Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page
9/27/2026 8:51:04 PM EDT
Obviously not very practical but a lot of fun!  Just got the S&W 1854 in 357, and Silencerco Hybrid 46.  I took them out for a spin today.  Crazy quiet and quick to shoot with a red dot.  

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS MATTER
9/27/2026 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I enjoy loading 38s for my wife's revolver trio. but my suppressed rifle is a tc contender with a delightful trigger. I have to make some subsonic for it and will use 158 jfp at 1050. .357mag
9/27/2026 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking at doing this at some point. Do .38s of all types cycle OK in .357 lever guns? Including those flat wadcutters, which I would think would be really quiet.

Also, genuine question.....why the S&W?
9/27/2026 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Originally Posted By StylesBitchley:
Looking at doing this at some point. Do .38s of all types cycle OK in .357 lever guns? Including those flat wadcutters, which I would think would be really quiet.

Also, genuine question.....why the S&W?
View Quote

I like the long rail, and the stainless frame and barrel with the black nitride finish, kind of the best of both worlds.  And no goofy skeletonized stock.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS MATTER
9/27/2026 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Originally Posted By StylesBitchley:
Looking at doing this at some point. Do .38s of all types cycle OK in .357 lever guns? Including those flat wadcutters, which I would think would be really quiet.

Also, genuine question.....why the S&W?
View Quote

If you are talking about flush wadcutters I can't imagine you'd get those to cycle. Seems like most are using RNFP or just RN bullets.
BikerNut:
Normal people like motorcycles. Real people like motorcycles.

People who don't like motorcycles are just... weird.
9/27/2026 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

If you are talking about flush wadcutters I can't imagine you'd get those to cycle. Seems like most are using RNFP or just RN bullets.
View Quote

Snap caps with the same shape as flush wadcutters will cycle in my gun.  But I admit I've only done it 6 or 8 times or so.  

Today I was using 158 grain round nose FMJ and they cycled with zero issues.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS MATTER
9/27/2026 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like fun.
9/27/2026 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Originally Posted By LUZCANNON:
I enjoy loading 38s for my wife's revolver trio. but my suppressed rifle is a tc contender with a delightful trigger. I have to make some subsonic for it and will use 158 jfp at 1050. .357mag
View Quote

I'm kind of wishing I hadn't sold my Contender when I got my BFR.

All I had was a .45-70 barrel, and I liked that one that much more.
WARNING-this post contains words or thoughts that may at some point be discovered by the state of California to cause cancer.
9/27/2026 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Been eyeing the Marlin .357 trapper and kinda decided today to hold off.  Now I'm back on.
Get both is the answer.
9/27/2026 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Attached File

This is the way.
9/27/2026 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Been trying to decide between a .357 lever action or the Henry 300 blackout lever action.

9/27/2026 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Colt1860:

Snap caps with the same shape as flush wadcutters will cycle in my gun.  But I admit I've only done it 6 or 8 times or so.  

Today I was using 158 grain round nose FMJ and they cycled with zero issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By Colt1860:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

If you are talking about flush wadcutters I can't imagine you'd get those to cycle. Seems like most are using RNFP or just RN bullets.

Snap caps with the same shape as flush wadcutters will cycle in my gun.  But I admit I've only done it 6 or 8 times or so.  

Today I was using 158 grain round nose FMJ and they cycled with zero issues.

I've never tried it. Nothing to lose by trying I just wouldn't stockpile a bunch beforehand. Would be pretty handy with the short oal.
BikerNut:
Normal people like motorcycles. Real people like motorcycles.

People who don't like motorcycles are just... weird.
9/27/2026 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got one, and have been eyeing a deal I found locally on a Lee 1000 progressive reloading setup.

Should this be the jump to get into reloading?
9/27/2026 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Favorite thing to shoot lately is subsonic 44spcl out of a lever rifle. I load them below book minimum and they are Hollywood quiet.
[Insert creative words here]
9/27/2026 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]
The Lee 1000 has a reputation for being finicky and needing some tuning. I'd recommend a Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press. It's very straight-forward. Not the ideal high volume press, but I used one for several years to feed pistols for IDPA and USPSA.


Quote History
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Just got one, and have been eyeing a deal I found locally on a Lee 1000 progressive reloading setup.

Should this be the jump to get into reloading?
View Quote

9/27/2026 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes. So much awesomeness.

Ditch the rails though.


Attached File
9/27/2026 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Subsonic 44 magnum is where its at.

Attached File
1Andy2: it's just a question of if we decide to stop throwing coal in the furnace and lean on the brakes or if we're going to blow the boiler up getting to Full Retard'sville.
9/27/2026 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#17]
180gr Cast Core or another type of WFNGC boolit with a minimal load of Red Dot or such (and possibly a cardboard filler) and see the pills fly down range at exactly 1000fps and with almost no report.

Been there, done that - delicious and scary quiet. Heavy pills tend to be pretty accurate in my Rossi with the threaded barrel.

