Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/24/2016 9:36:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Forest]
Imagine this:

Your hometown has suddenly become a desolate wasteland.  What's left of the world is in total chaos.  The government has fallen and it is everyone for themselves for survival.  You did your best to prepare for this day but at the moment of truth, you came home to find your carefully collected and maintained arms entirely inaccessible.  You slide sideways into the parking lot of the local gun store and run inside.  You find your favorite model of the following brands sitting on the shelf:

BCM, Colt, DD, FN, KAC, LaRue, LMT, LWRC, Noveske

Which do you grab if you can only grab ONE (no one to pay so money no object)?  The scenario calls for a decision to be made.  If you can't wrap your head around leaving perfectly good rifles behind as a matter of practicality, then the question is which one of those would you hope most to find on the shelf?  Remember, this is not a question of bang for the buck.  This is the ultimate factory built survival gun that would travel with you to hell and back to save you, your family, and countless beautiful women.  

I would imagine if none of those struck your fancy you could go to the dollar store and pick up a RRA, S&W, Windhqm, or PSA.  I can't imagine you still not being satisfied but if you MUST have a piston gun you could choose between any model from HK, LWRC, Sig, or even PWS.

Humanity is depending on you.  Choose wisely!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
KAC-Game over
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
KAC and a Suppressor.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
KAC
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If I couldn't get to my own rifle? I'd grab the LaRue.

He's one of us, so it's be like having a friend at my side.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: survivorman] [#5]
Good luck on replacement parts........especially your bolts, they do not recommend using others.

For the zombie apocalypse?  Any of the other 50 kazillion ARs out there, as long as it zeros Im good.

Not that they are not rifles I just don't like proprietary parts.

But but but the seals use them
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SD307] [#6]
Larue
I would rather have a RRA with a 2stage NM trigger than a factory colt.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:46:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By survivorman:
Good luck on replacement parts........especially your bolts, they do not recommend using others.

For the zombie apocalypse?  Any of the other 50 kazillion ARs out there, as long as it zeros Im good.

View Quote

Maybe you should try one.  Buy quality and you won't need to replace your bolt.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Super technical.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Kac
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]
LaRue
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Larue, then KAC or BCM, and on down the list.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By chenault:
KAC-Game over
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#13]
If DD would make the V7 Pro as a 16", I would take that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
LWRCI IC, use what you practice with
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#15]
fn or colt or mattel
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thisisdudewhoru] [#16]
I guess in the absolute shit, I'd probably grab a colt or larue. The proprietary bolt in kac, if it were to fail, there wouldn't be any replacing it, leaving you rifle less.

No matter how small a chance, it's possible for it to break.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd grab my Noveske 16" Light Recce, Basic VIS.  Runner up is my A1 clone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:43:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#18]
Originally Posted By thisisdudewhoru:
I guess in the absolute shit, I'd probably grab a colt or larue. The proprietary bolt in kac, if it were to fail, there wouldn't be any replacing it, leaving you rifle less.

View Quote

I realize that these threads turn into a defend your own purchase thread.  

With that said, if a KAC bolt wears out or breaks it would be the first one that I've ever heard of.  On the flip side I would choose it because when my life is on the line from---Zombies I suppose, I would want something that is more reliable and durable than a general rifle would be.  

Since this is a technical thread, I would choose a KAC bolt for these reasons

-The bolt is thicker at the cam pin

-The cam pin is slightly tapered which allows for durability

-Dual spring extractor

-Greater radius of transition from the bolt lugs to the bolt body

These are all the failure points of a normal bolt.  

If I remember right KAC offers a 20k round warranty on their bolts.

I hate quoting Travis Haley but he had one that was going 60,000 strong when he finally sent it in.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:10:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#19]
HK 416 hands down.... many agencies around the wored put thousands of rounds through them, plus hk reliability is well known. Just a couple reasons. Backup would be larue Obrien 7.62. Weight is not an issue
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Been around the block twice......KAC
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Everything wears out.

Anything mechanical can and will fail.

Anything made by the hands of man is failable.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd  go with the LaRue,.........but budget, the fact that I'd probably not be driving by a gun shop at  just the right time, and funds being what they are I'd have to probably stick with my (home assembled) RRA, (Home assembled) Delton, and Pre Ban Bushy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
KAC-Game over

Yep
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Stupid thread is stupid!!  IBTM
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoting Pat Rogers in reference to the bcm - eag tactical hs carbine "it's a great gun, it's a lightweight gun, it's a controllable gun ... I don't know why you need anything more"
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a handy 6920. Tried and true.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:49:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thisisdudewhoru] [#27]

With that said, if a KAC bolt wears out or breaks it would be the first one that I've ever heard of.  On the flip side I would choose it because when my life is on the line from---Zombies I suppose, I would want something that is more reliable and durable than a general rifle would be.  

-Dual spring extractor

I hate quoting Travis Haley but he had one that was going 60,000 strong when he finally sent it in.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thisisdudewhoru:

-Dual spring extractor

Don't get me wrong, they're wonderful rifles. I've had 3 and still have 1. I've also had larues that I've sold. Still have a couple bcm, colt and DD.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By army11b:
fn or colt or mattel
View Quote

Mattel was my first.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Colt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By prskiller:
Colt.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Um.....AK....

