Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2021 11:42:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ruark]
I'm not a Mason, but may be some day.  Many people wonder, what do Masons actually DO at a routine meeting? Eat? Listen to speeches? Watch videos? Sit around and chat?  

What do you talk about? I've often read that you do NOT talk about religion or politics, for example.  So you wouldn't have any conversation about Trump or Biden's policies, or how Kamala Harris is a stupid bubblehead?  Would you talk about BLM and Antifa being terrorist organizations, or the "woke police" because that's "politics"?  Are members generally expected to have conservative political beliefs, e.g. being pro-2A, anti-LBGQT, pro-Republican, etc.? Yes, I'm very conservative, but just trying to get more of a real-life understanding of what Masons do besides "become better men."

How strictly do most lodges follow the requirement that members wear suits at meetings? I've seen some lodge pictures with everybody in suits, and some with guys in t-shirts, cargo shorts and sneakers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:48:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: juslearnin] [#1]
Oops thought this was gd
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Im not a mason. But do know my father has never wore suit
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 12:54:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:46:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EP429] [#4]
Medicmandan covered the bases pretty well there.
What part of Texas are you from?
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Okay, Ill bite .......... what is it?
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 4:05:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#6]
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

Filet mignon topped with onion rings filled with garlic mashed potatoes.  Demi glaze and asparagus.  Greek salad preceded that with a berry and mascarpone dessert.
View Quote
Classy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 4:37:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: diggerwolf] [#8]
I can't improve on medicmandan's response except to say that there is no discernable dress code for stated meetings at my blue lodge in north Texas. Most guys show up in whatever they wore to work that day.

If you're anywhere near Van Alstyne, ping me and I'll take you to a meeting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Eat and LARP
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I appreciate the replies.  I live near Comfort, Texas, about 12 miles NW of Boerne.  

You described the difference kinds of meetings.  What I see all the time on web sites are dates for "stated meetings."  What are those?
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:48:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HenryKnoxFineBooks] [#12]

Those are the regular business meetings of the month.  Anything else could be considered a special meeting.  Terminology varies a little based on jurisdiction.
View Quote

As an example, we have a monthly stated meeting, and my Lodge just does the things Grand Lodge law requires us to do in a stated meeting - we like to keep them short, as in under one hour. I got one done in 34 minutes and a more recent Master got one done in 32 minutes. We then have called meetings, just about every week, where we perform the degree ceremonies. We have an open meeting once a quarter for a lunch with families and a guest lecture. We also have open education dinners in the months without the lunch.

The stated and called meetings are what we call tiled - only Masons in good standing may attend. The others are open to Masons, and anyone else. These meetings are where potential candidates can be introduced to Lodge members and we can feel each other out for good fit before starting the petition process.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, thanks.... so a Stated Meeting is not one I would visit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#15]

The meeting itself no. There is often a dinner prior though that guests are usually invited to.
View Quote

Invited? So you can't just show up?
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ruark:

Invited? So you can't just show up?
View Quote

You can just show up, but only Masons can attend meetings. If the meeting has started, you'll have to wait outside until the meeting is over.

Unless it is during dinner. They'll likely welcome you and offer a plate.

Best to contact a Mason in your area first, and he can tell you when is the best time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:10:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JacobusRex] [#19]
We mostly eat burnt offerings provided by the Stewards.

In all seriousness, I'm a Texas Mason.  If you have questions just shoot me a message.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Filet mignon topped with onion rings filled with garlic mashed potatoes.  Demi glaze and asparagus.  Greek salad preceded that with a berry and mascarpone dessert.
View Quote

I need to visit . Our lodge needs to up the game.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 4:18:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KTM990] [#21]
Hey Brothers,
Not new to AR15 but new login because it's been forever since I was active.  

I'll be honest, I've stopped going to lodge.  Unless there is consistent education or the lodge is seriously involved with a charitable organization and needs constant attention, the meetings tend to be dry and boring.  I'm a member of two lodges and my more recent lodge is just a continuous degree or business meeting circulation.  There is a lot more talking going on just with the opening and closing of lodge than there is in actual meat in the meeting.

My mother lodge, Harry S. Truman #1727 Grand Rolls of Scotland was fantastic by comparison. They have a full bar (as proper Freemasonry should) and are very active in the community.  Engaging and friendly, and the kind of place you want to be.

