Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2018 11:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spartacus2002]
I use a mix of several different things for my 4th and 6th Grader:

-Science: Khan Academy Chemistry
-English: First we used FIrst Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, graduated out of that into Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind
-History: Story of the World, currently finishing Vol. 2.  This is our BIG subject (along with math and grammar) because I want them grounded in Western Civ.  We supplement with video lectures, Hardcore History podcasts, and movies.  For ancient Mycenae and the Trojan War, we watched Troy; excerpts from 300 for Greek-Persian wars; for Roman Republic, Spartacus with Kirk Douglas; for Roman Empire, Gladiator (my 10yo daughter's favorite movie).  Not for their historical veracity, but for the visual flavor.
-Math: Saxon Math 6/5
-Latin: Getting Started with Latin which is pretty neat because the writer has put a free audio lesson and pronunciation guide on his website for each lesson in the book.
-we are taking a break from Latin to do Computer Science on Code.org in their Express Course.
-Spelling/vocabulary: Spectrum workbook with the words from each lesson manually typed into Spelling City for testing
-Writing: Tried to use Writing With Ease from welltrainedmind.com, but it didn't work for us. Switched to Classical Writing http://classicalwriting.com/index.htm
-Reading: my son reads well, my daughter needs help with pronunciation (as well as reading what is actually on the page, not what she thinks or guesses is there), so she reads aloud each day for 20 minutes from The Hobbit while I read alongside to correct her as necessary
-Logical reasoning: The Thinking Toolbox  and two Logic Links puzzles per day.

Yes, this is a BRUTAL schedule that will give unschoolers a heart attack . We go from 0830 to 1430 four days a week, with one day at a co-op for fun and hanging out with other kids.   It works for us. I had some standardized testing done on each kid in 20+ academic areas in December, and they are both far ahead of grade level in nearly everything.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]
For my son, we use a variety of different curriculum.

My daughter is using Trail Guide for Learning and she really likes that and has learned a lot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
We use a combination of curricula for each child, as well as fine arts co-op for music, dance, drama, etc
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Similar but Singapore Math with "Challenging Word Problems". Hadn't thought of the coding... But my wife and I like the idea. Moved on from " Getting Started with Latin" to A Latin book from 1936.

Science was Pandia Crest Science Odyssey but now Elemental Science. What standardized test battery was that?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bollox:
Hadn't thought of the coding... But my wife and I like the idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bollox:
Hadn't thought of the coding... But my wife and I like the idea.
I also bought a Raspberry Pi kit to hook up to an old monitor so they can take turns coding Python programs for fun.  I don't expect them to become software engineers, but it's a good way to understand how computers and software affect our economy.

Moved on from " Getting Started with Latin" to A Latin book from 1936.
Lemme guess: Wheelock's Latin?

Science was Pandia Crest Science Odyssey but now Elemental Science.
I don't know either of those.  but I do know that the homeschool science world is rife with religious overtones.  I tried a few science programs, but they all ended up with the equivalent of "why do the planets orbit the sun? Because God wants them to!" which is literally what one program said. It is very frustrating.

What standardized test battery was that?
Woodcock-Johnson IV.  It can test in over 20 areas such as problem-solving, reading comprehension, reading speed, history, humanities, etc.  The results are given in 4 ways:
-simple "average, average-advanced, advanced, very advanced, average-behind, behind, very-behind" for grade level in every tested area
-same, but for age
-what grade level the child performs at in each tested area
-same, but for age
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mohawk17] [#5]
Singapore Math, Phonics pathways, and Handwriting without Tears for my 6 yo daughter. We also go to Classical Conversations coop one day a week, and use the audio cd's for memory work.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mohawk17:
Singapore Math, Phonics pathways, and Handwriting without Tears for my 6 yo daughter. We also go to Classical Conversations coop one say a week, and use the audio cd's for memory work.
View Quote
I looked into Classical Conversations. It seems like a great program, but it would add too much to what we are already doing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
We are using a mix. Mainly BJU with some odd and ends for each. My daughter has a little more specialty because she has a hearing disability and can't hear the phonetic sounds.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Classical conversations. My wife is a tutor.  Saxon math.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
We use several different curricula for different subjects.

We are considering lifepacks for next year, my wife likes what she sees.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]
We are using LifePac.  So far we like it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By skylane:
Classical conversations. My wife is a tutor.  Saxon math.
View Quote
Same here.  Wife also a tutor, both curricula.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Mosh of different curricular, my wife is diligent to match learning styles with resources.  Kids chose church youth groups over coop this year for socializing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:23:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgtlmj] [#13]
We started out using Book Shark for our kindergartner, but he's now 8 and his brother is in K. I needed the structure that Book Shark provided to get started and I'm grateful for that, but I've found that mixing up the curricula works better for us and keeps it interesting.