*runs and hides*

KAC - why would I want a gun with a boot that's not recommended to be interchangeable with standard AR bolts?  That's crazy to me.

I'll take any AR that hasn't previously jammed on me. As in, all of my relatively cheap AR's. Why do some think they have to spend big to get something that works reliably?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#32]
The only reason why KAC isn't number one on this poll is because a lot of people don't own one.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:17:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Phildo] [#33]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Everything wears out.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Everything wears out.

KAC E3 bolts run the highest round count before failure / breakage ... kind of says a lot of this proprietary rifle.  In the event the bolt or barrel does break (the only propriety items on KAC rifles) I would just swap out uppers in an emergency / zombie scenario.  Or just keep another bolt handy. (The carrier can be a standard BCG, just the bolt itself is the expensive, proprietary item)
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By topdeputy08:
Imagine this:

Your hometown has suddenly become a desolate wasteland.  What's left of the world is in total chaos.  The government has fallen and it is everyone for themselves for survival.  You did your best to prepare for this day but at the moment of truth, you came home to find your carefully collected and maintained arms entirely inaccessible.  You slide sideways into the parking lot of the local gun store and run inside.  You find your favorite model of the following brands sitting on the shelf:

BCM, Colt, DD, FN, KAC, LaRue, LMT, LWRC, Noveske

Which do you grab if you can only grab ONE (no one to pay so money no object)?  The scenario calls for a decision to be made.  If you can't wrap your head around leaving perfectly good rifles behind as a matter of practicality, then the question is which one of those would you hope most to find on the shelf?  Remember, this is not a question of bang for the buck.  This is the ultimate factory built survival gun that would travel with you to hell and back to save you, your family, and countless beautiful women.  

I would imagine if none of those struck your fancy you could go to the dollar store and pick up a RRA, S&W, Windhqm, or PSA.  I can't imagine you still not being satisfied but if you MUST have a piston gun you could choose between any model from HK, LWRC, Sig, or even PWS.

Humanity is depending on you.  Choose wisely!
View Quote

Of the ones mentioned, the only one I have personally seen at the Dollar Store (Walmart), is Colt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By GoRebels:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Whatever I could find with a zombie/biohazard etched lower or green furniture.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#37]
DD, since that is what I have.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:11:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#38]
Originally Posted By GoRebels:
View Quote

True.  Just a beauty contest fanboy thread.

Any of them would serve well and none is clearly superior to the others.  Frankly, given the high level of reliability of most ARs today, I doubt anything as plain or simple as a S&W M&P 15 Sport 2 would be any less reliable.  I voted for the inexpensive catch all group.

Don't get me wrong.  High end ARs have their purposes.  I have a bit over $2000 in a precision build.  But apocalypse reliability for a fighting gun can now be had for far less money that those individual ones listed higher up in the poll.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#39]

I picked Larue.

I would have picked Colt, but I would want to be able to hit what I was aiming at.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#40]
This one

BCM 16" Socom upper on a Spikes lower I built, or this one

BCM 16" CHF middy, again on a Spikes lower.

I'd grab my 6920 last, mainly because I like the trigger on the other 2 first.

I would find a can ASAP
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I guess this one will have to do since my BCM 11.5" SBR still hasn't been approved.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Jpl85295:
Um.....AK....

*runs and hides*

KAC - why would I want a gun with a boot that's not recommended to be interchangeable with standard AR bolts?  That's crazy to me.

I'll take any AR that hasn't previously jammed on me. As in, all of my relatively cheap AR's. Why do some think they have to spend big to get something that works reliably?
View Quote

Because you get to pay a lot more and tell everyone you know (and some you don't) that you own a KAC product?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Mr 58posts has a pocket full of money and no AR..

KAC.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Phildo:
The only reason why KAC isn't number one on this poll is because a lot of people don't own one.
View Quote

I have never owned one and never will simply because I don't like proprietary parts on my "go to" rifles.

Shit happens and things break.  When that happens I want to be able to easily replace them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Doesn't matter, shoot until no more rounds, use as club to fight my way to more gun/ammo.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd be happy with any of the  manufacturers in the OP. Any of them will probably last longer than I will in SHTF. If I have to make a choice, it will be BCM, or LWRC. Whichever one I recognize first is the one I grab. The only reason I narrow it down to those two is that those are the ones I have shot the most without issues.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KBullet] [#48]
ONE Battle rifle?
Ammo's not a factor? Got plenty of mags and parts?
Probs have to go with a 7.62
Grab the LaRue 7.62 PredatOBR and a Swarovski Z8i or SB 1x8 ShortDot.
Run out the door saying "put em on my tab, I've got work to do!"
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: topdeputy08] [#49]
@ KBullet reference having work to do

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SD307:

I would rather have a RRA with a 2stage NM trigger than a factory colt.
View Quote

That way you'll be guaranteed double taps, even when you're trying to squeeze off a single.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top