FYI: I managed to bring my levergun to the range the same day the LGS had supressors to show off.
3rd generation NRA life member
Screw it... just pass me another cup of coffee and to hell with Joe
9/27/2026 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Love it
I need one
I wouldn't stand in front of a piss-filled supersoaker. Does that make it a good pistol? - Caboose314
I thought I was covered for 22 cans, but the NFAids is a bitch when it mutates - themagikbullet
9/27/2026 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I know reloads, especially if not crimped, don’t work worth crap on a lever gun. ALA gun show reloads.
Yesterday 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Being able to launch 158 grs quietly is always practical!
a loaded gun won’t set you free, so you say…
Yesterday 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I suppressed a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 because I could. 'Murica!  

With 400gr subsonic it's hearing safe and just under 1100 ft-lbs at the muzzle.
Yesterday 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Attached File


Just got my RUGGED OBSIDIAN 45 can't wait to shoot it
Yesterday 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Originally Posted By StylesBitchley:
Looking at doing this at some point. Do .38s of all types cycle OK in .357 lever guns? Including those flat wadcutters, which I would think would be really quiet.

Also, genuine question.....why the S&W?
View Quote



I've never tried wadcutters, but SWC .38s cycle in my Rossi.  The Winchester not so much; it'll cycle them, but kinda janky.  The Winchester is built on the 94 action and is kind of clunky with short pistol cartridges (better with the magnum cartridges than the specials in .357 and .44 in my experience) while the smaller 92, 73, etc and the small receiver Marlins handle them fine.  Haven't tried a Smith yet, the Henrys I've shot were OK, but I didn't care for them.
Yesterday 4:32:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Originally Posted By FerrousDueler:
The Lee 1000 has a reputation for being finicky and needing some tuning. I'd recommend a Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press. It's very straight-forward. Not the ideal high volume press, but I used one for several years to feed pistols for IDPA and USPSA.



View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By FerrousDueler:
The Lee 1000 has a reputation for being finicky and needing some tuning. I'd recommend a Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press. It's very straight-forward. Not the ideal high volume press, but I used one for several years to feed pistols for IDPA and USPSA.


Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Just got one, and have been eyeing a deal I found locally on a Lee 1000 progressive reloading setup.

Should this be the jump to get into reloading?



Good to know, thank you.
Yesterday 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Bought a Chiappa take down.  It is stupid fun.  This thread reminds me that I need to take it out some more!
Yesterday 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I have the Marlin 1894 SBL 357/38 with a YHM R9 can and a Vortex Viper red dot.  It's BB gun quiet with 38spl 158 gr. and .357 158gr is hearing safe.  

With the sun just right to your back you can see the bullet going to the target.  It's the most fun gun I own.


Marlin 1894 SBL 357/38
I love a good double entendre.
Yesterday 8:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN][Edited] [#27]
Quote History
Originally Posted By StylesBitchley:
Looking at doing this at some point. Do .38s of all types cycle OK in .357 lever guns? Including those flat wadcutters, which I would think would be really quiet.

Also, genuine question.....why the S&W?
View Quote

Not in my m92
Eta, but 158gr swc work fine
Do Good
Be Dangerous
Live Free
Yesterday 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I find my 357 rifle highly practical

Should bust it out again
Yesterday 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#29]
To get the quietest lever action ammo you need to use the fastest possible powder (bullseye works great), smallest case volume (use spl brass, not magnum brass), and the lightest/slickest bullet (cheap plated bullets or powder coated lead to avoid leading up your silencer).  The slower the muzzle velocity the quieter, don't be afraid to load down to 900fps.  
The difference between this and factory ammo or reloads with heavier bullets and slower powders is amazing.
Yesterday 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice.

I really want to try a suppressed 38 revolver.
Please help St Jude children's hospital.
Yesterday 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Cowboy Action loads, very light bullet and very light charge of Trail Boss, give very quiet 38 Special loads unsuppressed.  

Use a suppressor and they are even quieter.
Yesterday 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
Nice.

I really want to try a suppressed 38 revolver.
View Quote

Attached File

Are there any sealed .38 revolvers?
Yesterday 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
Nice.

I really want to try a suppressed 38 revolver.
View Quote

One of our members put a suppressor on a threaded Heritage .22.

He said the extra backpressure at the cylinder gap made it louder with the can than without.
WARNING-this post contains words or thoughts that may at some point be discovered by the state of California to cause cancer.
Yesterday 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quote History
Originally Posted By fournines:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138630/20260924_160000_jpg-3833832.JPG

Just got my RUGGED OBSIDIAN 45 can't wait to shoot it
View Quote


Please let us know how it goes. I have an Obsidian 9 I want to put on a .357/.38 lever action. Considering changing the endcap to a .45.
Yesterday 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Shit a buddies last year
Stupid quiet and loads of fun
PROUD AMMOSEXUAL
Founding father Tench Coxe
“Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American."
Yesterday 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Lots of fun.  Ive had mine for many years.  Always a fav when at the range.
10% for the BIG GUY
Yesterday 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm toying with the idea of selling a fal that doesn't get shot almost ever to pick up a marlin in .357 just for silenced plinking purposes.