Reading:  All About Reading from All About Learning Press.  Good program. Our kindergartner is reading at a 1st Grade level now. Our 2nd Grader has some visual stuff going on. He knows how to read, but his eyeballs aren't cooperating so we're starting him in vision therapy.

Math: Singapore/Khan Academy

Writing: Handwriting Without Tears

Science: Usborne Science Encyclopedia and supplement with hands-on, Youtube, etc.

History: The Story of the World.

We do reading, writing, and math at individual levels, but both kids, 5 & 8, do history and science together. We are also in a co-op with the local school district, so they go one day a week to an enrichment program that does music, PE, Spanish, etc. We also just started Cub Scouts for more socialization. The boys love it.

I try to keep ahead of them, and just finished the Khan Academy College Algebra. It's been a long time since I did any of that, and I needed to get my mind wrapped around some of the concepts. Singapore math makes a lot of sense, and even more after a refresher in algebra. They are setting the kids up for variables and equations.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#14]
subscribed. I really want to take the plunge.

Is there a primer for new home-schoolers?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#15]
Replied in different post
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump for more ideas/input.

Will be homeschooling ours for 3rd and 5th grade this year.

We use Khan a lot for math supplemental but looking for more options.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Keib:
subscribed. I really want to take the plunge.

Is there a primer for new home-schoolers?
View Quote

@Keib

If you want to talk by cellphone PM me with your number and a good time to call.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
In!
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Working on rounding out a curriculum for my 3rd and 5th graders.

Some of what we've been using - open to other suggestions:

Math: Khan primarily with various workbooks for supplements/drills
Foreign Language: "Getting Started with Latin" , also Japanese grammar (bilingual)  
History: "The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child, vol 1"
CS: Python (Turtle and various Mindcraft projects)
Reading: They always do 20 mins a day, also do companion workbooks for many of the classics

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife and I have pretty much decided we’re going to home school our 3rd grader and kindergartener this next year and trying to narrow down a curriculum.  We were wondering if anyone has any experience with Oak Meadow?
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:58:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Undaunted] [#21]
Many thanks to @spartacus2002 for putting me on a good path!
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone familiar with both, Kahn and Saxon for math? If so, please share pros/cons of each.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:44:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#23]
On Facebook there is a Homeschool Curriculum Marketplace for buying and selling textbooks based on subject. Good place to get items that another family has outgrown for less than new prices. I think there is about 80,000 members in the group.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#24]
We continue to refine the plan. Since I won't be shelling out $6K for my 6th grader's private school, we haven't been sheepish about buying stuff.

Kahn for math;
Spectrum for language arts, spelling and reading; We also picked up the Tuttle Twins series. We also have the Well Trained Mind resources.
The Story of the World for history;

We are not resolved on science, but have a number of resources. "Ask Me" series for kids. First How Things Work Encyclopedia for hands on projects.

Typesy for....Typing

Duo Lingo for Spanish

The Thinking Toolbox - 35 Lessons to build reasoning skills.

I think the biggest hurdle will be getting a schedule together that works for all of us. I would like them to have a 4 day week. My wife is actually excited about getting into it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 9:41:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#25]
Another thing to think about is duel enrollment in freshman college courses for students in high school. You can homeschool ( or public school) and at least in Florida, students can enroll in freshman college courses at no charge for the classes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:10:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MattM_Gilbert] [#26]
Anyone familiar with both, Kahn and Saxon for math? If so, please share pros/cons of each.

View Quote
Four of my five children have excelled using Saxon as their primary mathematics curricula.

I had Saxon as the core of my public education, and it served me very well.  By this, I mean excellent performance on the ACT, SAT, and a rigorous college education as an engineer.  My oldest son is excelling and tutoring college algebra as a teenager who is not yet old enough to drive.  So, I like the Saxon approach.

You are on a great path by selecting computer science education right out of the gate.

Edit to Add (ETA): My son is taking college algebra at the nearby community college.  Our approach to home education is not to isolate our kids, yet rather to not waste their TIME in any form of their education.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:09:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Swen] [#27]
edit see below
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

We use both.  Going to homeschool our youngest this year continuing with Saxon. Both our sons, 6th and 10th grade this year, have done well with Saxon, both are a grade level ahead in math.  What we like about Saxon is that it reviews previously learned concepts while introducing new content.  Khan is great for getting additional help when concepts get tough, or as parents we use it to review concepts we have forgotten so we can help our kids when they get stuck.  Additionally, we have our boys do the complete grade level they just completed in school, over the summer as a review.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#29]
My thanks Swen and Matt! My wife served me with a crazy spreadsheet tonight. She is gearing up nicely.