My mother lodge's District Grand Lodge is in Hong Kong at Zetland Hall. Quite an ornate location and LOTS of activity.  Considerably high brow but s much fun. The restaurant/lounge is great as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Still no answer as to what gets discussed beyond the mechanics of running a club or other organization. That is the primary reason I was never interested in joining. I worked with a couple masons and they would not tell me ANYTHING about the organization. It may well be beneficial, but I'll never know. And I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By t44e6:
Still no answer as to what gets discussed beyond the mechanics of running a club or other organization. That is the primary reason I was never interested in joining. I worked with a couple masons and they would not tell me ANYTHING about the organization. It may well be beneficial, but I'll never know. And I'm good with that.
View Quote

The mechanics of running the Lodge is what is discussed at meetings. It is a basic business meeting that follows the same format as most group meetings. Like a school board meeting.
New business, old business, petitions, communications, and voting.

As Dan said, feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:39:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mucknuggle] [#25]
Originally Posted By KTM990:
Hey Brothers,
Not new to AR15 but new login because it's been forever since I was active.  

I'll be honest, I've stopped going to lodge.  Unless there is consistent education or the lodge is seriously involved with a charitable organization and needs constant attention, the meetings tend to be dry and boring.  I'm a member of two lodges and my more recent lodge is just a continuous degree or business meeting circulation.  There is a lot more talking going on just with the opening and closing of lodge than there is in actual meat in the meeting.

My mother lodge, Harry S. Truman #1727 Grand Rolls of Scotland was fantastic by comparison. They have a full bar (as proper Freemasonry should) and are very active in the community.  Engaging and friendly, and the kind of place you want to be.

My mother lodge's District Grand Lodge is in Hong Kong at Zetland Hall. Quite an ornate location and LOTS of activity.  Considerably high brow but s much fun. The restaurant/lounge is great as well.
View Quote

Have to be honest, the dinner before and the bar across the street after are much more fun than the actual business meeting.

Really the majority of the business meeting could be done in 5 minutes and/or by email/text between the officers and they could expand the social/brotherhood/charity component with no more time spent.

You could still have the degrees/ceremonies and I bet retention and new members would be better.

The Masons could use technology a lot more/better than they do, without letting it encroach into the actual Masonic ceremonies.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#26]

I thought we spelled it out pretty clearly.  Not the answer you want or is there a specific question you want to ask?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By t44e6:

I thought we spelled it out pretty clearly.  Not the answer you want or is there a specific question you want to ask?

My wife (and a lot of people) does what the OP is doing. If she doesn't like or understand something, she has a hard time understanding that they do anything. She even asks it the same way, "What do they DO?".

Like you need a line by line minute by minute accounting of every second. But never for the things you already understand.

It's a character flaw, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#28]
what, no green beans ? jk jk
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I think what's being asked is, what do the masons accomplish?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By andrewbp:
View Quote

There is always green beans.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
View Quote

We try to leave the world better than we found it.

Work on bettering ourselves, our faith, our family, and our communities.

It's pretty basic actually. We try to accomplish these things through various methods that we discuss and vote on during our meetings.

It is literally like most businesses or government meetings.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:37:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: diggerwolf] [#33]
View Quote

At the basic (Blue) lodge level, at least mine, I can't say we accomplish something at every meeting except camaraderie, friendship, and brotherly love.

When we do accomplish something tangible, it's usually a fundraiser for local groups we choose. For example, we give scholarships to deserving high school students every year, we recently raised money for our local Boy Scout troop to buy a new trailer, we purchased and installed a new ice maker for the local senior center, assistance for brothers in need, etc.

If your question is what the broader body of Masonry accomplishes, I encourage you to look into Scottish Rite Pediatric Orthopedic Hospitals and Shriner Children's Hospitals.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Complain about too many canned green beans for dinner
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:31:24 AM EDT
[#36]
@Ruark

If you're curious about Masonry the best place to start is to visit a local lodge.  Let me know if you are interested and I can help you get in touch with one.  

At least in the US, for a Grand Lodge (statewide body) and a Lodge (local body) to be considered regular (recognized and accepted by other regular Grand Lodges) they would have to have a prohibition on the discussion of religion and politics in lodge.  Parking lot discussions before or after the meeting are free game.

We have different types of meetings and these will vary some from one jurisdiction to the next.  I am using Utah for a frame of reference.  

A Regular Meeting is where we conduct the monthly business of the lodge:  read the minutes of previous meetings, pay bills, plan upcoming events, vote on new members, review financial reports, etc.

