Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 10:24:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator]
2 pucks.

Had to take my dad to a pharmacy this afternoon to get some billing issues resolved and while I was in there noticed that they had both Williams Mug Shaving Soap ($1.29 each) and Wilkinson Sword blades ($1) so I grabbed two of each.

I am going to give this soap another shot: long bloom time in very hot water and an Omega boar brush.

If it doesn't work I'll just use it for hand soap.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used it a few years ago and couldn't get it to lather up very thick.  I heard they changed the formula a while back.  I really like the smell of the soap but probably won't ever use it again.  I'm sure there are a lot of old times that still use it on a regular basis since its cheap and can find it at many pharmacies and grocery stores.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd just like to have the satisfaction of saying "Yes, you CAN get Williams to lather."

Going to shave tonight and Williams is the chosen soap. If it doesn't work I'll just toss it in the soap dish and use one of 1,304 other shaving soaps at my disposal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:55:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#3]
This video was made a year ago using the present formulation. An alternative to the plastic mug is to soak the puck for a while in very hot water then hold the puck in your hand and load the brush and then lather in a bowl.

Williams Mug Shaving Soap vs Safety and Straight Razor !

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The Result? Yes, you can make very creamy lather from current production Williams.

Bloom it in very hot water for maybe 5 minutes and after dumping the water load the tips of a well shaken-out brush. Do not start too wet you can always add a bit of water later. I loaded the brush with the puck in my hand then went straight to the face.

Lather is very slick. I used a so-so Wilkinson Sword blade; had I used an Astra or Voskhod I'd have had better results.

Will this soap be in my regular rotation? Probably not but I have a new-found respect for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Last time I used it a few years ago I could not get it to lather very well, but I don't think I bloomed it.  I may have to buy a puck and give it a try again.  I think I got a puck at Kroger and it was like $1.29 about 5 or 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread cost me $1.19, got a puck at my local IGA.  I been using it the past 3 shaves and i got a super nice thick lather.  The lather is nice and thick, but it still will start to dry on my face within a minute if you don't shave it off.  Thats my main problem with it, the soap lather starting to dry on your face within a minute.  I think this soap is just ivory soap, smells just like it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're going to invest in some bottom basement shaving soap get a couple of sticks of Arko not Williams.

If you insist on trying Williams then purchase only one puck.

Also Williams has a faint, funky "off" scent compared to Arko. If you had both you'd be able to see what I'm trying to describe.

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I started to get some of this stuff, local drug store had them for $0.5/puck.

haven't tried arko so nothing to compare to but I'm fairly smell sensitive.. if you say it's off putting I may skip it even at that price
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Try an Arko stick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top