I've always enjoyed the "Extra Credits" history channel on youtube. Are there other yt channels that you incorporate with your kids?
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#30]
My thanks Swen and Matt! My wife served me with a crazy spreadsheet tonight. She is gearing up nicely.

I've always enjoyed the "Extra Credits" history channel on youtube. Are there other yt channels that you incorporate with your kids?
View Quote
A few off the top of my head:

Smarter EveryDay
MathAntics
Imperial College London (Professor Eric Laithwaite's classics)
CutiePie (tin whistle lessons)
TurboChicken (djembe lessons)

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:55:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dbrowne1] [#31]
Any experience with powerhomeschool.org?

I'm most likely going to be homeschooling my 3rd grader this year, given that the alternative is an utter clusterfuck attempt at "virtual learning."

I've got a curriculum sketched out using things we used during the shutdown (Epic, IXL, BBC Bitesize) and some of the suggestions in this thread. But from a schedule and "progress testing" standpoint, it would be nice to have a integrated "base of fire" to use. He crushed the CogAT test last year and has already completed most of the 3rd grade math on IXL.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Swen:

We use both.  Going to homeschool our youngest this year continuing with Saxon. Both our sons, 6th and 10th grade this year, have done well with Saxon, both are a grade level ahead in math.  What we like about Saxon is that it reviews previously learned concepts while introducing new content.  Khan is great for getting additional help when concepts get tough, or as parents we use it to review concepts we have forgotten so we can help our kids when they get stuck.  Additionally, we have our boys do the complete grade level they just completed in school, over the summer as a review.
View Quote

Mine are getting along with Khan alright so far. I personally hate the "grouping" thing though and am lousy at teaching it. Grouping in my head was rather intuitive as a kid, without the crazy boxes/diagrams.

Interestingly, their favorite subject is Spanish, although they are enjoying the daily science projects too. Ironing out a consistent routine is the big challenge. My wife just isn't militaristic with the schedule. Its only week 2, so I'm not pushing too hard.

In all, I am glad we made the move. Thanks to those that have contributed to this thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Classical Conversations and Math-U-See
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#34]
#3 is almost done and then we will be done.

Some resources we liked/used

The well Trained mind for Ideas....I could NEVER ever do what she does....(add to that she has now gotten political on her page)  I recommend this to everyone as a idea builder

History

Story of the World...her test books made great conversation at the dinner table
Historical Fiction
also the books from Critical Thinking Company
I cant remember what Geography we used....the series had letters to designate order
Crash Course video

Math

Teaching Textbooks
Learn Math Fast
not one kid liked Aleks.
We used a bit of Math u See
Math puzzle books from Critical Thinking Company
Fred is an awesome spin on math....helped thru some tough concepts (got it from Horrible books....he also carries all the horrible history and science books which really gets boys attention to history and science).  I have numerous picture of the boy reading them for fun

Tyker is good for coding (website)

We read for English mostly.
Crash Course
Easy Grammar when younger....was written with the Homeschooler in mind
Did word roots with the Latin

For Latin....we only did a little....we used the Memoria press Latin and a website with Latin roots.  I cant recall the name

Science was a mix of alot of things....
There are chemistry subscription kits
Crash course
Field dressing what you hunted
we did alot of classes and campsat various Ecology and audubon centers

So much new stuff available daily.

We were very very eccletic and sometime even "unschooly"

Mrs
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#35]
and Outschool

tons and tons of speciality classes there....science taught using Marvel characters.....lots of things...most really reasonable.   Good tool to prevent burn out

Mrs
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:07:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By hercules:
My wife and I have pretty much decided we’re going to home school our 3rd grader and kindergartener this next year and trying to narrow down a curriculum.  We were wondering if anyone has any experience with Oak Meadow?
View Quote

We're using oak meadow, wtfe loves it. We have both kids on the second grade curriculum and will be getting third grade. We use some other apps like epic reading and splash math.

My son uses FLVS (Florida home school) for Spanish, daughter gleans some here and there but cannot use FLVS because of the autism scholarships we've applied for.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Any recommendations for curriculum starting out with kindergarten?
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By QuantumPion:
Any recommendations for curriculum starting out with kindergarten?
View Quote

Same here. I’m new to all this but have been reading these past few days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top