My friend has one and it's a hoot to shoot.
"Freedom is a messy business." - LaRue_Tactical

I am a sack of blood, held together by un-tanned leather. . .
Yesterday 10:39:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter][Edited] [#38]
In general, 38's cycle fine in most lever guns.  You may need to scrub the bore after shooting or 357's might stick a little afterwards.  Subsonic 38's are super fun to shoot out of a suppressed lever gun.  Recoil feels like a 22lr.  Honestly, one of the highest grin factor guns I own.  I smile every time I pull the trigger.  Have used them on hogs, DRT - but shot placement is almost beyond critical (close range head shots).

That said, looking forward to playing with subs out of my 44.  If the twist is correct, you can even do subsonic 44 magnums.  Not cost efficient, but almost Goverment 45/70 power levels (400gr 44mag bullets at 1,000 fps).  Have only shot 44 special subs out of it so far.  Almost as quiet as the 38's.
Yesterday 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
That said, looking forward to playing with subs out of my 44.  If the twist is correct, you can even do subsonic 44 magnums.  
View Quote
I've shot thousands of 200-240-300 grain subsonic rounds around 900fps from a 30 inch twist rossi and a fair number from a 38 inch twist marlin through a hybrid.  Never had a stability issue with any type of bullet.
Yesterday 12:49:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcr308][Edited] [#40]
I’ve got a marlin 357 and it will feed wad cutters
Attached File
Yesterday 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quote History
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
In general, 38's cycle fine in most lever guns.  You may need to scrub the bore after shooting or 357's might stick a little afterwards.  Subsonic 38's are super fun to shoot out of a suppressed lever gun.  Recoil feels like a 22lr.  Honestly, one of the highest grin factor guns I own.  I smile every time I pull the trigger.  Have used them on hogs, DRT - but shot placement is almost beyond critical (close range head shots).

That said, looking forward to playing with subs out of my 44.  If the twist is correct, you can even do subsonic 44 magnums.  Not cost efficient, but almost Goverment 45/70 power levels (400gr 44mag bullets at 1,000 fps).  Have only shot 44 special subs out of it so far.  Almost as quiet as the 38's.
View Quote

What is a better suppressed lever gun host? 38/357 OR 44?
Yesterday 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quote History
Originally Posted By bcr308:
I’ve got a marlin 357 and it will feed wad cutters
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2974/IMG_5799_jpeg-3833970.JPG
View Quote

Like straight up Wadcutters or semi wadcutters?

Attached File
BikerNut:
Normal people like motorcycles. Real people like motorcycles.

People who don't like motorcycles are just... weird.
Yesterday 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
What is a better suppressed lever gun host? 38/357 OR 44?
View Quote
For lowest noise?  
All else being equal, smaller bore and smaller case volume will always be quieter.  
Yesterday 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Nine Millimeter Luger I might be a buyer.  38s are in the house, but 9mm is cheap.
Yesterday 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quote History
Originally Posted By shack357:

I'm kind of wishing I hadn't sold my Contender when I got my BFR.

All I had was a .45-70 barrel, and I liked that one that much more.
View Quote


the trigger is why I like it.
I have a short threaded .22lr and. 357. also a 45lc/410. im considering a
223 that will also be threaded and suppressed
Yesterday 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Vaquero45:

Been trying to decide between a .357 lever action or the Henry 300 blackout lever action.

View Quote

.357 would be cheaper to shoot and .38 spl is really easy to reload.
A .357 mag would have no problem killing a deer around 100 yds, maybe a little further.

I would probably go with the .357 since I already have the ammo and several revolvers in .357 mag and .38 spl.
Let's go Brandon!

Everything you need to know about the left was on display during covid . -RC03
Yesterday 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499242/IMG_1710_jpeg-3833899.JPG
Are there any sealed .38 revolvers?
View Quote

Nagant 1895 in 7.62x38
Let's go Brandon!

Everything you need to know about the left was on display during covid . -RC03
Yesterday 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#48]
This makes me want to look into getting my Model 94's barrel threaded....
Your boos mean nothing, I've seen what makes you cheer
Yesterday 3:30:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glck1911][Edited] [#49]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Vaquero45:

Been trying to decide between a .357 lever action or the Henry 300 blackout lever action.

View Quote


It's seriously hard to appreciate how handy a .357 levergun is (especially in the 1894 or 92 action) until you carry one around the woods for a while. They are just so handy, fun, and practical.

One of the great things about them is how easy they are to carry in your hand.  Having a magazine right where your hand wraps the receiver kind of kills that.  

Those .300 blk Henrys are cool though.

That being said, I've been seriously tempted to get a Henry Long Ranger with it's flush magazine and chop the barrel down to 12" or so.
Yesterday 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Just out shooting it today

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page