BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2019 7:12:43 AM EDT
With all of the current legislation being foisted on the general public, there
seems to be one weapon that has been conveniently ignored. The venerable
shotgun. Cries of bans emanate from the crowd for the evil black rifle, but
my shotgun and I feel pretty safe.

It doesn't matter that the shogun was used in the latest NZ attack in order to
take down their door security, or in the second mosque attack. It doesn't matter
that the attacker was repelled by someone who also chose a shotgun to defend
the mosque from further violence.

Parkland shooting, AR, and cries for bans. Santa Fe school shooting, and no fervor.
Weapon of choice in Santa Fe? Shotgun.

When it all hits the fan
Original 'Hobo With A Shotgun' Trailer
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Only  after this Mod

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It will not be fun carrying all of that ammo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Stretchman:

When it all hits the fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnw8VLXOXVs
View Quote
This video needs its own thread.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Nah. I don't see the 12ga being the weapon of the zombie apocalypse.  Too few rounds and slow loading... unless you're using a 12ga with a high capacity magazing or something similar, which obviously isn't allowed in communist states.  You're still not going to get a good maximum effective range out of it.  Even with slugs which lose 60 percent of its energy by about 100 yards.  Not really my cup of tea, but to each their own. I think there's too many other options out there, including pistol caliber carbines.  Something is better than nothing though, and anything beats throwing rocks and using sling shots.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
If Dying Light has taught me anything, it's this:

The person who survives the zombie apocalypse won't be the person with the biggest gun, and it won't be the person with the most ammo.   It'll be the person with the most fire.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I would carry a pistol and rifle combo for hunting and human garbage but also have an appropriate edged weapon; ie sword, axe, polearm, etc. for the zombies. You can only carry so much ammo and an edged weapon never needs reloading.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:53:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mojo7:
I would carry a pistol and rifle combo for hunting and human garbage but also have an appropriate edged weapon; ie sword, axe, polearm, etc. for the zombies. You can only carry so much ammo and an edged weapon never needs reloading.
View Quote
edged weapons do require resharpening though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 7:14:14 AM EDT
[#8]
When I first saw the Hobo With A Shotgun trailer I thought you meant this one with Rutger Hauer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssHEAOrAdCU
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#9]
It was a good movie, but lacked some of the energy of the original trailer.

If Biden gets elected, it may be the only weapon we'll be allowed to keep.

inside of 200 yards, it does ok with slugs.

How Far Will a 12 Gauge Shotgun Kill?
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I think a 12g is the perfect weapon for a long term solution.

You can push out old primers and replace with odd calibers, use the bullets for projectiles.

Get a few subcaliber devices.

Like I said though for long, long term solutions.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:06:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kar98k] [#11]
The 22 rifle/pistol,  baseball bat, and short spear with metal point would become standard anti-zombie weapons.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#12]
A 410 would be better
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#13]
lol. Depends on what the criteria is to render a zombie mission inoperable. If it's simply brain trama, ive got a sub2k with a drum mag and a few funsticks for that. Light weight and there will always be plenty of nine lying around thanks to the fbi. If i need complete cranial destruction, maybe a shotty will come into play. Youll find plenty of 12 in police cars. Still, cant help but to think a rifle caliber is better suited in the latter scenario. Its probably fine for static defense, but carrying any significant load of 12ga over land is going to make for a shitty day.

If you have one, shoot it dry, drop it and run like hell.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm happy with an AR-15, more accurate for headshots and lighter ammo for carrying a lot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Hut8] [#15]
Originally Posted By Snozberry:
there will always be plenty of nine lying around thanks to the fbi.....

Youll find plenty of 12 in police cars
View Quote
I have often heard people say that they want to go with 5.56/9mm because that is what MIL and LEO have.   If SHTF they will resupply by looting police cars or military vehicles.    I strongly doubt that MIL or LEO will leave ammo to be scavenged and I also doubt that they will be resupplying civilians.    If history is any teacher, then if you don’t have it before the SHTF then you most likely find it REALLY difficult to acquire any during the SHTF.    I believe that advocating anything else is irresponsible.   And maybe that isn’t what you meant.    But I can tell you first hand that 9mm was hard to get in 2008 and it was really hard to get in 2012 through 2013.   I cannot image what it would be like in a real crisis.   Stock up on it now if that is what you will depend on.   Just saying.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Stretchman:
It was a good movie, but lacked some of the energy of the original trailer.

If Biden gets elected, it may be the only weapon we'll be allowed to keep.

inside of 200 yards, it does ok with slugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F42Bsc8YtnU
View Quote
You going to let someone else determine what you're armed with?  

Nick
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]
22lr suppressed. Should go through rotten skulls easy enough and I can carry enough ammo that would last me the rest of my life in one way or another.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't be That Guy that brings up Birdshot, please.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]
If really a zombie apocalypse, and not just a shtf then I don't know how you could go wrong with a suppressed 22lr.  All you need is a head shot.  You can carry 10x the ammo of most any other caliber and suppressed is quiet enough to fire for long periods of time without hearing loss.  A sword or long machete would be a must as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Minuteman419:
Don't be That Guy that brings up Birdshot, please.
View Quote

OH, snap! TOO late, man... YOU just did!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:49:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I would go with the 10/22
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Zombies, tons of single quiet head shots is the answer, stack those zombie bastards like cord wood, i vote supressed 1022 ( maybe add a bolt action also) & a million rounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GunDisaster:
I'm happy with an AR-15, more accurate for headshots and lighter ammo for carrying a lot.
View Quote

Don't forget old school AR's have bayonet lugs, so potentially built in spear/backup weapon.

But if head shots are the only option, and you only need them at relatively short distances.  .22LR is a good choice.
Small & light gun, small & light ammo, and likely the most supply unless you are sitting on a military supply depot.

The usual comparison we see is you can get 2 5.56mm rounds for the size & weight of 1 7.62mm.  
I bet you can get 4 or 5 .22LR rounds for the size & weight of 1 5.56mm round.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I don’t know what ammo you have but though I have 500 rounds of 7.5 I only have 50-75 rounds of buck.  I think you need buck to take out the brain stem on Z’s?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#25]
The ability to more easily manufacture new ammunition for shotgun shells would be the main benefit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:42:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#26]
Originally Posted By kar98k:
The 22 rifle/pistol,  baseball bat, and short spear with metal point would become standard anti-zombie weapons.
View Quote

This.  If you just need to scramble the noggin of the slow moving "undead", .22LR will do fine, and you can carry a SHITLOAD of ammo for the weight of 12 gauge rounds.

On the other hand, if you have the hyperspeed amp'ed zombies or living but infected (28 days later), THEN  the 12 shotgun would come into it's own best zone by severe destruction of the head, even on fast moving elusive targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top