Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2022 4:18:10 AM EDT
What is the consensus on storing your shooting irons while deployed?

If you don't have a buddy/family situation you can trust - do you store with other household goods? Do you trust options the military might offer?  

I am now retired military but working a lot overseas. The only family I can trust is not in a stable living situation - tends to move around for work - so I don't want to burden him with a lot of stuff. The rest of my family are closer to the blue end of the political spectrum.

If you aren't interested in talking about your decision - can you say what your "friends" do in this situation?
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 5:23:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
My buddy still has one of his gun safes in my basement.  He'll take it back once he's done with apartments and buys a house or condo.

If I had no one to rely on, I'd probably just find a good storage place - indoors, climate controlled, keycard access 24/7/365, internet cameras - and store there, separately from my other stuff.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
If I had no one to rely on, I'd probably just find a good storage place - indoors, climate controlled, keycard access 24/7/365, internet cameras - and store there, separately from my other stuff.
View Quote

I have done that in a pinch - but just about all self-storage places don't allow firearms to be stored because they want to be able to auction off the contents if/when the tenant fails to pay rent for some specified period of time. If there are firearms the management would have to look through everything, find the guns, and get an FFL involved to handle those items. Lots of hassle and often not worth the trouble.

Yeah, I know that anybody who has some valuable firearms in storage would never knowingly miss a payment - when I had to go this route I paid annually to reduce the risk that somehow a payment was missed - but this is just how the business model works for storage places.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:25:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alexA2] [#4]
You can also get insurance, there are types that let you insure every rifle and accessory so you can get back what you put into Incase something should happen while your away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top