A Degree Meeting is where applicants go through the three degrees of Masonry.  These are solemn meetings where moral lessons are taught through allegory.  

Table Lodges are meetings centered around a meal.  There may be some light business conducted.

Grand Lodge is the annual session where all of the delegates from the individual lodges gather to discuss legislation, review reports, elect new statewide officers, etc.  

Regular Meetings and Table Lodges may also include some kind of educational feature.  Our last meeting we had a great presentation on the differences between English and US Masonry from a local brother who is very active in UK Masonry. This included a very nice dinner (pic below).  Last year we watched a short video on Plato's Allegory of the Cave and then discussed some of the symbolism.  

My home lodge is redefining our meetings in light of some other changes.  We are planning to have very short business meetings, a great catered meal and a speaker (Masonic and non-Masonic).  

We have members of all belief structures, political leanings, professional backgrounds, and sexual orientation.  I know gay/bi members, Muslim/Jew/Catholic/LDS members, Republican/Democratic/Libertarian members, doctors/lawyers/truck drivers/mechanics/teachers, etc.  We don't care about those things.  

The dress code of a lodge will vary.  Some are pretty casual, jeans and polo, others are always dark suit or even a tuxedo.  I own two tuxedos and wear them two dozen times a year easily.  My Lodge is typically dark suit for all meetings.  Some guys don't own a suit and that's not a problem either.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23077/Steak-1979557.jpg
View Quote

/thread

Man, you guys eat good!
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:32:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#37]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:52:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Backnblack] [#38]
Originally Posted By diggerwolf:
I can't improve on medicmandan's response except to say that there is no discernable dress code for stated meetings at my blue lodge in north Texas. Most guys show up in whatever they wore to work that day.

If you're anywhere near Van Alstyne, ping me and I'll take you to a meeting.
View Quote

Same for my Lodge here north of Houston. Same offer as above... We meet on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays.
Doors are open around 1700, Eat at 1830, Gavel drops at 1930
Only hard rule we have for Dress is No Shorts or Offensive shirts
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Go to an NFL football game in a large stadium.

At random, pick 200 men from the crowd.

That is your normal makeup of a Lodge.

All shapes, all sizes, different religions, different political beliefs.

I know of many ultra hard core lefties in my Lodge, and hard core righties.

And everything in between.

But we don’t talk about it at Lodge.

There are lots of other things to talk about.

Normal business, when we will be starting on our new Lodge, how much money are we giving away this month, how can we hold more fundraisers to give away more money.

Absolutely NONE of our fundraiser money is going into the building of our new Lodge.  Those funds come from donations from members and bequeathed dollars.  And our investments.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

@jo51700

Last year my small town Lodge gave almost $200,000 to various charities, community programs, law enforcement agencies, schools, women’s shelters, clothing banks for children, and a few others I can’t remember.

That is what we DO.

We work very hard to make our communities better places.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

@jo51700

Last year my small town Lodge gave almost $200,000 to various charities, community programs, law enforcement agencies, schools, women’s shelters, clothing banks for children, and a few others I can’t remember.

That is what we DO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

@jo51700

That is what we DO.

Wow. You guys are tearing it up!
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:01:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#42]
It's an awesome, young lodge, we are adding members and we have a few long established fund raisers.

The golf tournament is well sponsored and our car show is one of the biggest in the area, the only ones bigger are in the Twin Cities.

Lots of energy.

One of our members is also very active in the Shrine, and our Lodge.

This year he is taking over 500 kids to the Shrine circus.

He says his goal is 1000 and I know he will make it.

That guy is a dynamo.  Member of 3 Lodges and the Shrine and active in all of them.

One of our most interesting donations was to buy these fire extinguisher sized fire killers.  It's a pressurized unit full of liquid nitrogen.  We gave the to local LEO since they are usually first on scene at a fire.

To deploy it, you pull the pin and throw it into a burning building.  It super cools the area, and may remove oxygen.

Two have been used and both of them severely reduced the fire to a point where they were able to knock it down with fire extinguishers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Have a pretty good meal.  Then a boring business meeting.  Once the old farts leave we open the cooler.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 57plymouth:
Have a pretty good meal.  Then a boring business meeting.  Once the old farts leave we open the cooler.
View Quote
In my blue lodge (MA), it was the old guys that immediately headed to the hard stuff as soon as the lodge officially closed!

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Ours is a Dry Lodge.
I thinks it's a hold over from the Temperance Movement, but as Steward I make sure the Brothers who enjoy are taken care of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top