I like the really low cowitness on that setup.
1/20/2020 1:36:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Quoted:

So is that front and rear .270 height or just the front? Also what’s your zero distance for those? I like the really low cowitness on that setup.
View Quote
The front should be like .250ish
1/20/2020 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quote History
Quoted:

The front should be like .250ish
View Quote
I did .270 for both.

All of my gen 5 guns require a front sight that is as high or slightly higher than the rear for a 20-25 yard zero with my duty ammo, so I went with the same principal for this gun.

Prior to the milling, it had a .250 rear with a .255 front.
1/21/2020 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#38]
What are the shortest sights that can be seen/used on a G19 MOS C&H plate with RMR or Holosun 507C?
Thanks
1/21/2020 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Quoted:

I did .270 for both.

All of my gen 5 guns require a front sight that is as high or slightly higher than the rear for a 20-25 yard zero with my duty ammo, so I went with the same principal for this gun.

Prior to the milling, it had a .250 rear with a .255 front.
View Quote
Thanks for the clarification. I might have to try that setup sometime. I do like a 25yd zero personally.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page